Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Menu bar battery gauge problems

Menu bar battery gauge problems
PJW
Forum Regular
Mar 12, 2005, 03:53 PM

Lately, the battery gauge in my menu bar has not been giving me the correct readout on my battery. When it gets down to one hour left, the computer goes into sleep. I don't even get the reserve battery warning anymore. I'm on a 867 12" PB that's about a year and a half old. Thanks in advance.
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

AWShuttleworth
Mar 12, 2005, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by PJW:
Lately, the battery gauge in my menu bar has not been giving me the correct readout on my battery. When it gets down to one hour left, the computer goes into sleep. I don't even get the reserve battery warning anymore. I'm on a 867 12" PB that's about a year and a half old. Thanks in advance.
I developed a similar problem with my 17-incher. I called Apple, they said it was a battery issue, and they replaced it for free under AppleCare. New battery, problem gone.

I'm not sure what caused it, but Apple said it was a problem within the battery, not in the software or computer.
Hi. Nice to see you. You look lovely.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2005, 04:25 PM

You might need to recalibrate the battery. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

Chris

AWShuttleworth
Mar 12, 2005, 04:26 PM

But, you see, that is what he is doing; using the battery until the computer goes into sleep and then recharging.

The issue is that the battery is reporting that it has more charge left than it actually does.
Hi. Nice to see you. You look lovely.

zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2005, 04:31 AM

every now and then mine tells me I have 4 mins of charge left ... moments before that I've had 2hrs+ ... then it goes back to telling me I've got 2hrs+

the problem is .... sometimes it panics and tells me I need to shut down because I've not got enough battery...

Closing the lid, letting it sleep and then waking it up always fixes it

weird

Forum Links
Forum Rules