Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > rebuilding a Macintosh TV

rebuilding a Macintosh TV
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 04:25 PM

I have a line on a Macintosh TV, but the problem is I think the analog board is bad in it. I'd be buying it from my friends parents (it's sitting in their basement right now) and they said the screen has a purplish hue to it. I have an old 575 laying around that I could pull the motherboard and processor out of and transplant it into the Macintosh TV. Would that work?

If that doesn't work, would a 550 work? I know the 550 has the 030 in it, which is what the Macintosh TV has, so it *might* be more compatible. Any thoughts?

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2003, 06:53 PM

www.lowendmac.com try asking on the appropriate mailing list.

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 6, 2003, 11:02 AM

Just and update here. It looks like you can't replace the motherboard without losing the TV capabilities. That means we're stuck with an 030 (no FPU or FPU option), 8 MB RAM max, and no prospects for future expansion aside from the hard drive. At least I'll have a Macintosh TV, though!

On a related note, are there any SCSI-ethernet adapters or some other way I can get ethernet on the machine without sacrificing the TV part?

runningdog
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 02:42 PM

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 01:35 PM

Well, no worries on the analog board in the Macintosh TV. I got it two weeks ago and it's working like a champ. The guy who sold it to me reinstalled the system software just before he gave it to me, so it's a lean, mean, TV-viewing machine. It even has the full 8 MB of RAM in it.

I must say, I am really impressed with how well it works. Although it has it's shortcomings (notably the 8 MB RAM limit, 030 processor, no PDS), it's nice little package. The remote turns the whole system on and off (unlike current remotes), hotkeys for within the TV/video mode can be set, and the channel setup works like a charm. The end result -- one happy Mac TV owner.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

Person Man
Professional Poster
Dec 12, 2003, 12:45 AM

I remember seeing my first Macintosh TV back in college... some guy in my dorm had one. He had his VCR hooked up to it, because the only channel we got was the local PBS station. This was before the school created their own dorm-wide cable system.

I always thought the black keyboard and mouse looked cool, and what was even cooler was to see the closed captions show up in Chicago font in a weird green color...

Forum Links
Forum Rules