Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Superdrive CD-Rs won't play

Superdrive CD-Rs won't play
allen214
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 12:48 PM

I have burned numerous CDs from iTunes 2.0.3 on the Superdrive of my flatscreen iMac G4 800 (OS-X, 512 MB), but most players I've tried refuse to recognize the discs (display '00:00' or reject the disc). The internal player does recognize the discs as do several CD players I've tried, but the majority of players won't play the discs. I realize that occasional problems are inevitable, but I've had six players already that refuse to recognize the CD-Rs, and all of these players have been able to play other CD-Rs burned on other equipment.

The first suspect was media, but having tried six different brands and types of CD-Rs that have been recommended, I think this can be ruled out. Apple Care went through all the settings with me, and they were all set correctly. Their final suggestion was to have the disc drive replaced, but I'm reluctant to do this with my 3 week old computer especially with complaints I've read about the Superdrive that are far more serious than my problem.

Any suggestions as to what I should try next? Should I wait in hopes that Apple will eventually acknowledge problems with the Superdrive and issue a firmware upgrade?

Danny Ricci
Mar 5, 2002, 12:55 PM

Doesn't sound like a widespread problem... Are you sure your playlists aren't too big and iTunes is defaulting to burn a MP3 CD instead of a standard Audio CD?

allen214  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Danny Ricci:
<STRONG>Doesn't sound like a widespread problem... Are you sure your playlists aren't too big and iTunes is defaulting to burn a MP3 CD instead of a standard Audio CD?</STRONG>

allen214  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 01:16 PM

I have burned CD-Rs of various lengths with similar results -- everything from 2 songs / 6 minutes to 25 tracks / 70 minutes -- and the majority of players refuse to recognize them.

murthys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 01:45 PM

You must be doing something wrong. I was able to play my CD-R created on a brand new iMac G4 on a 12 year old magnavox CD player.

allen214  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 03:40 PM

It doesn't matter how old or expensive the players are: one of the oldest recognizes the CD-Rs as does a $40 boombox.

Tech support at Apple walked me through all the steps of burning and were convinced that I was doing everything correctly.

omarv
Forum Regular
Mar 5, 2002, 11:15 PM

what kind of media are you using, some of the really cheap media come with a blue layer, these are not very reflective. the gold or silver discs and even green tinted ones seem to do much better. This leads to problems in some cd players, try using a major brand media, like sony, memorex, kodak, or fuji. hope this helps.

allen214  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by omarv:
<STRONG>what kind of media are you using, some of the really cheap media come with a blue layer, these are not very reflective. the gold or silver discs and even green tinted ones seem to do much better. This leads to problems in some cd players, try using a major brand media, like sony, memorex, kodak, or fuji. hope this helps.</STRONG>
I have tried five different brands of CD-R: Memorex Music (700 mb, 16X), Fuji (700 mb, 24X), TDK (650 mb, 12X and 700 mb, 16x), Maxell Music 74, and MacZone (700 mb) -- all with similar results. The Maxell are gold, the others are green. My wife has been burning from iTunes using Que!Fire and MacZone discs, and none of her CDs have had any problem being recognized by any of our players. These players have never had any problem reading CD-Rs burned by friends using other equipment.

Forum Links
Forum Rules