Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Best speakers for music

Best speakers for music
rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2001, 01:01 PM

What are the best speakers for music? Could say a pair of Cambridge Soundworks Microworks speakers replace a cheap reciever and a pair of bookshelf speakers connected to a Mac?

I find myself using the computer as the source for a lot of my audio these days and was thinking of cutting out the stereo all together. Would save some space but I still want room filling sound.

TIA
Rob

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2001, 01:05 PM

Ugh, real stereo speakers will always trash any multimedia speaker. Get a reciever and some better speakers. If you insist on multimedia, Klipsch has the best offerings (at a reasonable price, see videologic). There are better options than the microworks, don't look at them. You'll need a good soundcard or something though, your reciever may just do though.

ion
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2001, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by rgruber:
I find myself using the computer as the source for a lot of my audio these days and was thinking of cutting out the stereo all together. Would save some space but I still want room filling sound.
yea i find my self ina similar situation in my dorm, what i did was bought (actuialy found) a micro jack to l/r RCA audio link cable to plug from my powerbook into my bose. now that was my next reccomendation to you. if you care about sound quality (read: use cds mostly, not those awful sounding mp3s), get a bose. i used to have one of the bose satalite/sub systems which sounded amaing and shook my entire room at home, and now i have the acoustic wave music system with the powered carying case so i can listen to music at home, at school, and inbeteen. granted these are both $1G+ systems and that may be alot of money for, bose also has the acoustic wave alarm clock $350/$500 for radio/radio+cd. if you go that route just get the $350 one and plug your portable cd/md player into it. these things may look small but the sound is incredible. go to a bose botique shop near you and check out their show, its great. anyway hope my babbling helped you out

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2001, 04:01 PM

DO NOT EVER BUY BOSE. They are the most worthless and overpriced pieces of CRAP! Stay away from them! Their acoustic radio thing sounds no better than my clock alarm, it is worthless. If you want cheap, look at cambridge soundwork's low end hifi systems (not multimedia).

Sorry to say it but you have been sucked in by Bose's huge marketing team.

[This message has been edited by exa (edited 03-10-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules