Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread

Donald Trump, 45th President of the United States of America: The Drinking Thread (Page 16)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2017, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Okay, that was a clever answer, but that still doesn't make you better than me.
I didn't say anything about being better, you did.
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 11, 2017, 04:12 PM

I'd love it if Trump tweeted something along the lines of his Flynn defense only about junior. "Would have been ok by me."

"He did nothing wrong."

andi*pandi
Jul 11, 2017, 05:40 PM

I would not be surprised. It's part of his obfuscation via faux certification methodology. See also, circular logic.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2017, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I would not be surprised. It's part of his obfuscation via faux certification methodology. See also, circular logic.
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'd love it if Trump tweeted something along the lines of his Flynn defense only about junior. "Would have been ok by me."

"He did nothing wrong."
What laws did he break?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 12, 2017, 08:57 AM

"He did nothing wrong."
Looks like he just essentially did this. Good call.

Is lying about having no communication with Russians still a nothing burger? If it is, "I did not have an affair with that woman" is one too. Granted, one is about the president's son while the other is about the president himself, but it looks like there was no reason Trump wouldn't know about this, logically speaking?

I guess we'll see...

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2017, 09:43 AM

Someone is getting desperate

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2017, 10:17 AM

Then maybe you should stop attacking religious people?

OH! You believe they're having prayer meetings because they're desperate? What the... ? Are Muslims desperate because they kneel towards Mecca 4x each day? I think I see why you're so frequently wrong when it comes to understanding faith, you don't even know why religious folks do what they do.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2017, 11:39 AM

Someone is getting desperate
Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Then maybe you should stop attacking religious people?

OH! You believe they're having prayer meetings because they're desperate? What the... ? Are Muslims desperate because they kneel towards Mecca 4x each day? I think I see why you're so frequently wrong when it comes to understanding faith, you don't even know why religious folks do what they do.
Those are Evangelicals. Dakar should be more worried about the cabal of Catholics in Trump's inner circle, especially his wife. Melania could have him, , praying the Rosary or the Chaplet of Divine Mercy with her on a daily basis.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2017, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Those are Evangelicals. Dakar should be more worried about the cabal of Catholics in Trump's inner circle, especially his wife. Melania could have him, , praying the Rosary or the Chaplet of Divine Mercy with her on a daily basis.
You took a post making fun of Trump's newfound religion in the face of Tuesday's revelations and somehow turned it into Catholicophobia.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 12, 2017, 09:05 PM

Looks like he just essentially did this. Good call.
I don't think I was right when you posted this but, Reuters posted this since:
Reuters Top News Retweeted Reuters Top News
MORE: Trump tells @Reuters he does not fault Donald Jr., says 'I think many people would have held that meeting'

Is lying about having no communication with Russians still a nothing burger?
Well, as you can see the new goalposts are if a crime was technically committed. I guess that means if there was tape of Trump on his hands and knees begging Putin for dirt, but he didn't get it, then it was ok.

I guess that shouldn't be surprising, as there were complaints on the right that Hillary had conflicts of interest from the Clinton Foundation, yet as soon as Trump won the line became "Well as president legally it isn't a conflict" about his completely unknown financial connections.

So that's where we are now. No one in their right mind would be ok with this if the Democrats or Hillary did it (I think unpatriotic would be fairly tossed about), but now that it's been revealed Trump's campaign and family did it its become a strictly legal matter.

To be fair, there are conservatives and republicans outside of government who are willing call a spade a spade, but it's a very small amount of people. Hell, Fox News has been halfway reasonable about it. I suppose between partisanism and saving face, it's asking too much for regular people to admit this even looks bad in this climate.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2017, 09:20 PM

You took a post making fun of Trump's newfound religion in the face of Tuesday's revelations and somehow turned it into Catholicophobia.

"Newfound"? Pretty sure he's been at least going through the motions for the last year. Given how many miracles that took place for him to get where he is, I'd be shocked if doesn't believe at least some of it now.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2017, 11:53 PM

You have a fear of Catholics?
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 13, 2017, 02:18 PM

I think I see why you're so frequently wrong when it comes to understanding faith, you don't even know why religious folks do what they do.
Yes, if there's one thing that everyone here knows about Dakar, it's that when he often (and oh boy does he ever often!) takes his snark cannon and aims it at the religious "folks," he is just wildly wrong and misled on so many levels. I mean, it happens so often that it'd be super duper easy to find...like...two examples of this happening. We're waiting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
You have a fear of Catholics?
In my experience the term cabal isn't a positive connotation

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 04:08 PM

FWIW Trumps numbers have been completely steady since Saturday when the junior saga began.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 13, 2017, 10:31 PM

No, I think, first, I want to do — well, we have a few things. We have a thing called healthcare. I’m sure you haven’t been reading about it too much. It is one of the — I’d say the only thing more difficult than peace between Israel and the Palestinians is healthcare. It’s like this narrow road that about a quarter of an inch wide. You get a couple here and you say, great, and then you find out you just lost four over here. Healthcare is tough.

But I think we’re going to have something that’s really good and that people are going to like. We’re going to find out over the next — you know, we just extended for two weeks. Which, that’s a big

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2017, 10:33 AM

I can't get over how trashy the Huffington Post is. It used to be that editorialization within news organizations didn't happen. Then along came blogs and a different set of rules applied to them, for which the HuffPo (despite appearing to be a news org) resides.

Fine. Now today I received a push notification from them that reads:

Trump says "most people would have taken" the meeting Don. Jr. scheduled with a Russian lawyer. No, they wouldn't.
So now (leaving aside the actual subject matter, which is a whole other discussion) the editorialization is in the freaking push notification itself?

Maybe we need another news category to supplement "blog" which has become too vague. I'd go with "partisan support group" to categorize a number of sites now.

If we had a time machine would we find that in the future we get nothing but visual memes as news?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 14, 2017, 12:37 PM

They're tabloids, only in digital form.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 14, 2017, 02:13 PM

They're tabloids, only in digital form.

And by stimulating bias this way with push notifications it encourages a sense of laziness and discourages intellectual curiosity.

One of my goals here is to get people like you, BadKosh, and Chongo out of instinctual attacks of the left and defence of the right, esp. before all of the facts are available for interpretation.

As we are seeing with Republicans in control of government and as we saw with Democrats in control, there is far more to America's decline than simply a left vs. right tug of war.

These sorts of publications are great at keeping this tug of war going, but to what end?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2017, 12:54 PM

So, this week...

Trump draws a line in the sand
Muller dances across it
Muller gets his tax returns
Trump asks about pardons
Trump lawyer quits
Trump lawyer spokesman quits
McSpicey quits

Are we sick of all the winning yet?

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2017, 02:50 PM

New guy seems to be a smooth talking jackass.

"What would you do if president tweets something that contradicts an official press statement"
That's a hypothetical I can't answer that, haha, law schooled! Also, the president is awesome at twitter!

despite all the precedent for that.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 03:00 PM

He seems like the kind of guy who would have boneitus.

If you don't get that reference I don't care.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2017, 03:16 PM

New guy seems to be a smooth talking jackass.
Though I'm obviously on team Giggle Spice, in terms of actually running a press conference?

I can't really argue he was particularly good at it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 21, 2017, 04:28 PM

Wow, from old tweets that have been dug up this guy is so pro dem Trumpers would object if he was on Mueller s team.

andi*pandi
Jul 25, 2017, 11:44 AM

The Boy Scouts have an event every 4 years called a Jamboree, people go from all over the country. It is a 9 day event of great activities, adventures, and experiences. My son is attending with 2 friends and other area scouts. It cost a lot of money to go.

This weekend it was announced Trump would attend and give a speech. I had misgivings. The security alone would cut into other events and activities. Some parents were encouraging their sons not to attend, but as the President is the honorary head of Boy Scouts, and most presidents address the jamboree I thought it could be an experience. I had hope that someone would write him a good speech about integrity etc. I know, what was I thinking.

So last night Trump addressed this crowd of 40,000 boy scouts, boy and girl venturer scouts, and their leaders, and he managed to: swear, talk about hot women, desparage Obama and Hillary, brag about his election map, etc etc. Totally inappropriate and discouraging. Some even boo'd Obama and there were MAGA hats... I'm sure with the variety of people some of the folks were Trumpers. But any other president, addressing this crowd, would not have treated it like a rally to brag, but instead talk motivationally about the scouts, their future, their leadership. The values of scouting. Trump mentioned loyalty but in a totally creepy "kiss my ring" way.

What a jackass.

I know my son and his troop are not the type to boo anyone. They are good kids and their leaders are great. I'm very proud of them.

This does not look good for the organization, however.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/24/politi...lly/index.html
http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/24/politi...ree/index.html

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2017, 01:26 PM

I feel like the BSA may have been a little stuck.

Do you tell this vindictive, serial tweeter no?

andi*pandi
Jul 25, 2017, 04:14 PM

It's the policy to invite every president, regardless of party. I'm just annoyed that of the 10+ Boy Scouts in Trump's $%^&* cabinet, not one of them could write a decent speech for him.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 25, 2017, 04:56 PM

It was one of those things where I went "is it really that cringey?"

And then I heard the tape.

andi*pandi
Jul 25, 2017, 05:21 PM

yeah.

The Final Shortcut
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2017, 09:53 PM

What a disgrace. An embarrassment to humanity.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2017, 12:29 AM

subego, I keep forgetting to ask, did you see the Trump handshakes from the Bastille Day visit? I feel like you'd need to call a doctor from the four erection it'd give you

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 01:46 AM

I didn't know there were goods.

Is it "just" the half-minute one or are there others?

The hug with the wife while still shaking hands was impressive.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2017, 09:30 AM

It's the policy to invite every president, regardless of party. I'm just annoyed that of the 10+ Boy Scouts in Trump's $%^&* cabinet, not one of them could write a decent speech for him.
Fun fact, the chief of the Boy Scouts is also the CEO of AT&T. Guy needs a merger approved so don't expect any spine.

andi*pandi
Jul 27, 2017, 09:51 AM

And the former chief of Boy Scouts is Rex Tillerson, Sec of State.

I listened to more of the speech, there were lucid moments and then you can see him grin and go off the rails.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 10:29 AM

Fun fact, the chief of the Boy Scouts is also the CEO of AT&T.
And the former chief of Boy Scouts is Rex Tillerson, Sec of State.
And everyone here thinks it's a coincidence the guy who just happened to introduce them both to the Boy Scouts is Sergey Kislyak?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 27, 2017, 10:39 AM

#pickletruther

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 12:35 PM

Pickles are green. Pepe is green.

Checkmate, Jill Stein.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 01:38 PM

In terms of picking a president to top him, I'm not sure Trump picked one universally admired by his base.

andi*pandi
Jul 27, 2017, 01:53 PM

Oh, I'm sure they will trot out that Lincoln was a republican (never mind that what that means has swerved over the years)

The chief of the Boy Scouts has published an apology:

http://scoutingwire.org/chief-perspe...dential-visit/
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jul 27, 2017 at 03:13 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 27, 2017, 07:08 PM

Oh, I'm sure they will trot out that Lincoln was a republican (never mind that what that means has swerved over the years)

The chief of the Boy Scouts has published an apology:

http://scoutingwire.org/chief-perspe...dential-visit/
I can only hope Trump tears into him tomorrow morning on twitter.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2017, 07:20 PM

For a second I thought you meant at @AbeLincoln.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2017, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
For a second I thought you meant at @AbeLincoln.
You mean @AbeLincoln zombie killer.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 01:13 AM

Peggys gonna peg.

Originally Posted by Peggy Noonan
The president’s primary problem as a leader is not that he is impetuous, brash or naive. It’s not that he is inexperienced, crude, an outsider. It is that he is weak and sniveling. It is that he undermines himself almost daily by ignoring traditional norms and forms of American masculinity.

He’s not strong and self-controlled, not cool and tough, not low-key and determined; he’s whiny, weepy and self-pitying. He throws himself, sobbing, on the body politic. He’s a drama queen. It was once said, sarcastically, of George H.W. Bush that he reminded everyone of her first husband. Trump must remind people of their first wife. Actually his wife, Melania, is tougher than he is with her stoicism and grace, her self-discipline and desire to show the world respect by presenting herself with dignity.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 01:47 PM

Numerous threads this could fit in, but I settled on this one.

How often did the Republicans totally break bad on Bush like they just did with the Russia sanctions (or "sanx" as they've now been Twitterized)?

The only thing which comes to mind is Supreme Court Justice Harriet Miers.

Which to be fair, was pretty way out there.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 02:06 PM

How often did the Republicans totally break bad on Bush like they just did with the Russia sanctions (or "sanx" as they've now been Twitterized)?

Is it possible that they have a different definition of "nothing burger", or different overall instincts/initial presumptions?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 02:14 PM

Indefinite subjects confuse the necromancy out of me.

Who is "they"?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 10:00 PM

Indefinite subjects confuse the necromancy out of me.

Who is "they"?
The Republicans that broke rank.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 10:17 PM

So, the question is did the Republicans who broke rank on Bush have different overall instincts and assumptions than the ones who broke rank on Trump?

Umm... I guess? Republicans seem more right wing now, but Bush, like, had actually been a government executive, and played the game like a normal person.

I'll admit. I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to be going.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2017, 10:25 PM

I'll admit. I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to be going.

You're supposed to acknowledge my greatness, and encourage others to do the same.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 31, 2017, 10:29 PM

Medicare Part D?

I feel like you can almost write off any break they did after 2006 because Bush became so unpopular. Unless your point is they stuck with him even then.

Forum Links
Forum Rules