Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule/Machine & Verizon FIOS

Time Capsule/Machine & Verizon FIOS
milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2008, 09:32 PM

Well I just noticed that Verizon started offering their FIOS in my area. I would like to switch over to it in place of Comcast. I have some concerns with using Time Capsule and the FIOS router. Does anyone run this setup? From reading other posts, with the normal AEBS, you can run it in LAN and Bridged mode to get it to work. Then you can turn off the wireless signal on the FIOS router. So if I do all this, will Time Machine still work properly?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2008, 10:31 PM

Should work fine... TM is just another home wifi router that happens to come with some storage. You could even leave both wifi networks running on different channels; the one off TM secured for internal usage and the one off the FIOS rotuer unsecured for the public.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2008, 09:25 AM

This is my exact setup and both the Time Capsule and Time Machine are running just fine.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 10, 2008, 05:14 PM

How do I set up bridge mode? I don't have the FIOS routher yet, but I don't see the settings in there.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2008, 01:23 PM

You set Bridge mode for the TC or AEBS through Airport Utility. I also turned off wireless networking in the FIOS router (you do this via a web browser once you have installed the FIOS router) so that the FIOS router just passes the internet signal to the AEBS or TC, and you connect to the AEBS or TC network for everything.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

milenko11  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 17, 2008, 04:19 PM

Update. Just had FiOS installed and I have Time Capsule working perfectly in bridge mode. I got the 15/15 package and i'm pretty happy with it. Glad to be rid of Comcast.

desertmac
Forum Regular
Apr 17, 2008, 08:02 PM

Congratulations. That's the setup I've got also. Working like a charm.
MBP 15" 2.4 Ghz 4Gb
MBA 13" 1.6 Ghz 2Gb

Forum Links
Forum Rules