Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Nice windows themes

Nice windows themes
redboy
May 9, 2004, 08:43 AM

This is the nicest windows themes I have seen in a while. I would love to have these on my mac. What do you guys think about these themes?

http://www.guiolympics.com/preview2....ectorCell2.jpg

http://www.guiolympics.com/preview2....4/opulence.jpg
( Last edited by redboy; May 9, 2004 at 08:52 AM. )

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 10:58 AM

i do say i do like that Vector Cell theme. a lot. i like it a lot.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by fireside:
i do say i do like that Vector Cell theme. a lot. i like it a lot.
Oooh ooh! Me Too!

This theme looks nice. Has a really sweet cell shaded look.

R

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 9, 2004, 12:22 PM

Looks a bit like a blue version of that cell shaded theme. Not bad.
click one

rhythmicmoose
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 12:32 PM

Wow. Vector Cell is really awesome. I wonder if the author would let someone port it to OS X.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 05:02 PM

Yeah Vector cell does look awesome. Somebody better port that. Goodness knows they port enough of our themes - let's have one back for a change!

The other one, "Opulence" is smooth, light and elegant but nothing special. By that I mean that there are many OS X themes similar to it.

Edit: Patcarla just posted this preview on another thread - looks just like Opulence!!

http://homepage.mac.com/plassus/.Pic.../ppsssmall.jpg

( Last edited by Ozzpot; May 9, 2004 at 05:11 PM. )
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 05:15 PM

how do you like?

just got finished with the MenuBars (they were a pain in the butt! (i hate vectors lol)).

im not doing this with the author's permission, so even if i DO finish it, i dunno if i could release it until i talk to the guy.

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 9, 2004, 05:29 PM

how do you like?

just got finished with the MenuBars (they were a pain in the butt! (i hate vectors lol)).

im not doing this with the author's permission, so even if i DO finish it, i dunno if i could release it until i talk to the guy.
Good work!

What are you going to do about the widgets, though?
They can't fit on the blue plastic bit because it's too far in for OSX.
iMac G5 17" 2.0ghz 1.5gb RAM MacOS10.4 • iBook G4 14" 933mhz 768mb RAM MacOS10.4 • iPod Touch 16gb

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 05:38 PM

Originally posted by Ozzpot:
Good work!

What are you going to do about the widgets, though?
They can't fit on the blue plastic bit because it's too far in for OSX.
if there's a will there's a way.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 05:40 PM

I was extremely skeptical until I saw the screenshots; both of those themes are beautiful. Anyone up for porting these? I'm sure the author(s) wouldn't hesitate to give you permission.

Oh. I wonder if anyone'd be interested in porting Digital Creme from Gnome? The author has ported a few of Max's themes, like Aluminum Alloy and Milk. Would only be fair for Max to port DC *hint*. Screenshot:

The scrollbars aren't that pretty to look at -- they have an ugly 1 pixel wide grey border around the LCD effect, whereas Mac themes are more seamless. But easily fixable.

The author's site is here.
The author's themes are here.
( Last edited by kwyjiboy; May 9, 2004 at 05:51 PM. )
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
I was extremely skeptical until I saw the screenshots; both of those themes are beautiful. Anyone up for porting these? I'm sure the author(s) wouldn't hesitate to give you permission.
i wouldn't mind porting Vector Cell.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2004, 05:58 PM

i wouldn't mind porting Vector Cell.
By all means. More themes = Good.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 07:48 PM

both those themes were made by "b0se" and he has a crap load of other hot hot hot themes.

http://b0se.deviantart.com/

redboy  (op)
May 9, 2004, 07:56 PM

I had a feeling that these themes would be of interest

b0se has entered both vector cell and opulence in the Gui olympics.

Another theme by b0se: http://www.deviantart.com/view/4990239/

I really hope that someone is interested in porting these themes. I see Fireside is well on his way

Miloszwl and b0se are on the deviantART team in the GUI olympics, maybe Miloszwl can help in persuading b0se to give his blessings to mac ports of his themes!!
( Last edited by redboy; May 9, 2004 at 08:06 PM. )

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 9, 2004, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by redboy:
This is the nicest windows themes I have seen in a while. I would love to have these on my mac. What do you guys think about these themes?

http://www.guiolympics.com/preview2....ectorCell2.jpg

http://www.guiolympics.com/preview2....4/opulence.jpg
First, slightly different to a theme we already have
second, like milk after someone's wiped their arse on it

fireside
Professional Poster
May 9, 2004, 08:38 PM

this one is better: http://www.deviantart.com/view/4591314/

fireside
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 03:27 PM

fixed the titlebars, i'm working on the widgets.

can someone find me b0se's email address? or does anyone know it? i want to contact him about this before i get too deep about it.

redboy  (op)
May 10, 2004, 04:11 PM

fixed the titlebars, i'm working on the widgets.

can someone find me b0se's email address? or does anyone know it? i want to contact him about this before i get too deep about it.

Hey, check your PM for the email address.

FB Eye
Senior User
May 10, 2004, 04:42 PM

Sektor looks pretty nice too

Dark theme lovers rejoyce

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 05:51 PM

fireside you rock! I hope you keep working on the theme because I like it a lot!!

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 06:08 PM

Originally posted by FB Eye:
Sektor looks pretty nice too

Dark theme lovers rejoyce
Too busy though.
click one

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 10, 2004, 06:37 PM

I was looking through my icons in Pixadex, when I found a set called "Thunderstorm". I thought they looked really cool and wondered why I had never used them. Then I noticed that one of the icons (the "desktop" one maybe) depicted an XP theme that also looked really nice. I assumed the icon set was made to match it, so I did a search. Funnily enough it is also one of these GUI Olympics entries. I'm sure many of you are aware of it already, but anyway, here it is:

http://www.guiolympics.com/preview2....4/TS_wb_ss.jpg

I think this would be great to port. I'm not too sure about the widgets but the rest of it reminds me of a fusion between BBX Mercury X, the BBX Platinum K2 scheme, and the CoPilot/AutoPilot K2 schemes. Solid, futuristic, glossy and awesome. Plus, we already have the perfect icon set for it!

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 06:47 PM

Originally posted by NetworkShadow:
Too busy though.
It just has that... I don't know what it is. The "PC themer assembly line" look. No.. the Pixstudio look, which is the same style. The shiny parts do not match the theme. Look at the scrollbars. They're flat, dull, lifeless. And rounded corners are jagged, rather than anti-aliased.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by kwyjiboy:
And rounded corners are jagged, rather than anti-aliased.
IIRC i think thats because of Windows. if you look closely, the rounded corners on Mac OS X are jagged, but they don't look that way cause of the drop shadows.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by sushiism:
First, slightly different to a theme we already have
second, like milk after someone's wiped their arse on it
f.uck you're an a55hole.

Seriously, where are your contributions to the skinning community? If you've made any I'm sure they arnt anywhere near as good as b0se's creations.

Chris

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 08:54 PM

IIRC i think thats because of Windows. if you look closely, the rounded corners on Mac OS X are jagged, but they don't look that way cause of the drop shadows.

Windows doesnt support anti-aliasing of the titlebar, OS X does.

fireside
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Seriously, where are your contributions to the skinning community? If you've made any I'm sure they arnt anywhere near as good as b0se's creations.
just because he hasn't made any contributions to the themeing community doesn't mean he can't voice his opinion. how lame and unconstructive that opinion may be, he still has a right to voice it.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 09:08 PM

f.uck you're an a55hole.

Chris
dude, you're posting a mac forum. you knew the territory when you first spoke up. just chill out and dont let it get to you.

there are old threads i can dig up about mac people getting pissed off at all the unauthorized ports. this has all the potential in the world to become totally hostile territory. hell, it may be already. just know that and keep the flames down. please.

Dan.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2004, 09:10 PM

Windows doesnt support anti-aliasing of the titlebar, OS X does.
I am aware of that shi.ttiness of Windows. However, Windowblinds supports targas with an alpha channel for things like the window tabs, to make the corners smooth. The author made some attempt to fake anti-aliased titlebars, better than most, but made NO attempt to have the window tabs match this at all, even though they could do the effect flawlessly.

I still don't like the assembly-line Pixstudio style. He's mimicked it perfectly, which is a shame. And the progress bars are as ugly as the scrollbars.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:26 PM

I've seen it before, asides form it being bulky looking I like the BBX M feel to it. It's got good balance of color with good contrast.
click one

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
May 10, 2004, 09:38 PM

f.uck you're an a55hole.

Chris
much better than that generic garbage and they're probably a bit before your time kid

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 10:35 PM

just because he hasn't made any contributions to the themeing community doesn't mean he can't voice his opinion. how lame and unconstructive that opinion may be, he still has a right to voice it.
I realize that, but he's on the verge of trolling. Which IIRC is not allowed. Every chance he gets to criticize and bash windows authors and their work, he takes. Just take a look at his comments in the macover thread. Sure voicing your opinion on something is perfectly fair, however he just bashes without cause or justification. I simply asked what work he has done to make him a viable judge for anything.

Chris

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2004, 10:42 PM

I realize that, but he's on the verge of trolling. Which IIRC is not allowed. Every chance he gets to criticize and bash windows authors and their work, he takes. Just take a look at his comments in the macover thread. Sure voicing your opinion on something is perfectly fair, however he just bashes without cause or justification. I simply asked what work he has done to make him a viable judge for anything.

Chris
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...87#post1978850

and what have you done? you're superior somehow?

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2004, 10:42 PM

I really hope that someone is interested in porting these themes. I see Fireside is well on his way

Miloszwl and b0se are on the deviantART team in the GUI olympics, maybe Miloszwl can help in persuading b0se to give his blessings to mac ports of his themes!!
b0se is a friend of mine and co-admin with me over at AdvancedPC.org. I had already spoken to him about porting Opulence to OSX when the GUIO is over, but he has made plans to port Opulence and possibly Vector Cell sometime over the summer. He's very well versed in both StyleBuilder and SkinStudio for Windows and wants to become familiar with ThemePark so that he can provide his themes for all computer users.

By the way, if anyone here is up to helping us getting our Mac movement going over at AdvancedPC, please stop on over and say hi. Being one of two mac users there, we're not getting that much interest in the whole Mac skinning scene and I'd like to see more. So you're all welcome to stop by!

Thanks,
Rage

fireside
Professional Poster
May 10, 2004, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by RageAPC:
b0se is a friend of mine and co-admin with me over at AdvancedPC.org. I had already spoken to him about porting Opulence to OSX when the GUIO is over, but he has made plans to port Opulence and possibly Vector Cell sometime over the summer. He's very well versed in both StyleBuilder and SkinStudio for Windows and wants to become familiar with ThemePark so that he can provide his themes for all computer users.
no! i want to make it

Ozzpot
Mac Enthusiast
May 11, 2004, 07:00 AM

b0se... ...has made plans to port Opulence and possibly Vector Cell sometime over the summer.
"Possibly Vector Cell" ? No! He should definitely do vector cell, possibly do Opulence. Opulence looks too similar to Milk or GUiPod to give it priority. If only one can get made, do Vector Cell. If he's making both, Vector Cell should be first. It's original and unique.

Fireside does seem pretty keen to do it anyway.

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 07:04 AM

You guys would have to discuss that with b0se.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...87#post1978850

and what have you done? you're superior somehow?

Yes, what have I done? I had justification for calling him an arsehole, cause he was being one. Go read his posts in the macover thread. 'nuff said.

Anyways, there are many nice windows themes guy's. Dont dismiss a theme or it's author just because they are a windows user, thats just plain silly.

Chris

RageAPC
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 08:17 AM

You guys would have to discuss that with b0se.
Just spoke to Ross and his is going to port both themes! He's working on finishing exams at uni. right now so I wouldn't expect to see anything until a little later on in the summer, but the good news is that ports are coming!

b0se
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 08:27 AM

Hi guys,

Fireside, thanks for your interest in Vector-Cell, although as Rage mentioned I'll be porting this myself over the summer. I don't want to be limited to a single platform.

I'm now finishing my Masters degree, and when thats over I'll be using (much to his dislike) my fathers new G5 to port my new GUI-O Themes.

Vector-Cell will be first, followed by Opulence (which is not as similar as you think to other OSX themes, you have to use it to see what I mean).

I'll keep you updated, <shamelessPlug>I'll be posting updates over at APC (www.advancedpc.org) when I start work on them</shamelessPlug>

Ross Harvey

fireside
Professional Poster
May 11, 2004, 01:19 PM

aww shucks.

do you mind if i finish making it for myself?

that aside, im glad you're going to be making your themes for os x. they're pretty hot if you ask me.

NetworkShadow
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by b0se:
Hi guys,

Fireside, thanks for your interest in Vector-Cell, although as Rage mentioned I'll be porting this myself over the summer. I don't want to be limited to a single platform.

I'm now finishing my Masters degree, and when thats over I'll be using (much to his dislike) my fathers new G5 to port my new GUI-O Themes.

Vector-Cell will be first, followed by Opulence (which is not as similar as you think to other OSX themes, you have to use it to see what I mean).

I'll keep you updated, <shamelessPlug>I'll be posting updates over at APC (www.advancedpc.org) when I start work on them</shamelessPlug>

Ross Harvey
Hay cool to hear.
Sorry fireside, was looking good too.
click one

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2004, 03:27 PM

fireside - great start!

As soon as I saw the preview I thought of Cel Shaded and then you made your "quick" preview and it looks so good. The angled tabs and shading look great.

Keep going - at your leisure - of course

InvisibleTouch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2004, 08:15 PM

I have to say that Vector Cell is probably one of the best themes I've seen for Windows in a long time... awesome work dude

redboy  (op)
May 13, 2004, 05:59 PM

Great to hear that b0se will be porting his themes Also Opulance made second place in the GUI Olympics in the event for most minimalistic visual style. Should have been first! A great addition to the mac themeing world

And that was a nice effort Fireside...do you have any plans for new themes of your own design?

Here is another theme that caught my eye. Maybe a little too much going on in this theme but it still looks appealing:
http://www.guiolympics.com/preview2....4/Screenie.jpg

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2004, 04:12 AM

Originally posted by b0se:
Hi guys,

Ross Harvey
sweetness .. welcome to the fold =)

Forum Links
Forum Rules