Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac2 to work on.

iMac2 to work on.
zadak
Mar 4, 2002, 05:40 AM

Maybe I am totally crazy, but I think I am gonna switch from my old stinky G4 400 to a new iMac 800. I am a webdesigner so I am a lot in photoshop mucking around.

1. Is this a big mistake? I fell in love with the little sweetie and just want it.
2. Can I work with that low resolution?
3. The vga out is mirror only, but what resolution is it? 1024 as the iMac.screen? (Stupid question I know)
4 How is the colors in the screen?

thanks...

roger

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 4, 2002, 06:18 AM

I worked with Photoshop at that resolution for years. Of course, a higher res would be better but the new iMac is great value for money.

As for the colors, you can adjust the gamma settings and brightness. I don't know about the video mirroring as it seems useless to me. VGA out should be to expand desktop space.

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 4, 2002, 02:29 PM

Video mirroring is true mirroring. Same resolution, everything.

If you've got the G4/400, set your res to 1024x768 and see how you like working in it.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Danny Ricci
Mar 4, 2002, 02:36 PM

I still run 1024x768 on my G4 733... Why do people need resolutions higher than that? No wonder glasses sales are up :-)

For real, people worked at 512x384 on SEs for years... I could see a high res on a cinema display but not on a 17-20 inch screen.. 1024x768 seems to be the perfect res for everything.. I use photoshop, I do some AppleWorks spreadsheets, I surf the web.. I just don't see the big deal over high res... If you organize your screen realistate properly and don't have too much garbage stuff opened then you should be fine.[/LIST]

cmoney
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 12:00 AM

Originally posted by zadak:
<STRONG>Maybe I am totally crazy, but I think I am gonna switch from my old stinky G4 400 to a new iMac 800. I am a webdesigner so I am a lot in photoshop mucking around.

1. Is this a big mistake? I fell in love with the little sweetie and just want it.
2. Can I work with that low resolution?
3. The vga out is mirror only, but what resolution is it? 1024 as the iMac.screen? (Stupid question I know)
4 How is the colors in the screen?

thanks...

roger</STRONG>
Well, the biggest question really is what resolution do you run your current Mac at? If you're at 1152X870 or maybe even 1280X1024, 1024x768 maybe just fine.

If you're all the way up at 1600X1200 you're surely not gonna be happy on an iMac as a main machine! Especially if you've gotten used to running Photoshop at 1600x1200.

As for why higher resolution is good? For one, OS X uses much larger fonts and other widgets so you see less information on the same size screen. Also, I really hate mocking up graphics on a 1024x768 machine in Photoshop when you also have palettes open. It really only leaves around 800 pixels wide for the image. For print work, that's tiny. For video editing in FCP, it's really nice to have a big screen also. You can keep your project window open all the way so you can go through clips without having to constantly scroll around.

Bottom line, I can work in 1024x768 but 1600x1200 really gives you space to stretch. For my work, I end up scrolling around in 1024x768 so much it really becomes a timesaver to have the bigger screen. And in OS X, where graphics performance isn't so hot, it really really adds up.

As for being crazy for loving the new iMac? Nah, I'd love to buy a new iMac too. The more and more I see it, the more I want one! In fact, it's my birthday this month and I just may treat myself!

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: cmoney ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules