Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Lotus Web Mail on Mac

Lotus Web Mail on Mac
Mac-Guy
Mar 13, 2002, 09:19 AM

Folks,
[I posted this in Internet software but got no bites.]

If I can't resolve this one, I have to give up my Mac.
We use PCs in the office, and our mail is served by Lotus, with Lotus Notes (v. 5.06) as our client. It's set up so we can also retrieve mail remotely via the Web. However, whenever I try to access that mail server at home with my Mac, I get an error saying I have the incorrect version of Java.

I'm using OS 9.04 with IE5. But I've also tried Opera, Mozilla, and Netscape, which don't return the error message; the page just churns away without loading.

Our sysadmin REALLY hates Macs, so trying to resolve this through him is a dead issue. If I can't get my mail remotely (as I often need to) I'll have to get a PC at home.

Otis Day?? He loves us!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Mac-Guy:
<STRONG>Folks,

We use PCs in the office, and our mail is served by Lotus, with Lotus Notes (v. 5.06) as our client. It's set up so we can also retrieve mail remotely via the Web. However, whenever I try to access that mail server at home with my Mac, I get an error saying I have the incorrect version of Java.

I'm using OS 9.04 with IE5. But I've also tried Opera, Mozilla, and Netscape, which don't return the error message; the page just churns away without loading.

Our sysadmin REALLY hates Macs, so trying to resolve this through him is a dead issue. If I can't get my mail remotely (as I often need to) I'll have to get a PC at home.

</STRONG>
Here at my work, we use notes but the web mail part isn't enabled. Trying to resolve that is a dead issue for me-

There was a Notes client v.4 that worked on classic MacOS and worked even though everyone around me is using r5. Just don't try and force a template for r5 onto it.

Or, if you get around to using OS X, you could get the RNext beta from notes.net.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

JASnyder
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2002, 10:39 AM

go to www.notes.net (it's where Notes people hang out online) and navigate to the Notes Gold forum. You can search existing messages to see if anyone else has encountered this. If not it's easy to register and post your own message. Good luck.

Mac-Guy  (op)
Mar 13, 2002, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by JASnyder:
<STRONG>go to www.notes.net (it's where Notes people hang out online) and navigate to the Notes Gold forum. You can search existing messages to see if anyone else has encountered this. If not it's easy to register and post your own message. Good luck.</STRONG>

Thanks. I'll give it a shot.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

<Osakans>
Mar 13, 2002, 06:49 PM

In my office, we use iNotes -- I can't access it through Internet Explorer, but Netscape Communicator displays a reduced-functionality version of the same interface (it's WebMail rather than iNotes).

If this is a critical application for you, why not just get SoftWindows or Virtual PC? There are a ton of PC-only browser-based applications that _should_ work on the Mac, but don't; SoftWindows and Virtual PC handle pretty much all of these applications by running Windows IE in emulation.

Originally posted by Mac-Guy:
<STRONG>Folks,

</STRONG>

hamiltondj
Forum Regular
Mar 15, 2002, 11:19 AM

Hi.

I am able to access notes webmail.
I use OS X and IE (for OS X)

FYI

Mac-Guy  (op)
Mar 15, 2002, 11:31 AM

I've posted this question to the Notes.net forum, the Apple forum, this forum, and several usenet groups with no help. Looks like I might be sunk. Rats.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

Danny Ricci
Mar 23, 2002, 07:28 AM

Try upgrading your java files. See www.apple.com/java. Or, upgrade from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2. 9.0.4 is ancient history. Even better, upgrade to OS X. One of the above posters said it worked fine in OS X.

Mac-Guy  (op)
Mar 23, 2002, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Danny Ricci:
<STRONG>Try upgrading your java files. See www.apple.com/java. Or, upgrade from 9.0.4 to 9.2.2. 9.0.4 is ancient history. Even better, upgrade to OS X. One of the above posters said it worked fine in OS X.</STRONG>
Trouble is, I'm using a PowerComputing clone with a Sonnet 375 G3 card, so OS X is out of the question. And anything past 9.04 is unstable on this system; I tried 9.1 and had numerous Finder errors. I did upgrade my Java too, which didn't help.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

Forum Links
Forum Rules