Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > New ipod to have color screen to play movies!

New ipod to have color screen to play movies!
pup-daddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 01:45 AM

While this only speculation I really think that when apple updates the ipod it will have a larger color screen and a 10 gig hard drive to play music and movies from itunes and imovie.

This just seems like the next logical step to take advantage of apple's great software.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 02:28 AM

That would be really awesome. A new iPod with a larger, color screen to play movies off of, a 10 GB drive, all for $399! Hopefully, but something that nice would probably cost more.

I'm more excited about the prices of the original iPod 5 GB's dropping to $299 or lower!

Danny Ricci
Mar 5, 2002, 01:32 PM

I'm waiting for new 10 Gig iPods to come out so I can get a price drop, too. I only have 1.5 gigs of music so 5 gig will be plenty of space for me..

As for the color screen - Don't count on it. Apple is not making PDAs... Why would you want to watch entire movies on a 2 inch screen? It'd kill your eyes!

Camelot
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2002, 01:59 PM

A color screen would suck battery power big time.

For the amount of time you actually LOOK at the iPod screen (essentially, when choosing songs to play) vs. the amount of time the chosen songlist is playing, coupled with the level of information seen on the screen (artist/song titles) the addition of color doesn't seem like a priority to me. I guess I could color-code the songs into genres. woohoo.

I'm not saying it won't have one (I have no idea one way or the other), just that there are aren't many advantages to having one unless there's some new functionality that benefits from color.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 04:21 PM

Honestly.. i wonder if people who make these suggestions even have a brain.. and they actually use the phrases like .."it would be the next logical step, or it makes sense...". Jeeze! Did u even think about it, did u just want to start a thread?

keston
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2002, 04:24 PM

this aint the year 2040, and we dont have ships names enterprise either...and the last time i check, our gadgets wasn't powerd by dilithium crystals with endless power. just lettin u know...

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: keston ]

Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Mar 5, 2002, 07:26 PM

Who will want to watch movies on a 2.5" screen? What movies will be there to watch?

I say "No way!" to this rumor.
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

pup-daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2002, 11:27 PM

Yes I do think a "larger" color screen would be the next logical step of the ipod (besides having a larger HD of course). The ability to play music from itunes and videos created and/or edited in imovie would make the ipod a complete mobile entertainment player.

While I do realize that the current economic environment and manufacturing costs would make it too expensive right now I would not be surprised to see the current ipod model be reduced in priced before Macworld Jan. 2003 and a new model released at its current price.

While the maket is flooded Palm OS PDA's and M$ pocket PC's I really think Apple would have a profitable niche market to themselves by having the only mobile enternment player that fits in your pocket.

torifile
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2002, 01:43 AM

Why oh why does this stupid rumor (pipe dream is more accurate) keep coming up? I used my iPod for a total of about 4 hours today. Do you know how long I actually looked at the screen? About 20 seconds. What a waste of good technology if this happened. You can't use something portable that is pictorial at the same time. If it should go in your pocket, you shouldn't be watching movies on it. I never understood the draw that some people feel to having a little itsy-bitsy screen to watch movies on and I think that most of the public feels the same way. Stupid idea and it just needs to go away.

Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2002, 02:23 AM

Next revision of the iPod will:

- wash, dry and fold socks (underwear will come in rev3)

- beam images of Steve Jobs into the brains of you and your neighbors while you sleep

- provide eternal salvation

All kidding aside, it seems silly for Apple to make a color screen iPod. Only advantage I can see are color bricks in the Breakout game.

pup-daddy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2002, 02:04 AM

Torifile,

The only thing worse then an elitist board member complaining about a thread is that he/she still posted a reply to it and did not even bother to read it carefully enough to see the references that the screen of a possible future ipod would be "larger" as well as in color.

I'm a new to this board so if this topic has been beaten to death and it bores you get over it since its new to me :-D

I agree that a small color screen that is the same size of the current ipod would be rather lame. If technology in the next couple of years could bring a larger color screen, larger HD, and more functions to the ipod for the $399 I think they would be great additions to an already great product..

vsurfer
Senior User
Mar 20, 2002, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by pup-daddy:
<STRONG>Torifile,

The only thing worse then an elitist board member complaining about a thread is that he/she still posted a reply to it and did not even bother to read it carefully enough to see the references that the screen of a possible future ipod would be "larger" as well as in color.

I'm a new to this board so if this topic has been beaten to death and it bores you get over it since its new to me :-D
and more functions to the ipod for the $399 I think they would be great additions to an already great product..</STRONG>
Nothing wrong with a bit of "vision" Pup-Dad. I remember folk 30 years ago saying ordinary people had no need for computers for all they were good for was crunching numbers. So we may not have dilithium crystals next year, but we didn't have anything 10 years ago that could hold a candle to the miniature technological marvels of today like the Treo and color PDA's. Well, except for the ahead of its time Newton.

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2002, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<STRONG>Who will want to watch movies on a 2.5" screen? What movies will be there to watch?

I say "No way!" to this rumor.</STRONG>
Errr, sadly all the kids out there playing video games on the gameboy advance ????
Just because an LCD is colour doesnt mean that it has to be backlit.

Oh, and I think its a silly idea too, but thats not the point.

Ben.

Forum Links
Forum Rules