Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ALL mac users use NETSCAPE!!!

ALL mac users use NETSCAPE!!!
clubmedia.com
Banned
Apr 13, 2002, 12:11 AM

do you use netscape? if you do is it version 4.7? i am just trying to see what mac users prefer... i am with ms internet explorer 5. what are you?

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 12:14 AM

I am on IE but I think most mac users use Netscape

Shekwan
Apr 13, 2002, 12:27 AM

According to MacEdition's CodeBitch, most mac users use IE.

clubmedia.com  (op)
Banned
Apr 13, 2002, 12:54 AM

nice post! what about the rest of you guys

mindwaves
Apr 13, 2002, 01:10 AM

I use IE 5. I have tried some others, but IE 5 despite all of its bugs is still the best, but I do use iCab on ocassion.

TiG4
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2002, 01:22 AM

Hi ya'll,

I mainly use IE although at times I'd use Omniweb, Netscape and iCab.
Gil
- It's not a sin to dance at a wedding -

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2002, 01:54 AM

in os 9, it's IE 5 all the way.
in os X, it is both OmniWeb and Mozill .99, whichever I feel like using.

VRL
Senior User
Apr 13, 2002, 02:56 AM

OS X: iCab

Other systems: Netscape
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

<CodeBitch>
Apr 13, 2002, 08:12 AM

Hi, thanks for the ref.

Note that the statistics cited in my article include PC users. It's relatively easy to split the IE5.x users into Mac and Windows, but splitting the Netscape users into Mac/Windows/Unix/Linux is way too tedious as there are too many browser tags to track. Also, MacEdition gets mainly a "pro Mac user" readership, who are more likely to have newer hardware and browsers, so it might not be representative of other Mac sites' readership, or Mac users in general. That said, it seems pretty evident that Mac users are more likely to use Netscape 4 than Windows users are, and Windows users are more likely to be stuck on IE4.x than Mac users. Netscape 5/Mozilla is now more important in our readership than Netscape 4, and IE6 is almost as important as IE5/Windows. (This lines up with what I'm hearing from non-Mac-oriented sites.)

The only statistics that matter are the ones for the site you are developing for. I would love to get hold of results for other sites, Mac-oriented or otherwise. There's an Analog config file linked from the article.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have about log analysis for browser usage.

-- CodeBitch http://www.macedition.com/

willed
Professional Poster
Apr 13, 2002, 08:55 AM

IE5 is still the only viable browser for X - OmniWeb is a Beta, Mozilla is only version 0.9 and you have to pay for iCab (don't you?). Not much choice yet...

Justin W. Williams
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 09:23 AM

IE5 under OSX, although I keep trying to convert myself to Mozilla or Omniweb. I just can't though. They are nowhere near as good.
Justin Williams
Chicks Really Dig Me
AIM - iTikki [NEW AND IMPROVED!]
http://www.tikkirulz.com

poocat
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 09:28 AM

ICAB IS FREE.

icab rules.
icab is written by crazy germans.
i love icab.

(i'm in os9... use icab about 95% and ie5 about 5%... tried mozilla but it's slower than icab and clunkier than ie5...)

poocat.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Shekwan
Apr 13, 2002, 10:45 AM

IE5 is still the only viable browser for X
What about Chimera ? Chimera 0.2 is ready No kiddin' ?

BTW, Hello CodeBitch, your columns are great !

[ 04-13-2002: Message edited by: Shekwan ]

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2002, 11:24 AM

In OS X, I mostly use iCab. I'd break it down like this--

iCab &gt; 95%.

Either IE 5 or Netscape 4.79 for what few pages iCab doesn't work with (my bank) &lt; 5%

Omniweb, Mozilla 1-2% mainly playing around with. I like them both, but Omniweb CRAWLS when either SETI or RC% is running, and I can't convert my iCab bookmarks in either, and I'm lazy. I like tabbed browsing in Mozilla 0.99, and should probably use it more, instead of IE 5 or NN 4.7, but again, I'm lazy.

Opera-- don't use it.

Netscape 6 F**king awful. Hate it.

Chimera-- downloaded it to play with it, and I think it's got more promise t han anything out there for the future, but it's WAY early. Maybe next year?

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

iboy
Apr 13, 2002, 11:58 AM

I use Omniweb and IE...

Netscape is soooooooo ugly to look at... (boxes, windows and everything)

:-(((((
Al 15" Powerbook 1.67GHz / 1GB RAM / 64MB VRAM / Superdrive

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2002, 01:31 PM

In OS X, I mainly use Internet Explorer 5 as a primary browser and Omniweb as my secondary.

Internet Explorer 5 is still extremely buggy... it hangs left and right on web pages, but it is still one of the best balances in Mac OS X of speed and actual usability.

Omniweb needs a major overhaul, though its definitely improving. Its rendering engine is still sub-par and it is still relatively sluggish.

However, I've discovered Chimera 0.2... a cocoa implementation to Fizzilla (Mozilla for Mac OS X) It is in no way near completion; its missing basically all plugin support and missing key things like the ability to download files, but for straight up browsing, it is INCREDIBLY fast.

Chimera 0.2 won't become my primary browser any time soon, but I urge you all to give it a try. It really excites me about the potential of Gecko and Mac OS X.

<anonymous>
Apr 13, 2002, 05:42 PM

With only 16MB of RAM, no contest, iCab gets it done.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2002, 06:20 PM

I was a die hard netscape user for a long long time, but about a year ago, I switched to IE 5, and haven't gone back. I do use icab some,but not enough to really matter. I do miss netscapes mail function. I liked it much better than OE, which I think is crap.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 13, 2002, 06:57 PM

I think in 9, after the release of IE 5 most mac users use it.

In X I see a wide variety, I myself still use IE there also...

I believe Netscape is no longer very popular on the mac...

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2002, 07:21 PM

IE for OS X is awful. I use Mozilla/Omniweb about 90/10% respectively.

I've tried iCab and it sucked. Opera was boring. And I downloaded Chimera/Navigator the other day and it shows the greatest promise out of all of them.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 13, 2002, 08:36 PM

MOZILLA!! What is wrong with you people?
It's all I've been using for MONTHS. 1.0 release candidate 1 is available, and it rocks!

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 13, 2002, 08:51 PM

Mozilla all the way

clubmedia.com  (op)
Banned
Apr 14, 2002, 04:38 AM

i need to try mozilla!!!

Danny Ricci
Apr 14, 2002, 07:31 AM

The Gecko rules! I use Mozilla now, and by far I consider it the best. And if you think it's ugly, well then, theme it! I'd rather use a nice standards complient browser like Mozilla than a candy coated mind control browser from the planet Monopolysoft.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2002, 09:41 AM

Originally posted by Danny Ricci:
<STRONG>The Gecko rules! I use Mozilla now, and by far I consider it the best. And if you think it's ugly, well then, theme it! I'd rather use a nice standards complient browser like Mozilla than a candy coated mind control browser from the planet Monopolysoft.</STRONG>
Bingo... and if OmniWeb used Gecko, I would endorse OmniWeb, but until then...

DocWest
Senior User
Apr 14, 2002, 12:20 PM

I use iCab for 99% of stuff.
IE5 for whatever doesnt work properly with it.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2002, 01:25 PM

I'm in OS X 99.999% of the time. While in X, it's either OmniWeb, Mozilla or iCab. Netscape for OS X sucks (but so does IE for OS X).
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Adam E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2002, 11:19 PM

I've been playing with OS X browsers since september and am still frustrated because no browser has all the features I want.
Complaints:
IE: can't stop popups, no tabbed browsing, no anti-aliasing
Mozilla: no anti-aliasing, slow text input, slow button reaction
OmniWeb: no tabbed browsing, occasionally chokes on pages, slower rendering
Chimera: not complete enough

Right now I'm back in OmniWeb PB2 after a long stint in Mozilla. Previous to that it was all IE. Chimera shows a lot of promise, but by the time it's ready 10.2 will bring anti-aliasing to all carbon apps and Omniweb will probably be faster.

I'm running an iMac 500 mhz w/ 384 megs of ram. When will we see a fast rendering cocoa browser with tabs and no popups? OmniWeb 5.0? The next IE? Chimera?
I'm Course VI

AliP
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 03:27 AM

Weird that different folk have so many differing interpretations of web browser performance.
I started of with IE when i moved to osx but then got hold of netscape 6.2 and found it much faster and stable!
Tried Opera and found it very flaky and omni just crashed and burned on me twice so i binned it.
Is Mozzila 1 available then?
KRO
Ali P

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 16, 2002, 04:59 AM

Mozilla 1.0 not really available.. Moving in that direction. If you have tried Netscape, then you have used Mozilla, only old, arthritic Mozilla. Go get a fresh download, you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2002, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by willed:
<STRONG>IE5 is still the only viable browser for X - OmniWeb is a Beta, Mozilla is only version 0.9 and you have to pay for iCab (don't you?). Not much choice yet...</STRONG>
Like IE5 is not a beta...and a *bad* beta, at that...

i find OmniWeb (the latest beta and the previous sneakypeek releases) as fast as IE5, *far* more stable, and *much* more comfortable. It also renders web pages the most nicely (except for some CCS stuff).

Way big plus:
Ad-blocking, dead-easy killing of unwanted pop-up windows (I haven't had an unwanted pop-up window in OmniWeb in over a *year*) - I'm totally floored every time I'm forced to use IE on somebody else's machine at how much *crap* you have to deal with that I never even *see*.

And you can use it for free, too.

I used iCab a while ago and didn't like the interface, plus it was pretty unstable. Mozilla needs to get interface hell sorted out before I'm touching it.

BTW, AFAIK those usage statistics don't mean **** . Most users of alternative browsers have their ID string set to "Internet Explorer" or "Netscape", simply because a bunch of sites (bastards) refuse to load with anything else - even though they will work just fine. These users show up as using NS or IE, even though they're not.

-spheric*

Cipher13
Apr 16, 2002, 05:57 AM

IE5 in OS9.
IE5 in OSX, sometimes OW.

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 08:23 AM

Netscape is just too damn slow. I use both IE and OmniWeb.
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

xyber233
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2002, 10:04 AM

IE 5. I hate Netscape. The interface is bad and I find it annoying to use.

MikeMarco14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2002, 02:51 PM

IE 5, both OS 9 and X. I like Mozilla and all, but IE seems to succeed at accessing more pages than Mozilla. (This is not because of actual technical differences, but because some people have the nerve to block Mozilla/Netscape 6 from accessing their sites. Idiots.) And IE feels faster on my machine, but that could just be me.

OmniWeb breaks too many pages that require CSS layout, and being a Web designer, this is unnerving to me. (It's pretty, though.) Opera renders fonts too small - and zoom just makes pages look weird - but is otherwise ok. (The PC version rocks my socks. I use Opera almost exclusively on Wintel machines, except if a site complains that I'm not using IE.) As for iCab, it's definitely getting there, but I can't see myself using it on a daily basis just yet. But I'm definitely glad that there are viable alternatives out there!

Haven't tried Chimera yet. When I get access to a working Mac with OS X (mine died, long story), I shall give it a try.

<anon>
Apr 18, 2002, 11:53 AM

Is there a program or method for maintaining a single bookmark/favorites file? It would be nice to use IE only when necessary, but it gets annoying to have unsynchronized bookmark files. They all seem to be html based, so conversion shouldn't be that hard.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2002, 12:13 PM

Like several people have Said IE is still the most compliant one so far. I like Mozilla and I think Cimera has promise. I also like Opera and iCab Never used Omni yet though.

Netscape SUCKS!!!!! I also HATE being forced to sign up for Netscape mail. Don't need or want it. Grrrr Damn AOHELL.

don't use 4.7.x at all I'm trying to stay away from Classic at ALL Costs.

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: typoon ]
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

raferx
Senior User
Apr 18, 2002, 01:42 PM

For Personal... IE 5.1.4, OmniWeb, and iCab... I use NS 4.77 to check and de-bug sites though.
Cheers,
raferx

bojangles
Senior User
Apr 18, 2002, 01:51 PM

Definitely IE5.1. Definitely. Definitely.

Anyway, as a web developer, I have to create sites that can work in all browsers. Netscape 6 is the only one that just cannot seem to get along with the others. Netscape 4.7x is fine for downloading QuickTime movies into the cache folder, but 6 is really annoying.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.”
—Abraham Lincoln

KidRed
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2002, 02:19 PM

What's Netscape?
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2002, 03:46 PM

I switched to IE long times ago, because Netscape always load the same web page twice !!!

[ 04-18-2002: Message edited by: MacMonster ]

Michael A
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by &lt;anon&gt;:
<STRONG>Is there a program or method for maintaining a single bookmark/favorites file?</STRONG>
The Favorites / Bookmarks files of IE and NS are interchangeable. Just change the creator in a file type changing app, such as File Type or File Transmogrifier. IE is MSIE and NS is MOSS. Then delete the toolbar folder that doesn't belong. In IE, the right one is Toolbar Favourites, so delete Personal Toolbar Folder. In NS, vice versa.

I use IE most of the time, Netscape for pages that IE can't handle. I've tried iCab and Opera, but they didn't seem to offer anything better than the other two, and did quite a few things worse.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 20, 2002, 11:26 PM

Omniweb all the way. If I get a page that docent' work (not often) I will use IE.

in 9 I used to be a die hard Netscape users.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Apr 21, 2002, 02:15 AM

Could never get used to IE, so I stuck with Netscape. Jumped to Netscape 6.2 awhile back which wasn't too horrible of an experience. Two weeks ago, I jumped to the latest build of Mozilla and haven't looked back. I use it as my default browser at home and at work.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2002, 02:53 PM

iCab both Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X

Forum Links
Forum Rules