Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Recomendation: Sharing PC/Mac keyboards

Recomendation: Sharing PC/Mac keyboards
RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 5, 2001, 07:09 PM

I am about to set up a KVM between a Win2K desktop maching and a Lombard PowerBook. I''m not sure if I should use a Keyboard for a Mac or a Keyboard for a PC. I afraid of the Command key not working on the Mac side if I get a PC keyboard. On the otherhand, I am afraid that a Mac keyboard will not register correctly on the PC side. Any suggestions?
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2001, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by RoofusPennymore:
I am about to set up a KVM between a Win2K desktop maching and a Lombard PowerBook. I''m not sure if I should use a Keyboard for a Mac or a Keyboard for a PC. I afraid of the Command key not working on the Mac side if I get a PC keyboard. On the otherhand, I am afraid that a Mac keyboard will not register correctly on the PC side. Any suggestions?
I've got a G3 Powerbook and a Windows 98 box hooked to an IO Gear USB KVM switch. The computers share a Dell monitor, a Mac keyboard (the small ones that came with the iMacs and G4's before the new pro one), and a logitech optical wheel mouse. The windows box recognized the mac keyboard with no problem. People used to a windows keyboard complain that it lacks some windows keys (insert delete I think) but everything works correctly. Lately the USB mouse has become flakey on the windows side and I don't know enough about windows to fix it, but it worked well for a year or so. I would use whatever type of keyboard you are familiar with and use more. My only problem is hitting the apple key instead of the control key when I want to cut and paste on Windows.

RoofusPennymore  (op)
Senior User
Apr 5, 2001, 07:48 PM

Another thing I thought of was that I will need a power key on the keyboard. i.e: there is no way to power up the computer without opening the lid. I guess I need to go with a Mac keyboard.

Does the keys labled CNTRL and ALT on the Mac keyboard stay CNTRL and ALT on the PC?

[This message has been edited by RoofusPennymore (edited 04-05-2001).]

Raman
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2001, 03:23 PM

I just posted a new thread about my mac keyboard working on my peecee. almst every key works properly in windows INCLUDING THE VOLUME CONTROL KEYS!!!

anyway, you can always use a key remapping utility (there is prolly one in windoze but i never had to use it so i'm ignorant) just in case you need it remapped.

also.. have you considered VNC? it's like timbuktu and pcanywhere except free.. check it out on versiontracker.com

-raman

RoofusPennymore  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2001, 12:28 AM

Yes, I use it all the time. But it's kind of slow and once you CNTR-ALT-DEL to lock your station you cannot get back in via VNC.

Originally posted by Raman:
Ihave you considered VNC? it's like timbuktu and pcanywhere except free.. check it out on versiontracker.com

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2001, 05:46 AM

control is control. option is alt. command (left) is the windows key. Command (right) is the contextual menu key.

the sleep/suspend button on the PC keyboards= the powerbutton ont he mac ones.

theyare basically interchangable.

------------------
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Thunderbird
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by RoofusPennymore:
Another thing I thought of was that I will need a power key on the keyboard. i.e: there is no way to power up the computer without opening the lid. I guess I need to go with a Mac keyboard.
I have a Belkin OmniCube, and I am using a PC keyboard with it. You do not need the power button, because the Belkin KVM switch and Macintosh adapter has a power button on the switch itself.

RoofusPennymore  (op)
Senior User
Apr 9, 2001, 04:30 PM

I am going to go with a Micro Connectors (Mac) keyboard that I have laying around and a IOgear KVM. They seem pretty inexpensive; $109 at frys. I'll probably wait until Tuesday to see if I can find one cheaper at the ComputerWare liquidation sale.

I know there is one big switch on the thing, but is there a keyboard combination that will also switch computers? I want to hide the thing in my desk.

Forum Links
Forum Rules