Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Apache Causing Problems?

Apache Causing Problems?
Richard Clark
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 04:00 PM

OS X Server
10.3.9 (all security updates
G5/1.6 Single
1 GB RAM

Ok, I'm in deep.

My OS X server was helping out another server earlier this week. We restored everything but were concerned about data speed. So we tried to retrieve again. Everything locked up. We cancelled the update from the Comvault backup and then I restarted the OS X server.

From then on the server would not come up all the way. It sits on "Apple File Services" for a long time. Finally it comes up to the log-in screen but won't take it.

I've booted from the OS Installation disk and ran all repairs which didn't find anything. Tried to reset up the password for the Server volume but it won't let me.

I've booted from a Firewire drive and re-installed 10.3.9 thinking that might help but didn't.

Talked with Apple and they thought the Net Info file was damaged and needed to have the backup restored.

Here is what was sent via e-mail:

" Restoring a broken netinfo database from backup.
> http://www.osxfaq.com/tips/unix-tric...79/thursday.ws
> Boot into single user mode - hold down command-s on startup and wait
> for the text to finish scrolling. Issue the commands:
>
> $ mount -uw /
> $ mv /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb /var/db/netinfo/corrupt.nidb
> The next steps were taken from an article by O'Reilly. They start up
> NetInfo and create an empty database.
> $ /usr/libexec/kextd
> $ /usr/sbin/configd
> $ /sbin/SystemStarter
> $ /usr/libexec/create_nidb
> $ /usr/sbin/netinfod -s local
> Finally use niload to load the backed up database:
> $ niload -d -r / . < /path/to/backed-up/database "

When I try to run the /sbin/SystemStarter it gets to "Waiting for Apache Web Server" and does not go any further. How do I stop Apache? I don't use it for this server. Why would it be causing problems?

This server is used for imaging workstations. It also has a second hard drive that holds our software repository.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance!
"Tough Little Ship" - Riker
"LITTLE?" - Worf after having the Defiant salvaged by the Enterprise (First Contact)

Forum Links
Forum Rules