Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I install OS9 on my Panther G4

How do I install OS9 on my Panther G4
Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 08:57 PM

Hi, I have a G4 450 which has Panther on it. I find I need to boot into OS9 to run a particular piece of software (flashing a radeon video card). How would I go about this?

I have the Jaguar powerbook install disk and the Panther disks. Is OS9 on the Jag disk?

Do I have to create a partition for this install, or just a folder? Any links greatly received.

There is an OS 9.1 install disk available via bittorrent, so I'm guessing this is what I need software wise, I'm just not sure how to go about doing it.

Cheers,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 08:16 AM

Panther and Jaguar do not come with OS9. You need the retail version or the CDs the mac came with (since it came with OS9 originally).

You must boot to OS9 using the retail CD and install it.

Then you can flash your video card.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2004, 04:14 PM

Thanks, I'll get hold of an OS9 disk. Do I need a separate partition, or will it just install a different system folder.

How do you specify which system to boot into.

Thanks,

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 08:56 PM

OS X and 9 will happy coexist on the same partition. I've never installed 9 after X on the same partition, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.
To change system folders to boot from, in X click Startup Disk in System Preferences, and in 9 use the Startup Disk control panel. Alternatively, hold the X key at startup to boot into X, or hold Option to get a list of choices (won't work if both are on the same partition though.)

Freeflyer  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 17, 2004, 03:01 PM

Thanks, once I've got the os downloaded, I'll give it a try.

J.

Forum Links
Forum Rules