Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > EyeTV and Satelite or Digital Cable Question

EyeTV and Satelite or Digital Cable Question
WinTroll
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2003, 03:50 PM

EyeTV and Satellite or Digital Cable?

I have an iMac with EyeTV. Works great, but.....I would like to use it with satellite or digital cable.

But these all use set-top boxes. Can I use the EyeTV with this and will he be able to record scheduled shows?

Will EyeTV be able to change channels on his own?

If not, how is it that I see people making near perfect recordings of TV shows and such?

Thanks in advance for any help!

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 04:10 PM

Originally posted by WinTroll:
EyeTV and Satellite or Digital Cable?

I have an iMac with EyeTV. Works great, but.....I would like to use it with satellite or digital cable.

But these all use set-top boxes. Can I use the EyeTV with this and will he be able to record scheduled shows?

Will EyeTV be able to change channels on his own?

If not, how is it that I see people making near perfect recordings of TV shows and such?

Thanks in advance for any help!
I have my Dish Network set top box plugged into the A/V inputs on my eyeTV. You cannot do "point and click" scheduling w/ this setup, but you can still manually schedule recordings. It takes all of 20 secs. to set up a manual recording, so it's really no biggie. I must say, the quality of the recordings is a huge improvement over the analogue cable signal I was using.

Kevin

WinTroll  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 24, 2003, 03:44 AM

So the EyeTV device is able to change the channel to the right channel to do the recording?

Or must you do something on the set-top box as well (like leave it on that channel)?

kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 24, 2003, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by WinTroll:
So the EyeTV device is able to change the channel to the right channel to do the recording?

Or must you do something on the set-top box as well (like leave it on that channel)?
unfortunately it's the latter. but like i said, the recording quality is much better than broadcast cable.

Kevin

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 11:24 PM

well, if you take a look at the elgato site right now, you'll see the brand new EyeTV 300 and 400 series! They look good, cant wait to get one.

Forum Links
Forum Rules