Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Drive Mapping/Mounting Issues

Drive Mapping/Mounting Issues
israces
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2011, 02:16 PM

I'm running 10.6.6 and I connect to a network drive, let's call it Drive, at work using SMB. I use a sync program on my mac that pulls files from Drive to the cloud. The network drive shows up on my mac desktop as "Drive", but when I use a program that looks at the path, such as the sync program, Drive shows up as "Drive-1" or "Drive-2" instead of just "Drive". This is confusing the hell out of the sync software, because it is looking for Drive but only finding Drive-1, etc., even though Drive shows up as Drive on the desktop.

Two questions:

1) I'm assuming the -1 and -2 are from when the drive did not close correctly when the network connection was interrupted or some crap like that. How do I clear out the Drive-1 and Drive-2 information so that the system knows that when Drive shows up it is really just the same old Drive as it has always been?

2) How do I automap/automount Drive at login?

Any help would be appreciated.
Backup your Backup

P
Feb 15, 2011, 04:28 PM

1) Open terminal, go to /Volumes and delete the folder Drive
2) Make a shortcut to the drive and drop it in the autostart objects in System Preferences - accounts
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

israces  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 16, 2011, 11:54 AM

So after learning *nix commands again for removing directories without having to go through and delete all the files first, this worked wonderfully. Thanks for the help.

Any idea what would cause it to do that? Ill-timed network disconnects?
Backup your Backup

Forum Links
Forum Rules