Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > AirPort Hack

AirPort Hack
Aqua_Geek
Jan 29, 2002, 02:18 PM

OK, my AirPort Base Station recently died. It kept power cycling. Anyway... I called Apple Tech Support and they told me it was no longer under warranty, so they couldn't help me. (Gotta love them)

So, today I took it apart. It seemed to be working for a while, but then it died. I removed the chip that says "Generic 3.6V" (thinking it would reset it). That screwed it over. Now it won't even power on.

So, now I want to mod it into something. I have removed the Lucent 802.11B card and the modem. The board is shot, so I want to turn the case into something.

I'm planning on using 99% isopropyl alcohol to remove the interior paint on the case.

So, what should I turn it into??

Tyler
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

jed
Jan 30, 2002, 11:40 AM

a Skittles Dispenser.

aladdinsane
Forum Regular
Feb 2, 2002, 06:50 AM

Remember it is wall mountable. Maybe you could turn it into a doorbell or a flowerpot. Unfortunately it is too small to fit envelopes.

my 2 cents

Dogma
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2002, 08:55 AM

Take apart an iBook and try and fit it inside. Plonk on top a 7" LCD display and you'll have a new PS1 Luxo iMac! (well, it's a challenge.)

Or if you want to be reasonable, how about the coolest tissue dispenser in the world, a table cigarette lighter, or possibly float it.

Yes, you can indeed float anything as long as it has a consistent centre of gravity and is light enough. It's all magnets and stuff and looks bloody impressive. You could really make it into a UFO and would make a great centre oiece to any dinner party...

...er, or you could put it inside an iMaquarium as a cool fish toy, or take apart one of those wall clocks and bung that in.

I would like to see the mini iMac, but I doubt anyone could work it. You wouldn't need to worry about the CD-ROM, just a Hard Drive, with one of the Toshiba tiny teeny iPod ones, and the battery would be moot as well. As if.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2002, 09:25 AM

I'd just do the most common usage for it, stick a DSL or cable modem inside it.

Is it a snow or a graphite UFO? Why don't you stick little lights on it, and float it that way
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Danny Ricci
Feb 3, 2002, 08:57 PM

Smoke Detector!

Aqua_Geek  (op)
Feb 14, 2002, 06:14 PM

OK, I replaced the two shot capacitors yesterday. It still doesn't turn on. I pulled the little "Generic 3.6V" chip out of it (when it was still busted). I'm assuming that's what screwed it over. Can I get this chip replaced? Can I reset the base station some how? Anyone done this and got it working again?

Tyler
When birds fly in the right formation, they need only exert half the effort. Even in nature, teamwork results in collective laziness.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2002, 03:13 PM

They took mine back that kept power cycling and it was well out of warrantee. They took it back like 2 months ago. There's a trade in program for a certain group of base stations within a certain serial number range that "exhibit certain symptoms." They whole process took 5 minutes to set up on the phone.

Aqua_Geek  (op)
Feb 16, 2002, 02:48 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
<STRONG>They took mine back that kept power cycling and it was well out of warrantee. They took it back like 2 months ago. There's a trade in program for a certain group of base stations within a certain serial number range that "exhibit certain symptoms." They whole process took 5 minutes to set up on the phone.</STRONG>
This would probably have worked, but I HAVE OPENED THE CASE AND HAVE DONE A LOT WITH IT!

I have made the case completely transparent (which looks really cool).

I have also de-soldered 2 capacitors and replaced them. To make the new ones fit, I had to drill a hole above them in the shield.

I really don't think they'll believe me when I tell them that I haven't opened it

Tyler

Forum Links
Forum Rules