Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > The future of pre-press

The future of pre-press
kjb
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2004, 10:41 PM

Does anyone have any opinions on the future of pre-press? Specifically, I'm wondering about color separation, traditionally speaking. Do you think digital processing will completely kill off traditional prepress. What about mock-up? Do you think mock up will still be around 5, 10, 20 years from now? I'm guessing it will- it's not like consumer goods and marketing materials are going to disappear completely.

Anyway, the reason I'm asking is because a friend and I are talking about buying a small pre-press/mock up shop from a guy that's wanting to retire early. I'm wondering if it's a dieing niche, or if there is still room to exist in the next 20 years or so. Thanks for any opinions.

K.

Corys
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2004, 04:05 PM

I personally don't see how a "prepress" only shop could make it long term...A lot of the services that a prepress shop offered are just not required anymore, there is still some high end scanning, but a huge percentage of that has gone digital.

Print shops rarely farm out their trapping/system work/platemaking.

When you say Mock-up, what exactly are you talking about?
www.prepressforums.com
News & Information for the Prepress Industry

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 03:25 PM

All of the prepress shops around here have retooled to do digital printing or traditional printing or have closed the doors.

kjb  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 10, 2004, 10:00 PM

Originally posted by Corys:

When you say Mock-up, what exactly are you talking about?
He'll take "prototype" files for posters, retail packaging, candy bar wrappers, product boxes, etc. and make the mock-ups for print shops/marketing depts/designers so they can see the real thing in order to make a decision. This seems to be a fairly decent chunk of the business.

Thanks for the responses.

K.

Forum Links
Forum Rules