Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > AIM on the Mac....no file sharing???

AIM on the Mac....no file sharing???
shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2002, 10:21 AM

I am entering my 2nd week with my brand new PowerBook and first foray into that Mac since the Apple IIe.

On Windows I came to rely heavy on the File Transfer features that AIM has, whether it be sending people files are getting them myself. Now I see the option in AIM for me to SEND files to someone (Send a file or folder...) but I DO NOT see how to GET a file from someone without telling them to send it. This is a huge problem b/c it basically ruins the main feature of AIM that made me use it.

Now, I'm sure the setting is hidden somewhere in this program but I just need a Mac expert to point it out to my just converted eyes.

Also any help on how to start a talk connection would be great

Thanks in advance.

poocat
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2002, 07:58 AM

hey.

for me, (running 4.3.1221212 or whatever's current of aim) i go to "people", "transfer files" and then there's three options... "send file", "send folder", and "get file". further up the "people" menu there's also a "talk" option...

glad you're mac. hope it's not too rough (i know what it's like for me trying to find things on win boxes)

feel free to ask us anything.

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

shadybirdstan  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 31, 2002, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by poocat:
<STRONG>hey.

for me, (running 4.3.1221212 or whatever's current of aim) i go to "people", "transfer files" and then there's three options... "send file", "send folder", and "get file". further up the "people" menu there's also a "talk" option...

glad you're mac. hope it's not too rough (i know what it's like for me trying to find things on win boxes)

feel free to ask us anything.

poocat.</STRONG>
I'm on 4.5.494

xyber233
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 10:58 AM

Well in the preferences section, there is an option for accepting all files. I've never tried poocat's way yet.

poocat
Mac Elite
Feb 1, 2002, 11:58 AM

ah.

my bad. didn't realize in my earlier post that you were using osx.
the aim for osx is still lacking some features, although, having just scoped aol's site,
it seems that there is file sharing in there somewhere...
(not having it on hand cause i'm still in os9 i can't play w/ it and tell you... sorry)

best of luck.
but it's _definitely_ in os9 so it should be there in osx... or soon, anyway.

pcat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

superlarry
Senior User
Feb 2, 2002, 11:23 AM

i'm using OSX aim. file transfer works fine for me. check your "Preferences" in the "AIM" menu, and in the "File Transfer" tab, select "Ask" or "Allow All," depending whether or not you want to confirm the download each time. Yours might be set to block incoming file transfers.

Danny Ricci
Feb 4, 2002, 04:10 AM

Just FYI.. the OS X AIM is a regular Carbon app. You can download it and install and run it on Mac OS 9.. I did for a few days before I made the complete switch to OS X.

superlarry
Senior User
Feb 4, 2002, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by Danny Ricci:
<STRONG>Just FYI.. the OS X AIM is a regular Carbon app. You can download it and install and run it on Mac OS 9.. I did for a few days before I made the complete switch to OS X.</STRONG>
true.. but you lose features and gain lots of nice bugs. stick with 4.3.1232 for OS9.

Forum Links
Forum Rules