Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to re-install OS X on new G4 iMac

How to re-install OS X on new G4 iMac
Propofol
Mar 5, 2002, 11:56 AM

I need some advice...

I have purchased a display model iMac that is due here in a couple of days. It was only on display for two days, and I'm not concerned about the hardware end of things, but I know what people are like, and I don't really want people's test files, Stickies, etc. contaminating my hard disk.

Therefore, I thought I'd re-install from the CDs that come with the iMac. I thought I'd check here first though, in case there are any caveats. One thing I've heard about is that iDVD is not installed properly from the CDs... Is this true?

BTW, how many CDs should come with my iMac? I want to know if the salesman left out any packing manuals/CDs, etc.

Can anybody give me advice regarding this situation?

Thanks!

Danny Ricci
Mar 5, 2002, 01:15 PM

As long as your system comes with an OS X CD and Recovery CD set then you should be able to reinstall fine from those.

Just out of curiousity, where did you get a display model G4 iMac after 2 days of use? I'd think stores would want to hold on to their display models with their lives!

fulmer
Professional Poster
Mar 5, 2002, 01:27 PM

the imac should come with a ton of CDs. I know mine did. But to reinstall the system software, you will want to boot from the os 9 cd-rom. wipe the drive (which will erase all data, mind you) and reinstall os 9. then boot from the os x install cd-rom and run the os x installer. this process will give you a system as if it's brand new.

I've never used the software restore CDs, so there is probably a role for these, too.

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 02:14 PM

Is there a way to recover some of the applications without using the recovery CDs? For instance, where is iDVD? Some of the applications are on the Applications CD but others are missing...Any ideas?

Thanks!

Josh
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

nick h
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2002, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by JFischel:
<STRONG>Is there a way to recover some of the applications without using the recovery CDs? For instance, where is iDVD? Some of the applications are on the Applications CD but others are missing...Any ideas?

Thanks!

Josh</STRONG>
Don't have a G4 iMac, but my guess is its either on the OSX install disc, or on whatever extra applications disc came with the computer. If you've lost these discs, I think Apple will give you new ones. They gave me a new Software Install Disc for my Pismo a little over a year ago (but only after dealign with them on the phone for a LONG time). Try giving them a call and explain your situation: that you lost the discs, or they are scratched, or whatever...

-Nick
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

JFischel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2002, 08:36 AM

I have all the discs that came with the machine, but there is nothing labeled "iDVD." There's an "iPhoto" CD-ROM, several restore discs, and some application restore discs. Admittedly, I haven't done a lot of snooping around on those discs, but I wondered if any one happened across the iDVD installer on any of the included discs. I'm really interested in partitioning out, and removing a lot of the unnessessary stuff that gets installed using a restore image process...

Thanks...and most importantly enjoy the machines!

/jaf/
20 Inch Intel iMac * MacBook 2 GHz * 60GB iPod * 4GB iPhone

Propofol  (op)
Mar 6, 2002, 09:32 AM

Would you mind me asking exactly how many CDs come with the new iMac? This will allow me to know if the salesman who sent me the machine actually included all of the CDs (as this was a display model). Thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2002, 09:39 AM

You can use Pacifier (get it at www.versiontracker.com) to extract individual files/apps from the installer disks.

iDVD should be in one of the installer packages.

-spheric*

Gern
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 09:59 AM

I used my new iMac for a few days before deciding to partion it. This meant wiping out the drive and re installing. I used the restore disks supplied with the mac, and everything seems to be back the way it was before. Except its partioned.

I know I have iDVD back again, and I'm pretty sure it came from the restore disks. I think the only other thing I installed from another disk was iPhoto.

FYI
Gern

Propofol  (op)
Mar 6, 2002, 02:28 PM

Gern - how did you partition the drive (I mean, how much space did you allot to each partition)?

Jim Reese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 02:46 AM

I have read quite a few recommendations from around the web on how to partition your hard drive for use with OS X. Here's what I did, and what works best for me:

I have the iMac G4 800Mhz model with 60GB hard drive. Since I have some applications that don't work well, or at all, in Classic mode, I need to be able to boot into OS 9 as well as OS X. I also wanted a minimum install of OS 9 just for Classic mode, to minimize any problems with unneeded extensions, control panels, etc.

I partitioned the drive as follows, all in HFS+ format:

5 GB for OS X/Classic system files only
5 GB for OS 9 system files only
50 GB (actually a bit less) for everything else I will install

First, I booted the OS 9 CD and did a minimum "core" install of OS 9 on the first 5 GB partition. This is highly recommended from a lot of OS X users who have experience working out problems in the Classic mode. Most services provided by OS 9 extensions are already provided by OS X, so you really only need to do a custom installation of just the "core" OS 9 software to use as Classic.

Then, while still running the OS 9 installer, I did a full install of OS 9 on the second 5 GB partition.

Next, I booted with the OS X CD, and did a full install of OS X on the first 5 GB partition (with the core OS 9). Following a reboot into OS X on the first partition, I used the Classic control panel to select the OS 9 on that same partition as the one to use for Classic.

Next, I booted from the OS X partition and the OS 9 partition, set up internet access on each, and ran Software Update to get the latest updates from Apple. In particular, the DVD Player 3.1 update in OS X showed definite improvements. The Player supplied with the iMac worked okay, but would freeze for a second or so every 5 to 10 minutes during playback. This was on a machine with 768 MB of RAM, so I know the memory wasn't the problem. No hangs with the new version, however.

Now, at this point, the only software installed was that provided by Apple. I then launched Terminal and entered commands to move my home directory to the third partition (the 50 GB partition). Moving your home directory to a separate partition can be very beneficial: if you ever need to reinstall OS X, you can simply format the OS X partition, reinstall OS X, and be back up and running in a short time, without having to back up any non-Apple applications or personal files you have on the other partition. I don't recommend moving any Apple-provided applications to this partition, however, because the Software Update feature looks for these applications in their default location, and serious problems can arise if they they have been moved and you try to install the updates.

The Terminal commands for moving your home directory to a different partition are described at http://www.bombich.com as well as other useful suggestions for working with OS X. It's not difficult at all.

I then installed all my applications and files into my new home directory on the 50 GB partition. For installing OS 9 applications, I first try to install them while booted in OS X with Classic running, and then try to launch them from Classic. For those applications that don't work in Classic, I boot into the OS 9 and install them. However, the applications are always installed on the 50 GB partition. I just have to make sure I remove any files the application installed in my Classic System Folder for those applications that don't work in Classic, and keep the Classic system as small as possible.

So far, this has worked very well. You could probably get by with making the 5 GB partitions even smaller. The full OS X install (minus the language support files I don't need) and the Developer Tools only take up 2 GB of the first partition. But, since I will probably never fill up the 50 GB partition, I'm not concerned about wasted space on the smaller partitions.

I hope my example helps some of you figure out what partition scheme works best for you. I believe the biggest advantage is in moving your home directory to a separate partition than where the System files are kept.

Email me directly at [email protected] if you have any questions, and I'll try to help if I can.

- Jim

Jim Reese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 02:57 AM

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Jim Reese ]

Jim Reese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 02:58 AM

[ 03-07-2002: Message edited by: Jim Reese ]

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2002, 03:23 AM

These are the disks you should have:
iPhoto
2 CD-R disks
World Book OS X edition
iMac Mac OS X install
imac Mac OS 9 install
Software restore 1-6
Apple Hardware Test
iMac Applications

Now, to install, simply boot the computer with the first software restore disk in the drive and hold down c, follow instructions, erase drive, and you have a brand new computer.

Good luck
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2002, 04:16 PM

MacZealot left one off the list -- there's also a blank DVD-R.

The only way to get iDVD (and some other parts) back when wiping and reinstalling is the Software Restore CD set. If you're partitioning, you'll have to boot off the OS 9 or OS X install CD to do that, then boot off Restore CD 1.

Hmpf. If it wasn't for having to use the Restore CDs to get iDVD back after I partitioned, I'd be able to say I've never had this iMac booted into OS 9.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Jim Reese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
<STRONG>You can use Pacifier (get it at www.versiontracker.com) to extract individual files/apps from the installer disks.

iDVD should be in one of the installer packages.

-spheric*</STRONG>
The name of the utility is Pacifist, not Pacifier.

Propofol  (op)
Mar 9, 2002, 11:26 AM

Jim,

I am wondering if the 'switching users directory to another partition method' that you quoted from www.bombich.com will allow me to administer my Users as normal through the Mac GUI.

For instance, if I move the users directory and then create a new user from the System Preferences, will the new user appear on my new partition with the migrated stuff?

I just wondered if this is a 'complete' solution before fire ahead with this.

Thanks.

Jim Reese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2002, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by Propofol:
<STRONG>Jim,

I am wondering if the 'switching users directory to another partition method' that you quoted from www.bombich.com will allow me to administer my Users as normal through the Mac GUI.

For instance, if I move the users directory and then create a new user from the System Preferences, will the new user appear on my new partition with the migrated stuff?

I just wondered if this is a 'complete' solution before fire ahead with this.

Thanks.</STRONG>
I tried to create a new user after I had successfully moved my home directory to the new partition, and experienced some problems locating the new directory. The Users control panel clearly showed the new user account existed, but I couldn't locate the new user folder anywhere. I emailed Mike Bombich and he responded that he had also experienced that problem on another Mac after moving the home directory.

So, I decided to once again reformat my drive, this time into only 2 partitions, 50GB for OS X and 10GB for OS 9. I decided to not use Classic at all, after reading about all the quirks and problems some users have with it. Most of the software I use day to day is OS X compatible. Only a few of my applications and games require booting into OS 9, and having a dual-boot system has proven to be the best solution for me. Eventually, I won't need OS 9 at all, and can reclaim that drive space for use with OS X applications.

If I ever need to reinstall OS X, I will simply copy my home directory, plus any global applications or files I need to the second partion, then I'll erase the first partition and reinstall OS X, and them move the files back, and everything will work just like before. The beauty of OS X is that all of your preferences, settings, etc, are maintained in your home directory, and all these settings don't have to be redone after reinstalling OS X. From the time I decided I needed to reinstall OS X, I could be finished and back running normally in less than 30 minutes.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2002, 05:25 AM

In response to the poster who partitioned his drive, did you think about making a partition for the swap space? I've heard that could be one of the best OS X optimization tricks in the book. I have no idea how to do it through Terminal, nor do I know how much space the swap partition should ideally have. However, it makes sense that not only would such a scheme speed up one's system, it would also cut down on disk fragmentation.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Jim Reese
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
<STRONG>In response to the poster who partitioned his drive, did you think about making a partition for the swap space? I've heard that could be one of the best OS X optimization tricks in the book. I have no idea how to do it through Terminal, nor do I know how much space the swap partition should ideally have. However, it makes sense that not only would such a scheme speed up one's system, it would also cut down on disk fragmentation.</STRONG>
From what I've read, setting up a partition as a swap drive will only benefit you if your system has less than 512MB of RAM. The benefit was more apparent on older Macs with slower processors and hard drives. Since I'm using a G4/800Mhz with 768MB, I saw no benefit in doing this for my system.

I would suggest going to www.macosxhints.com if you want detailed directions on how to create a swap drive, and how to get the most benefit from it. I refrain from posting directions myself, since I haven't researched this enough to give you detailed instructions.

If you can afford to add more memory, that's the best way to speed things up, and with more memory, you can minimize or even eliminate the need for your computer to use the swap file.

Good luck.

Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules