Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Missing return to Apple - reassure me, please!

Missing return to Apple - reassure me, please!
AWShuttleworth
Jan 20, 2005, 12:31 PM

OK, I was dumb. Am I completely screwed, or is there still hope?

Here's what happened - my seven year old niece, not really realizing what she was doing, accidentally ordered an iPod through the Apple website using my credit card info, which Firefox annoyingly remembered.

I called Apple that night to cancel the order, and they said that the order hadn't gone through yet so they didn't have access to it, and would I please call them back in the morning when they reopened.

I called them back as soon as I got up, and I was informed that I was too late, as the iPod had already shipped. No problem, they said - we'll set up the return and you can mail it back as soon as it gets there. Don't worry about it.

So it got there, and I took it straight down to the post office, attached my RMA number to it, and sent it away. I told the guy at the USPS that I didn't need it sent with any special rush. He didn't offer, and I didn't think to ask for, any insurance or tracking.

Man, was that dumb.

It's been about three weeks now since I sent it back, and I still haven't seen any credit to my account. Am I screwed, or is there still a chance that it's going to get there in one piece and I'll get my money back?
Hi. Nice to see you. You look lovely.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 12:37 PM

You won't necessarily see a credit on your account immediately. Have you called Apple to ask whether they received it?

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 12:50 PM

Why was your niece ordering iPods exactly?

AWShuttleworth  (op)
Jan 20, 2005, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Why was your niece ordering iPods exactly?
Heh, I think she was mostly just clicking. I'm pretty sure she didn't realize what she was doing.

I haven't called Apple yet. I'll try giving them a call later today.

misc
Jan 20, 2005, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by AWShuttleworth:
Heh, I think she was mostly just clicking. I'm pretty sure she didn't realize what she was doing.

Maybe she's trying to tell you something.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 01:14 PM

Your niece knew exactly what she was doing. IF she can read, she knew what "Buy" meant, checkout, confirm, etc.

I can't believe you shipped an iPod USPS without tracking or insurance. But now you know.

Call Apple with the RMA number and see if they received it.

And next time, keep the iPod!

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2005, 07:01 PM

You allowed your web browser to save your credit card details? Yow!

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 07:06 PM

Does your niece also work for the post office?

I cannot believe that you would send something that costly back without insurance or tracking or something. Why are people so cheap? It costs $1.30 to buy insurance and/or another .40 for delivery confirmation. Or $2.60 for $100 insurance and they have to sign for it to receive it.

Oh well.

OceanState
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 20, 2005, 07:12 PM

Some credit card co's will tell you it takes at least one whole billing cycle for credits to show up. They're floating that money around somwhere ...

AWShuttleworth  (op)
Jan 20, 2005, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
Why are people so cheap? It costs $1.30 to buy insurance and/or another .40 for delivery confirmation. Or $2.60 for $100 insurance and they have to sign for it to receive it.
Well, now, that's not exactly necessary. Like I said, it was just that it didn't occur to me, not that I'm "so cheap." Of course I know that it was dumb.

But it's good to hear that it might just take a while to show up. I can be patient.

I don't have the RMA numbers with me here in Portland, but when I go back to Boston this weekend, I'll call Apple and ask whether they've got it.

Thanks, all.

A.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2005, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by AWShuttleworth:

You're lucky she didn't decide that she needed PowerMac to go with that iPod.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2005, 10:32 PM

or one of those "dream configuration" pages we all go and click through during a borign day just to see how much money we could spend at the apple store. those sometimes "stick" just like a credit card number might.

dual 30s, dual 2.5Ghz, etc.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 12:19 AM

This is a WIERD story. So many dumb things that happened? My 8 yo brother couldn't have done this w/o knowing what he was doing - why ship USPS? Doesn't Apple got through DHL (or whatever) for returns?

I'm confused.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2005, 04:54 AM

Apple does RMAs through the same shipper they mail the item to you. When I bought the first rev Dual USB iBook they sent me two by accident. When I reported it they sent me shipping lables with the postage paid and told me to call to have the iBook picked up.

This story is BS.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2005, 08:06 AM

That's right, they DO normally have you return it to them through their regular shipping company, DHL (formerly Airborne), don't they?

But, that doesn't mean that he didn't just ignore directions or convention. After all, he did send it back without caring to guarantee that it actually DID arrive.

Some post office dude is probably having a swinging good time with that iPod right about now.

But, just to let you know, it probably did arrive. The post office is pretty safe.

On the other hand, your credit card company is not going to issue a refund unless they have proof that it was sent back.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 21, 2005, 08:29 AM

Did anybody elese think this thread is about a guy who's been using a PC for the last 9 years and is conemplating getting a new Mac but needs some assurance that his decision is right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules