Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Back to my Mac", how from remote location?

"Back to my Mac", how from remote location?
chasg
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 1, 2007, 05:53 AM

Hi All, this is a Leopard issue.

Hi All,

I've got screen sharing working while on my LAN, but now I'm trying to get it working while I'm out and about (the new "Back to my Mac" functionality).

I was hoping that I'd set everything up correctly (courtesy of a helpful Apple page): .Mac, various setting in System Prefs, but I've got nothing in my Finder sidebars while I'm away from my LAN.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chas

sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 1, 2007, 03:21 PM

Yeah, me too! works like a champ on the local network (nothing new here)...but am unable to see it my desktop while away with my MBP. I've checked the router - it has UPnP ENABLED, ISP says that they are doing NOTHING to filter or cripple UPnP functionality, and both machines have preferences set properly (and in the sequence required by the KB topic information)...and .mac seems to be running.

I'd like to see this work...any ideas?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2007, 09:13 PM

All I had to do was enable UPnP on my FiOS router and BTMM worked. It might be a issue with your router/modem, look for some info for it, or call your ISP to replace it.
Signature depreciated.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 2, 2007, 12:14 AM

Could it be that you are trying to connect to the wrong IP address? ie: 192.168.1.1 instead of 96.*.*.*? I have no idea how Back to My Mac works, but my guess it that the problem is far simpler than a firewall or router setting.
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

desertmac
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2007, 12:26 AM

C.A.T.S. CEO: How did you enable UPnP on your FIOS router?
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by desertmac View Post
C.A.T.S. CEO: How did you enable UPnP on your FIOS router?
If I remember correctly, log in, then go to advanced, then you should see UPNP somewhere at the center of the bottom of the page.
Signature depreciated.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2007, 12:22 AM

Did that . . . with no success . . .
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 3, 2007, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by desertmac View Post
Did that . . . with no success . . .
BTMM went down today (sorry I didn't tell you guys )
Signature depreciated.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2007, 01:16 AM

All the net access from my place of employment is firewalled to hell. The only ports open to the outside world are for http, https, ftp and Microsoft Remote Desktop. Even POP and IMAP mail ports are blocked (they say so no one can send spam out through their servers). I don't think I'll ever get BTMM to work. At least not while I'm at work.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2007, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cadaver View Post
All the net access from my place of employment is firewalled to hell. The only ports open to the outside world are for http, https, ftp and Microsoft Remote Desktop. Even POP and IMAP mail ports are blocked (they say so no one can send spam out through their servers). I don't think I'll ever get BTMM to work. At least not while I'm at work.
Can you make any outgoing connection you want? "Ports open to the outside world" usually implies incoming connections, but you can connect to your home back without it having to make an incoming connection back to your machine, if that makes any sense...

Forum Links
Forum Rules