Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Do I have a Dead Video Card? (iMac G4)

Do I have a Dead Video Card? (iMac G4)
Cesar Estrada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2002, 10:52 PM

Hello people!!!!

Anyone out there have seen this problem before?: http://homepage.mac.com/cestrada/PhotoAlbum2.html

This is my new iMac G4.... it is only 5 days old... and today it started to show the problem seen in the pictures....

The problems used to appear at random... but now it is permanent, even after having the computer turned off for more than 10 minutes.

The Apple Hardware Test gave me some 'ERROR CODE' warning on the Video Card Test: The error is "disp/XX/X" where X means different numbers after each test like "15/5", "13/2" "14/4" and "13/2" Some times the hardware test went fine� and some times did not.

Is there a way to reset the Video Card or the Video Memory somehow?

Tomorrow I�m going to have to take the computer to the wonderful technicians at CompUSA!!!!

mchladek
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2002, 04:38 PM

I can't help you too much but I'll try. To me it doesn't really look like a video card problem. Have you tried booting it into Mac OS 9 or from the recover CD? Have you zapped PRAM or tried doing a clean install of the OS(s)?

Good Luck!

Cesar Estrada  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2002, 02:08 AM

mchladek: Thanks for your reply.... I have'nt use 9, but when I start the computer with Apple Hardware Test CD, the problem remains... and I think it is using 9... but not sure...

The funny thing is that i'm reading something regarding DVD Player 3.11 and some video cards not working properly; and my problem started when I was downloading this updater... I can't remember if 'Software Updater' was still downloading the file or it was installing it... but I remember that I doble click 'Adobe InDesign 2.0' and when the splash screen show up the monitor went crazy.... maybe this has something to do with 'Apple DVD Player 3.11'

[ 03-11-2002: Message edited by: Cesar Estrada ]

Danny Ricci
Mar 11, 2002, 03:37 PM

If the test cd is reporting a video card problem, then there's a video card problem, plain and simple. Take it to a certified tech and see if they can replace it or get you a new iMac.

Forum Links
Forum Rules