Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > the good things about the price hike

the good things about the price hike
vvedge
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2002, 11:40 PM

Ok, we're all p/o'ed...."F*ck steve, damn steve, go to hell steve..." lets get all that anger out...

but what about the bright side of this?

Well, maybe not bright... but there might be a glmmer...

This is going to save Apple in the long run... sure they will lose prospective customers, but only those buying this late anyway. But its argueably better to lose a few customers than to take a profit hit every iMac they sell.

How many stories did you hear the last few weeks about Apple going to be in trouble if they dont meet demand this quarter?

This price hike will slow down demand, and maybe they can actually get a decent amount of these units shipped..

And one thing I noticed immediately after the announcement, people on the fence about buying the iMac bought it tonight, not from Apple of course, but from retailers not yet up to date with the price...

I am as annoyed with this as anyone, I think its going to hurt Apple's image... But I'm hoping it saves Apple rear in this case. Its one thing to suffer and pretend there's no situation with the LCDs, but its another to take action about it...

You can "f*ck steve" "screw apple" all you want... I expect that much...
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2002, 05:52 PM

You are forgetting how easy it is to cancel your iMac order.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by vvedge:
<STRONG>This price hike will slow down demand, and maybe they can actually get a decent amount of these units shipped..</STRONG>
The number of units shipped this quarter wouldn't be impacted by this increase in price, unless that $100 is such a powerful incentive for Apple that it causes the company to ramp up production in a way that it wouldn't before. And if Apple had the capacity to produce the machines at the old price but waited to raise the price before doing so, then that's a bait and switch. Look, I'm a very solid proponent of corporations doing well financially, yet I fail to see the logic in this move. This will kill a portion of demand, and when Apple finally has enough units for sale, a corresponding portion of them will sit on the shelves.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Viv Savage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2002, 06:27 PM

Maybe this current price hike will allow Apple to upgrade the next revision iMac's with improved bus speed, Proline chip architecture (bigger cache,etc) without a price increase. If so, I will certainly upgrade.

nana2
Senior User
Mar 21, 2002, 06:41 PM

The question is: Will the price increase cause people who were going to order (despite long delivery times) to now either not buy a Mac or buy a PC or something else instead. It's all very well to meet earnings forecast and sprout gibberish how Apple has 4 billion in cash, but if you are pushing new people who are interested in the Mac experience away, that is not good for the long-term market share. A $100 dollars may not be much by itself, but when compared to the previous price it is a large increase. I was reading that in Canada prices have been increased CAN$200, which is a 20% increase from previously. Insanity.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Mar 21, 2002, 07:03 PM

If you need to raise prices $100 across the board over three months after you announce a what could be your most sucessful product ever then you've got larger problems than just meeting quarterly financial goals.

As nana alluded to, when your major goal is to reclaim lost market share by converting users to your product, increasing prices in a market where your competitors are dropping prices is simply ludicrous and a egotistical test of the extreme loyalty of your customers to buy at nearly any price.

Speed

[ 03-21-2002: Message edited by: SpeedRacer ]

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2002, 07:54 PM

I was just about to purchase an imac from the local Apple store, when I was informed of the price increase. I have been researching tirelessly for the past two months, trying to absorb everyting I can from this and other mac forums. I am a current pc user, and I've been very impressed with the mac community. Unfortunately, The imac 800 was pricey enough at $1800.00. This extra $100.00 tacked on has essentially eliminated me from purchasing the imac. I am sorely disapponted. Two grand is alot of money to drop on a consumer level computer. It looks like I'll be heading on over to Dell with my tail tucked between my legs.

Viv Savage
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by eroom1369:
<STRONG>I was just about to purchase an imac from the local Apple store, when I was informed of the price increase. I have been researching tirelessly for the past two months, trying to absorb everyting I can from this and other mac forums. I am a current pc user, and I've been very impressed with the mac community. Unfortunately, The imac 800 was pricey enough at $1800.00. This extra $100.00 tacked on has essentially eliminated me from purchasing the imac. I am sorely disapponted. Two grand is alot of money to drop on a consumer level computer. It looks like I'll be heading on over to Dell with my tail tucked between my legs. </STRONG>
D*mn! You just proved nana2's point! It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

vvedge  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 10:38 PM

<STRONG>I was just about to purchase an imac from the local Apple store, when I was informed of the price increase. I have been researching tirelessly for the past two months, trying to absorb everyting I can from this and other mac forums </STRONG>
Even as little as 5 percent sales tax would mean $100 tacked on if you bought via the Apple Store. Didn't quite research that, did you?

Or that many retailers will probably sell it for $1800 for a little while before they update their pricing?

Could've ordered one for 1800 last night... or CHEAPER... some places have refurbs in stock, great deals, etc...
--whats this button do?

Goodbye koobi
... we had fun, but Apple Repair and the years have not been kind to you... godspeed...

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2002, 11:31 PM

I'm well aware of the sales tax involved. I didn't have to research that. Either pay sales tax, or shipping, pick your poison. The Apple store is located close by,and they always have the imac in stock, that's why I chose them. The reality is, that $1800.00 is quite a bit of money for a consumer level pc to begin with. I don't know about the rest of you, but $1800.00 is a lot of money to me. Adding that extra $100.00 certainly pushes it to the edge. I'm quite suprised by the number of mac users in the various forums lashing out at people, that are upset with the increase. I've heard things like "cry babies", "whiners" etc. It's quite disappointing. In a perfect world, we could all go about spending freely, but that's not a reality for me. I read on msnbc, that upon the announcement ofthe price increase, that analysts slashed earnings for Q2. The stock price tumbled, and JP Morgan said they had significant concerns over Apples profitability. I think there's much more to this increase in price, than supply shortages, and memory costs. It is certainly alarming to me, and probably to most stock holders.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2002, 11:45 PM

IMO a $700 profit margin will get any company to build 5000 imacs a day.

$1200 to build an imac 800, do the math
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2002, 12:07 AM

$700 doesn't go a long way when you start calculating R&D, advertising, management, etc. etc. etc...

anyway, anyone that is pissed, go pick up a tower... they are sitting in boxes waiting to be purchased. I got the 733 tower (Education Pricing) for 1202, and it was at my house the next day! It's wonderful... and it's graphite, not white...

mathew_m
Senior User
Mar 22, 2002, 01:14 AM

Seriously, if you're here on these boards doing research on switching platforms and are trully intrigued by the Mac platform and in love with the new iMac's design, what is 100 bucks? Yes I know that times are tough and you are worried about paying off student loans and credit card bills, but again, what is 100 bucks in todays world. Why do people lease cars, and pay a premium 3 years later to buy the thing? Why buy trendy, designer clothing when it will be on the discount racks a year later? Why are two guys wasting 6 months of their lives (when they could be working) standing in line for the new Star Wars movie? Why do people pay $8 to see a bad movie? Why buy a $20 DVD only to watch it once? (guilty as charged) Why buy a $15 CD for one good song? (not guilty) What am I getting at? We spend a lot of frivolous money and time on consumer goods rather then saving for stuff we really want. If you really want that new iMac, then save up the extra few bucks and buy it. Don't hem and haw and cry about going to Dell. By saying such a thing means you really were'nt all tha interested in buying an iMac anyway. I'd imagine if the iMac 800 was only $1699 and the price was raised to $1799 we'd be hearing same whining.
Hey nobody's making you buy it Dell boy.

Dude you're getting a Dell!

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: mathew_m ]

Bubba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 01:29 AM

Originally posted by cdhostage:
<STRONG>You are forgetting how easy it is to cancel your iMac order.</STRONG>
Why would you just cancel your order? If you already have one ordered, then they are honoring the original price! So what is your point if it is easy to cancel?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2002, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by nana2:
<STRONG>I was reading that in Canada prices have been increased CAN$200, which is a 20% increase from previously. Insanity.</STRONG>
If you kept on reading that thread, you would have found out that someone did his math wrong. An increase of CAN$200 on an iMac (CAN$2049 lowend - CAN$2849 highend) is a %10 increase at the most.

I certainly hope no-one cancelled an order they already had as Apple is honoring the original price on any orders taken before the price increase.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2002, 01:27 PM

<STRONG>I was just about to purchase an imac from the local Apple store, when I was informed of the price increase. ... I am sorely disapponted. Two grand is alot of money to drop on a consumer level computer. It looks like I'll be heading on over to Dell with my tail tucked between my legs. </STRONG>
Exactly how much do you think you're going to save buying a Dell? Configuring a Dell system with a 15" flat panel, DVD-R drive, on-board Firewire and USB, and all the other iMac specs is not going to save you anything significant, and might even cost you more. $2000 may be a lot for a consumer computer, but no PC maker is selling a DVD authoring system for $900. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 02:06 PM

You can't configure a Dell or a Gateway with the EXACT same specs as the imac, however, if you were to configure a Gateway 500xl system with a dvd-rw it comes out to just over 1800 with a lcd monitor. What you get though is a bigger faster hard drive 80gb @ 7200rpm, double the memory 512mb of DDR SDRAM not pc100 sdram. Front side usb, and firewire. A p4 2.0ghz processor, and on and on. So in reality, you get a much better hardware set with the gateway. However, you have to deal with Windows. Apple definitely cuts corners with the hardware, in order to "give" you the software. The hardware spec on the imac is not impressive by any means for the price. Apple gets people lke me on the stable os, and user friendly software. If you were to spec a machine based on the imac hardware, you're looking at a sub $1000.00 machine easily. 100mhz system bus? It's actually difficult to find a pc that still uses it! Apple definitely skimped on the hardware. I know it's difficult for the mac crowd to be objective (Unfortunately, I'm finding that out).

abrody
Mar 22, 2002, 02:22 PM

Actually it isn't exactly the same specs. The iMac includes:

A 2.5 Ghz Pentium IV equivalent processor, with 15" diagonal digital LCD that is adjustable to be at eye level for anyone from 4 to 7 feet tall and able to rotate on its base 180 degrees, 2 bootable IEEE 1394 ports that supply power to external devices with 6 pins instead of 4, 3 USB ports open after you plug in the keyboard and mouse, room for up to 1 GB of RAM, wireless LAN 802.11b card, 60 GB hard drive, free movie editing, free DVD burning, free CD burning, free variable rate MP3 ripping and mixing, free encyclopedia and dictionary, and word processor, and spreadsheet, and database, and paint program, and Quicken Finance program, and 32MB VideoRAM, and 10/100 ethernet, and 56k modem, and SVGA external mirroring support, and digital speakers with built in amplifier, and built-in microphone, and headphone port and external lock chain support for under $2100. Yes the new iMac has all of that, and to bring it up to $2100 it will run any Intel compatible Operating System. Feature for feature, the iMac is a great value no matter how you price it.

To learn how you can run Windows XP on a Mac for $200, visit http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5m.html

The best a Dell can do is run Mac OS 8.1. And that is nowhere near close enough to run all those great iApps.

I might add, the advantage the Mac enjoys is not from the System bus but from the vector processing and RISC processing features of the G4. Do more research. The G4 in the iMac has fewer pipelines making it equivalent to a Pentium IV running at 2.5 Ghz. For proof look at
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/d...ance_test.html and see the RC5 tests. The G4 found in the iMac is a third the dual 1 Ghz speed, and that's still faster than a Pentium IV by at least 25%.

By the way, the drive in that iMac is DVD-RW compatible, though Apple doesn't say that directly. DVD-R is the format you'll use more often to make your own DVD player compatible DVDs.

[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: abrody ]
Check out my index of over 300 Macintosh sites, with links updated monthly at:
http://www.index-site.com

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 02:57 PM

I might add, the advantage the Mac enjoys is not from the System bus but from the vector processing and RISC processing features of the G4. Do more research. The G4 in the iMac has fewer pipelines making it equivalent to a Pentium IV running at 2.5 Ghz. For proof look at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/d...ance_test.html and see the RC5 tests. The G4 found in the iMac is a third the dual 1 Ghz speed, and that's still faster than a Pentium IV by at least 25%.

This is sheer mac propoganda at its worst. There are hundreds of benchmark tests on the web comparing the G4, the Athlon, and the P4. Each processor will do certain things faster or slower. Check out www.tomshardware.com for the flip side of your benchmark tests. The reality is that the G4 IS losing ground to Intel and AMD in terms of speed. Too bad we can't all afford to go out and buy a dual gig G4 for 3 grand. There are a few types of readers here. The type that are so pro Apple, that they will mindlessly accept aything that Apple spoon feeds them, and the crossover, or potential crossover user, that are intrigued with Apple products, but also realize when they're getting Jobbed. Selling 40gb hard drives for the same price as 120 gb hard drives doesn't sit well with me. If these production issues with LCD's and other components are an issue industry wide, then why havent all PC makers jumped in and jacked up prices yet. It seems to me that Apple has made some poor decisions in dealings with manufacturers, and vendors, and is passing it along to the consumer. Apple has the largest margins in the biz. They need to focus on appreciating their loyal customers, and stop taking advantage of them. They need to start producing products that are more affordable, and stop being so greedy. The new buyers are out there, and Apple needs to do a much better job of reaching out, if they are to gain a bigger share of the market.

nana2
Senior User
Mar 22, 2002, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Nonsuch:
<STRONG>

Exactly how much do you think you're going to save buying a Dell? Configuring a Dell system with a 15" flat panel, DVD-R drive, on-board Firewire and USB, and all the other iMac specs is not going to save you anything significant, and might even cost you more. $2000 may be a lot for a consumer computer, but no PC maker is selling a DVD authoring system for $900. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.</STRONG>
The guy is on a budget. He wants the Mac experience but without spending $1800. And yet he doesn't want to squint into a 15" CRT screen of a g3 iMac. With Dell he doesn't have to have a flat panel LCD (which is hardly a budget option), he can go for a much cheaper CRT screen instead.

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 03:38 PM

Whiny bitchery. If you're wanting a new iMac and the price goes up a 100$ and then you piss yourself, should you be buying a computer? An extra hundred bucks is nothing. Oooh woe is me the price was hiked seven percent. If you're that concerned with price grab a G3 iMac for 800$. The original poster has a point, a 100$ increase isn't signifigant, the world is not going to end, people are not going to throw their Macs out the nearest window. If people are willing to pay 1299$ for a new iMac a price increase to 1399$ isn't going to dissuade most prospective buyers. Whining here not withstanding. Apple needs to maintain their profit margin on iMacs. If you run a publicly traded company and tell your shareholders one quater that you've decided to make less profit in order to be cool you're going to be burned alive. Please.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 03:45 PM

Whiny bitchery. If you're wanting a new iMac and the price goes up a 100$ and then you piss yourself, should you be buying a computer? An extra hundred bucks is nothing. Oooh woe is me the price was hiked seven percent. If you're that concerned with price grab a G3 iMac for 800$. The original poster has a point, a 100$ increase isn't signifigant, the world is not going to end, people are not going to throw their Macs out the nearest window. If people are willing to pay 1299$ for a new iMac a price increase to 1399$ isn't going to dissuade most prospective buyers. Whining here not withstanding. Apple needs to maintain their profit margin on iMacs. If you run a publicly traded company and tell your shareholders one quater that you've decided to make less profit in order to be cool you're going to be burned alive. Please.

Spoken like a true idiot

nana2
Senior User
Mar 22, 2002, 03:45 PM

Originally posted by abrody:
<STRONG>Actually it isn't exactly the same specs. The iMac includes:

I might add, the advantage the Mac enjoys is not from the System bus but from the vector processing and RISC processing features of the G4. Do more research. The G4 in the iMac has fewer pipelines making it equivalent to a Pentium IV running at 2.5 Ghz. For proof look at
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/d...ance_test.html and see the RC5 tests. The G4 found in the iMac is a third the dual 1 Ghz speed, and that's still faster than a Pentium IV by at least 25%.
</STRONG>
OMFG. This is the funniest thing I have read all day. As long as there are Mac users like this, the RDF is in absolutely no danger of popping. Hey abrody, how much of OS X has an rc5 codebase? I hear Adobe have made Photoshop 7 accelerated by rc5 too.

nana2
Senior User
Mar 22, 2002, 03:55 PM

Apple raise iMac prices by $100. And yet Dell currently have 20% off on their entire range of computer accessories, including all their LCD monitors!

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 03:59 PM

No, sorry. What was done on stage points toward mistakes, not Apple being proud of the iMac so much that they felt they could screw the buyers out of another $100 of profit for Apple.

Steve did not announce the price increase, from what I read...Phil Schiller did. Sounds like Steve was embarassed and didn't want the glaring or booing, so Phil made the price increase announcement.

This does not show Steve being proud of the new price of the iMac G4.

Oh yes, and if you think this is a matter of screwing the faithful, you're wrong. Tha faithful would buy the iMac G4 at $2000. The problem is increasing the 5% marketshare by perpetuating the myth that Macs are more expensive. This simply will not happen.
--- Robert Aldridge
[email protected]

There you have it!!!!!

WinnerMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2002, 07:06 PM

Screw the price hikes. It sucks big time! Not only Apple makes its customers wait forever to its new imac due to its incompetent production managements and decisions...now its going to increase $100 for all its Imac lines. F***K it I said. It should have eats up the cost to make up for all the frustating waits customers have to endure!

I've always said we need more companies making Apple computers, not just Apples. Competitions that make Apple format gain market shares just like what had happened in the PC industry. When it comes to monopoly, everyone loses especially the consumers!

So to the prices hike, I said "Stick it up their azzes!"

Nicko
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2002, 10:26 PM

Look at it this way, this is the first imac that has increased in value!! Imagine if you could actually resell these in a few years and make a profit

TNproud2b
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2002, 10:29 PM

I'll take the P4 @ 2.5GHz

It's three times faster than the G4 at everything except RC5...which I have no interest in.
*empty space*

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2002, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
<STRONG>IMO a $700 profit margin will get any company to build 5000 imacs a day.

$1200 to build an imac 800, do the math </STRONG>
so if i send you 1200 dollars you can make me a 800 mhz g4 imac?

Graymalkin
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2002, 12:14 AM

eroom1369 you're a moron. You might want to *think* things through before calling other people idiots. You've made no point whatsoever and have added nothing to the conversation at hand. Your parents should be ashamed.
2GHz 15" MacBook Pro, 120GB 5400rpm HD, 2GB RAM

TheGeneral
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2002, 12:37 AM

I just upgraded to an iMac 800 (from outpost.com) this week, having sold the first Mac I ever owned -- a six month old iMac 600 CD-RW. I was totally Wintel before that. My friend also had always bought Wintel but could never find a Mac that was within her price/performance specs. This is her first Mac also. Why did we go Mac? Ease of use AND no barriers to sharing documents with PC users... the ability to do the work/fun we want to do and share it within our respective virtual communities.

Regarding the price increase: I would have still bought the iMac 800 for $100 more... and no, $100 is not meaningless. But... if I counted every hour I've lost trying to add a new program/peripheral to my PC and then having to reinstall Windows and still not getting the darn thing to work right, well that $100 is pretty cheap. I've already made back that money, being able to burn CDs and make my family videos viewable to even non-family members... right out of the box. I now spend 80% of my computer being creative/productive and 20% tinkering, as opposed to my Wintel days, when I was only 20% creative/productive and 80% tinkering/repairing.

So... count two new members among the Mac faithful, and possibly more. Already three co-workers (also Wintel customers) have asked to come over and check out this spiffy new iMac, even with knowing about the $100 price hike.

eroom1369
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 23, 2002, 01:24 AM

eroom1369 you're a moron. You might want to *think* things through before calling other people idiots. You've made no point whatsoever and have added nothing to the conversation at hand. Your parents should be ashamed.

Like I said, spoken like a true idiot. You have a complete inability to look at things objectively. Your attacking posts have become tiresome.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2002, 10:34 PM

Well I am upset about the price increase because I want to get an imac, and I was going to do it soon, but now thats an extra $100 that I cant really afford right now. Plus if I buy it now, in a few months they will go down in price and apple will probably announce new imac versions (maybe a 1 Ghz 17" monitor GF 4?? ) and that might be the same price as what they want for the imacs now, but will be much better and I will have time to save the extra $100 So we'll see, I think I can hold out, but apple has to realize that this is impacting their sales, especially to pc users who wanted to try macs out, like come on, they are like $3800 CDN now I can buy 2 top of the line PC's for that price (including 17" monitors) So untill they lower the prices or introduce new hardware or features I think I will sit on the fence....

Chris

hab
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2002, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
<STRONG>

So untill they lower the prices or introduce new hardware or features I think I will sit on the fence....

Chris</STRONG>

Yep. I was gonna upgrade as soon as the "backlog" craziness ended and I could buy a machine without having to get on one list or another. When the prices went up I was disappointed that I waited. Now I am just of a mind to wait until the price comes back down again. Afterall, I have waited this long to upgrade, what is another 6 months or more...
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Wardy
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2002, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
<STRONG>Well I am upset about the price increase because I want to get an imac, and I was going to do it soon, but now thats an extra $100 that I cant really afford right now.

Chris</STRONG>
Seem like us Aussies got a good deal for a change. I read about the price rise last weekend. It doesn't take effect here until 2nd April and you can still order online at the old price.

It prodded me into putting my deposit down! Yeah, I know a Rev B will come out soon and the price may drop.

I've seen other price rises (ie non-Apple) around the place as well as RAM price increases. Seems we may be in a new era; one where technology products increase in price

BTW, I don't think there's any need to get grumbly about people posting kind words regarding peecee's.

Are there really people out there who aren't occasionally jealous of, eg, a PC hard drive upgrade for a fraction of the cost on a Mac hard drive upgrade?

Still, I sent out a few emails to get quotes on my (soon-to-be) new iMac G4 and the resellers are much more competitive than Apple's online store.

I got the RAM upgrade for less than 1/2 price and also got discounts on Office v.X, AppleCare, Zip drive -- you name it!

If we're comparing prices, best look at the street price, not the Apple price.

JM2C

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Wardy ]

[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: Wardy ]
iMac G4 800Mhz, 1Gb; Mac OS 10.3; Canon S200SP; Zip 250 USB; Canon MV30i; iPod 40Gb; Canon PowerShot G3; UMAX 1220U
iMac Rev A, 96Mb, MacOS 9.2.2

abrody
Mar 29, 2002, 10:25 AM

<STRONG>

OMFG. This is the funniest thing I have read all day. As long as there are Mac users like this, the RDF is in absolutely no danger of popping. Hey abrody, how much of OS X has an rc5 codebase? I hear Adobe have made Photoshop 7 accelerated by rc5 too.</STRONG>
It isn't just rc5. It is blast:
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2002/feb/07blast.html

and all the applications on:
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/processor.html

Now if NIH is finding their software runs 5 times faster on a Mac,
maybe you need to rethink your ideas of what a G4 does. RISC processing
vector processing, and fewer pipeline stages all contribute to better processing on the G4 Macs. If you haven't tried a Mac G4 processor, don't think it is something that it isn't. It is really fast. It smokes any Pentium out there, including the 2.4 Ghz.

abrody
Mar 29, 2002, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
<STRONG>I'll take the P4 @ 2.5GHz

It's three times faster than the G4 at everything except RC5...which I have no interest in.</STRONG>
Everything except RC5? Take a look at all these applications:
http://www.apple.com/powerbook/processor.html

Look, if you want processing speed, you get a G4. If you want headaches
of upgrading a PC and adding hardware to a PC that isn't plug and play, you get a PC. There is nothing that a PC can do, that a Mac can't do better. PCs can only run Mac OS 8.1. Macs can run Mac OS X and Windows XP at the same time.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2002, 10:30 PM

<STRONG>Apple raise iMac prices by $100. And yet Dell currently have 20% off on their entire range of computer accessories, including all their LCD monitors!</STRONG>
Until today it sounds... today's MacNN article says it all

"Dell, others raise PC prices
(3 Comments)
In recent weeks, PC manufacturer Dell Computer has introduced several new computer models that sport faster processors and more memory, but also carry larger price tags for what would normally be successor products. In an effort to maintain profitability on bargain-basement PCs, rising component costs have forced Dell to raise the price of low-end machines and offer relatively marginal improvements, according to a Yahoo! report. Earlier this month, Apple raised the cost of all three iMac models by $100. "
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Danny Ricci
Mar 29, 2002, 11:30 PM

Well, if you don't want to spend an extra $100 on an iMac and aren't interested in any other Apple products, then move on along. No need to sit in here and piss off the regulars. We speak from experience. Sure, the iMac may not be as fast as the latest Pentium 4, but it's faster than most people NEED to get work done and have fun. Mac OS X alone is worth an extra $100. I don't think I could ever go back to Windows full time. It's a cluttered virus ridden security death trap mess! Mac OS X is the center of my digital lifestyle. Everything looks and works how it should! I may not have the fastest computer, but atleast I can use my computer without troubleshooting bugs and removing viruses and reinstalling Windows every week. Or applying security paches whenever a script kiddie decides to launch a world wide DoS attacks. I can use my computer how I want to, with any browser, with the stability and security of Unix.

If you don't want to buy an iMac, don't sit in here and try to intemidate us with your "I'm getting a Dell" and "U R A TRU IDOT! LOSR!" talk. I don't care what you do, just don't bother us!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by Danny Ricci:
<STRONG>Well, if you don't want to spend an extra $100 on an iMac and aren't interested in any other Apple products, then move on along. No need to sit in here and piss off the regulars. We speak from experience. Sure, the iMac may not be as fast as the latest Pentium 4, but it's faster than most people NEED to get work done and have fun. Mac OS X alone is worth an extra $100. I don't think I could ever go back to Windows full time. It's a cluttered virus ridden security death trap mess! Mac OS X is the center of my digital lifestyle. Everything looks and works how it should! I may not have the fastest computer, but atleast I can use my computer without troubleshooting bugs and removing viruses and reinstalling Windows every week. Or applying security paches whenever a script kiddie decides to launch a world wide DoS attacks. I can use my computer how I want to, with any browser, with the stability and security of Unix.

If you don't want to buy an iMac, don't sit in here and try to intemidate us with your "I'm getting a Dell" and "U R A TRU IDOT! LOSR!" talk. I don't care what you do, just don't bother us!</STRONG>
DAMN STRAIGHT!
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

niji
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 01:33 AM

the cost hike is simply excellent marketing.

launch the product.
if there is only luke warm reaction, you need to keep the launched price.
if there is great reaction, raise the price.

marketing is not selling. marketing is using as little money as possible to promote and maximize sales.

the pc industry is in bind now, where there are fewer and fewer reasons to purchase one brand over another. sony and apple are virtually the only branded home computer companies which can effectively market their products. these two companies have a brand. dell as a brand?? compaq as a brand?? no. totally price sensitive.

apple will use the money to show more profitability and be able to get the stock price up, which is needed. if they dont, apple may not be around for much longer, guys.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Mar 31, 2002, 06:51 AM

The morons who think the iMac G4 or any G4 can touch a 2Ghz + x86 are living in a cuckoo land where people are spoonfed stories from other fanatic cuckoos.

I have a G4 iMac. I have the Powerbook G4. I have had a Dual G4 1Ghz. None of these systems can touch the fastest Athlon/PIV systems at the most common applications including Photoshop or Quake III. Geat real and do some tests yourself. It doesn't take that much work if you have systems available to you.

G4 800 = 2.5 Ghz PIV? Hehehe, I have to drop to 800x600 on my iMac just to get Return to Castle Wolfenstein to run at a decent frame rate. My old Athlon 1.4 with the same graphics card was twice as fast.

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 1, 2002, 04:07 PM

Originally posted by TNproud2b:
<STRONG>I'll take the P4 @ 2.5GHz

It's three times faster than the G4 at everything except RC5...which I have no interest in.</STRONG>
Not really - It isn't 2x as fast as even a P4/ 1.25 Ghz. Clock speed is not a good indicator of performance. If it were, the P4 wouldn't get SPANKED HARD by the AthlonXP at 1.5ghz (or whatever it is).

As for me, I'm loving my new iMac. It may not be the fastest thing on the planet, but it JUST FREAKIN' WORKS!!!!

-Matt

mbryda
Senior User
Apr 1, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by KellyHogan:
<STRONG>I have a G4 iMac. I have the Powerbook G4. I have had a Dual G4 1Ghz. None of these systems can touch the fastest Athlon/PIV systems at the most common applications including Photoshop or Quake III. Geat real and do some tests yourself. It doesn't take that much work if you have systems available to you.</STRONG>
Funny, over at www.barefeets.com, the Dual G4/1000 is very close to the Athlon/P4 systems...

Personally, I fing the new iMac...
About as fast as my Duron700 at home
About as fast as this P3/1.2Ghz IBM laptop
More stable than either
Much better as a user experience....

-Matt

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Apr 1, 2002, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by mbryda:
<STRONG>

Funny, over at www.barefeets.com, the Dual G4/1000 is very close to the Athlon/P4 systems...

Personally, I fing the new iMac...
About as fast as my Duron700 at home
About as fast as this P3/1.2Ghz IBM laptop
More stable than either
Much better as a user experience....

-Matt</STRONG>
Yes, the latest Dual G4 is quite fast but then the price is...but we're talking about the iMac here. I also find it about as fast as a 1Ghz x86 in most apps which is where it should be. The user experience is very nice when my iMac is working! An engineer should fix my Mac tomorrow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules