Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Pismo screen blurry

Pismo screen blurry
rgruber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2000, 09:36 AM

I just got a new Pismo powerbook and noticed that the screen is slightly blurry and looks washed out, like there isn't enough contrast. Is this a common problem or did I just get a bad one? Not having ever had a nice laptop before I don't know if this is just how they all are or what but it is not nearly as clear as my desktop's screen. Wondering if I should return it and get a new one. Do you send it to your dealer or to apple?

Rob

Crow
Apr 4, 2000, 09:59 AM

What is your screen resolution set to??? 640x480/800x600 or 1024x768???

rgruber  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2000, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Crow:
What is your screen resolution set to??? 640x480/800x600 or 1024x768???
1024x768

ekoelbel
Apr 4, 2000, 10:16 AM

Mine is very sharp. When I got it my color setting was low and fonts were smoothed - both of which impacted (in my opinion) the sharpness of the display.
When I bumped colors up to "thousands" and turned off smoothing the screen looked very sharp.
Of course, this doesn't address the "washed-out" problem you raised.

ATP Tour Fan
Apr 4, 2000, 10:28 AM

Your PowerBook shipped set at 256 colors? I thought they come at Thousands. Wouldn't you rather have it set at Millions?

ekoelbel
Apr 4, 2000, 10:47 AM

Yeah - I thought it was weird too. I may have changed the setting during setup somehow but I really doubt it. I guess you're right, might as well be "millions". The jump to thousands was enough to take care of the blurry, blocky desktop picture so I stopped there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules