Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple to use Ex-Sony Eng for new PB?

Apple to use Ex-Sony Eng for new PB?
jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 04:47 PM

I'm sure many, like me, are eager for the next gen PowerBook. I came across an article on the MacRumor site that references this:

Ex-Sony New PB

Anyone else find this exciting? Believable? I'd love to replace my Dell Inspirion 8200 with a new Mac laptop. But I think the current PB needs a major overhaul.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2005, 05:54 PM

I think the current powerbooks look far superior to that sony yuck, and pretty much any other laptop on the market, except maybe a few of the Voodoo PC laptops....

osxisfun
Aug 3, 2005, 06:17 PM

they not looking at sony for ID they are looking for engineers.

jhogarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 3, 2005, 06:36 PM

Ya, I dont want a PC cloney laptop. Want the lovely Apple product. But the sony displays I've seen lately are very nice.

J.
Converted 4/29/05

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2005, 06:40 PM

I don't really believe this rumor, though there are 2 things to say:

1. Given all of Apple's "hell frozen over" changes lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they hired Michael Dell and fired Jonathan Ives
2. Sony "miniaturized" the Mac Portable and came up with the original Powerbook..
Aloha

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 06:43 PM

The only thing the PB is lacking IMHO is a more powerful CPU.

I would love to see a sub-notebook from Apple (no optical drive) in the $600 range.

bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
I'm sure many, like me, are eager for the next gen PowerBook. I came across an article on the MacRumor site that references this:

Ex-Sony New PB

Anyone else find this exciting? Believable? I'd love to replace my Dell Inspirion 8200 with a new Mac laptop. But I think the current PB needs a major overhaul.

J.

I personally think the current powerbooks are fine and should remain that way until some revolutionary break through at Apple comes along. Manufactures these days just pump out laptops with stupid useless features just the other day I had to ghost two toshiba laptops that had these fancy CD controls on the exterior of the laptop great so where's the software for it?? I installed every single driver and piece of software for those laptops from the Toshiba web site just to see if I could get the buttons to work and surprise surprise no luck. Same goes for dell we have two Inspiron 850D's (I think those are the numbers) they have a set of volume up/down and mute buttons on the laptop after install all the software from their site nadda couldn't get the buttons to work. Also all their stupid addon software to power all the fancy features always add one stupid icon to the system tray and slows the machine down on bootup.

The only thing I think would really help the powerbooks and iBook is if they increased the screen resolution on the 12/14 inch ibook and 12inch powerbook 1024x768 just dosen't cut it
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

jhogarty  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer

Agreed, that is the item I really want. More POWER! :-)

J.
Converted 4/29/05

ibook_steve

Originally Posted by osxisfun
they not looking at sony for ID they are looking for engineers.

I find this rumor very hard to believe. I worked there and the current Powerbook engineers are more than qualified to design an Intel based laptop without anybody's help. A CPU and chipset change doesn't make much of a difference to a board design engineer. It's just a different set of components to integrate into the design.

Steve

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 3, 2005, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Link
1. Given all of Apple's "hell frozen over" changes lately, I wouldn't be surprised if they hired Michael Dell and fired Jonathan Ives
They're looking for Ex-Sony people to design the insides, not the outsides.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

osxisfun
Aug 3, 2005, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve
I find this rumor very hard to believe. I worked there and the current Powerbook engineers are more than qualified to design an Intel based laptop without anybody's help. A CPU and chipset change doesn't make much of a difference to a board design engineer. It's just a different set of components to integrate into the design.

Steve

i should add. "if the rumors" are true. but i don't find it hard to believe at all if apple wants to nab some sony notebook guys to fill out their team. not only is it no harm, its acutally a smart move.

I was David B.
Location: there are days when I wake up and thats exactly my question
Aug 4, 2005, 09:52 AM

Sony used to build powerbooks for apple in the past. And even nowadays european powerbooks are serviced at the sony service site in the netherlands.

The idea does not sound that far fetched.

Surely apple will do the exterior design itself. But, if you ever had one of these cute 13 inch widescreen vaios in your hand...

If they would run a decent operating system (=OS X) I would not hesitate to buy one.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 10:25 AM

As has been said in previous posts, these ex-Sony people are to do the engineering of the laptops, helping the Apple people get up to speed with the Intel architecture. They are not being involved to design the exterior look of the machines at all. This was on Engadget last week, and the comments were basically having the same argument. The Intel apple laptop will not be a Vaio with an Apple badge on it, it will be an Apple design, with a bit of Sony engineering on the motherboard.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2005, 05:51 PM

The interesting thing about it is that if they really had these problems, and given apple's relationship with sony and the laptops, you'd think they'd be working with the company -- not trying to sneak over their ex-employees!
Aloha

osxisfun
Aug 4, 2005, 05:55 PM

not if its not in their current biz plan.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2005, 06:39 PM

not a good idea in my estimation. apple didn't ask them to help develop the tibook, G4 chip, ipod or anything else so why start now? apple is the innovator, the japs will always be the imitator.

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

mattsgotredhair
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp
not a good idea in my estimation. apple didn't ask them to help develop the tibook, G4 chip, ipod or anything else so why start now? apple is the innovator, the japs will always be the imitator.
Did you seriously just say that?
maybe you've been brainwashed too.

osxisfun
Aug 4, 2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by teknopimp

Wow. care to slur any more races while you have the mic?

hint: just say you meant to type "japanese"...

cloudaj
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by goMac
They're looking for Ex-Sony people to design the insides, not the outsides.
exactly, props to goMac for saying what i was going to say verbatim

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2005, 09:19 PM

political correctness sucks anyways. bill mahr is my hero.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 4, 2005, 10:19 PM

love the eBay ads -- "Powerbook G5"

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2005, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Link
The interesting thing about it is that if they really had these problems, and given apple's relationship with sony and the laptops, you'd think they'd be working with the company -- not trying to sneak over their ex-employees!
But now Sony and Apple are competing in the laptop market. Sony won't be about to roll over and hand the x86 laptop market to Apple.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by tracemhunter
political correctness sucks anyways. bill mahr is my hero.
It's one thing to be un-P.C. to make a point.

It's another to be an ignorant moron with a thing against "Japs", all the while forgetting that Sony designed and built the first couple of generations of Apple's "innovative" Powerbooks, thus creating the laptop market...

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 03:13 AM

If it means that I would be able to view my PB's display as comfortably as my friend's Vaio outside even in the shade let alone in moderate sunlight, then more power to this rumor.
I, ASIMO.

ibook_steve
Aug 5, 2005, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ASIMO
If it means that I would be able to view my PB's display as comfortably as my friend's Vaio outside even in the shade let alone in moderate sunlight, then more power to this rumor.
That has absolutely nothing to do with who designs the machine. Using bright, power hungry screens is a choice that is made by designers and marketing people, not engineers. If Apple used these wonderful displays in the same size designs they make, you'd be lucky to get an hour or two of battery life.

And I'll say it again since no one seems to be paying attention: this is a rumor and *highly* unlikely. Trust me on this, OK?

Steve

osxisfun
Aug 5, 2005, 02:10 PM

you got inside info?

pray tell.

ibook_steve
Aug 5, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by osxisfun
you got inside info?

pray tell.
I told you. I worked there. On the 12" Powerbook. The people there do not need anybody else to help them with this, other than Intel. I already stated above why. Hardware is hardware. It's firmware and OS that would be the trickier parts, and the OS is already up to snuff, as we know.

Steve

osxisfun
Aug 5, 2005, 02:40 PM

thanks.

not that i believe the rumor but i still think one of two people that have built intel before couldn't hurt.

whatever gets me a dual core powerbook fastest!

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 5, 2005, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by analogika
It's one thing to be un-P.C. to make a point.

It's another to be an ignorant moron with a thing against "Japs", all the while forgetting that Sony designed and built the first couple of generations of Apple's "innovative" Powerbooks...
i was not aware sony designed the first powerbooks. thank you for enlightening me. i therefore retract my overgeneralized statement in this particular case. you guys will forgive me right?

MacBook 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Clamshell iBook G3 366MHz | 22" Cinema Display | iPod Mini | iPod shuffle | AirPort Express | Mighty Mouse

Forum Links
Forum Rules