Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Centon Memory/RAM?

Centon Memory/RAM?
ZAPsx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2004, 09:51 AM

Just bought a 512mb Centon RAM stick for my PB. Installed it and the Xbench score has dropped by 3 points. From 133 to 130. Is this normal. Nothing seems slower on the notebook. Poerformace about the same.

Is this good quality RAM from CompUSA, got it for $130 seems like agood deal?

Just want to know if anyone has had problems with this RAM.

Cheers.
PowerBook G4 17-inch 1.5ghz Rev.C 128 Vram 80G 5400 Hardrive
250G Maxtor External Drive
Blue Mini iPod

psk-ele
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2004, 03:09 PM

CompUSA was selling 512MB sticks of DDR2100/2700 PNY memory for $94.99 plus a $30 mail-in rebate. I bought it for my PB and my GFs iBook and we have noticed a performance boost. I don't know why you would drop performance points for more memory, though. I'm not really into the whole xbench performance thing.

If you don't experience crashes or kernal panics, then the memory is fine and I guess that is just how it goes (with your xbench score). But $100-150 is pretty average for 512MB sticks of notebook ram from what I have seen.
"When people say that Macs suck, that
means they have never used
them.....trust me...."

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2004, 03:22 PM

check and make sure you actually installed it correctly (apple menu-> about this mac, check and make sure the memory is what you have installed). Otherwise an xbench score is going to be influenced by a lot of factors, so don't use it as a measure of if your memory is helping you or not.

Forum Links
Forum Rules