Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Next beta of Palm Desktop, when?

Next beta of Palm Desktop, when?
DominikHoffmann
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2002, 02:10 PM

Are there any rumors about when the next beta of Palm Desktop will come out? I really need a fix, because, after ceasing to sync, Palm Desktop won't open my data file anymore.

Dominik

JDGMACMAN
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2002, 06:58 PM

This is a well known problem. Re-install is the only fix I could find.

JOHN

FXWizard
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 03:47 PM

I've tried the beta on my iBook and had no end of problems.

I'm just going to run Palm Desktop and AvantGo in Classic until final OS X software is released.

<silverlaker>
Feb 19, 2002, 04:33 PM

The problem I've run into after the disastrous OS X Beta of Palm Desktop is that even after trashing it, and reinstalling Desktop 2.6.3 for OS 9.2.2 I'm not able to hot sync that way either.

So I'm truly upset with this - and Apple's pronouncements of how 'wonderful' this is for us OS X users is another marketing con.
... not unlike how 'easy' it is to print under OS X...

DominikHoffmann  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 19, 2002, 11:13 PM

At MacFixIt (registration required) there is a tip that helped me access my data file again:
Data Loss? A reader writes: "Sometimes when I quit and reopen Palm Desktop 4, it doesn't reopen my data file. It also doesn't open it if I double-click it or open in from within the application. It seems that the file gets corrupt. I found a work-around by making a new file and merging it with my old data file. I can then save the new file and delete the corrupted one without losing all my appointments." Adam Sheck confirms this.
Also, after reinstalling the software (b77), I was able to hotsync again. We'll see how long it lasts.

Danny Ricci
Feb 20, 2002, 01:12 AM

Originally posted by DominikHoffmann:
<STRONG>Are there any rumors about when the next beta of Palm Desktop will come out?</STRONG>
With the way they've reasured us at the MacWorld keynote and the delivery system and quality of their OS X beta, I'd have to guess around March or April.. 2004.

<ROGER B>
Feb 23, 2002, 08:00 PM

Originally posted by &lt;silverlaker&gt;:
<STRONG>The problem I've run into after the disastrous OS X Beta of Palm Desktop is that even after trashing it, and reinstalling Desktop 2.6.3 for OS 9.2.2 I'm not able to hot sync that way either.

So I'm truly upset with this - and Apple's pronouncements of how 'wonderful' this is for us OS X users is another marketing con.
... not unlike how 'easy' it is to print under OS X...</STRONG>
i have the same problem, does anyone know how i can get desktop 2.6 to work again?

Robe
Forum Regular
Feb 23, 2002, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by &lt;ROGER B&gt;:
<STRONG>

i have the same problem, does anyone know how i can get desktop 2.6 to work again?</STRONG>
Does synching work with the computer booted into 9 and NOT work in Classic? That is the problem I had. I found a file called (I think)

HotSyncClassicseize.kext - it is something like this; anyway, I trashed this file and now can Sync in classic - - FINALLY!!!!

Robe

MacBiXo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2002, 06:10 AM

I missing data user with b77 - G4 466

The momentaneous solution? Delete data user and sync Palm
iBook@800
Airport

<shyland101>
Feb 27, 2002, 06:46 PM

Originally posted by DominikHoffmann:
<STRONG>Are there any rumors about when the next beta of Palm Desktop will come out? I really need a fix, because, after ceasing to sync, Palm Desktop won't open my data file anymore.

Dominik</STRONG>
If you get rid of a Palm-inflicted, I mean, Palm-installed login item, your sync and palm desktop problem will go away. First, open up System Preferences, then go to the Login preferences. In the Login Items tab you'll find two Palm applications - one called Transport Monitor and some other one with a Palm icon. Sorry I dont know the name of the other one but that's the troublesome one - click on this one and remove it, then restart.

You'll probably have to move your user data file, trash your old Palm folder, create a new user and use merge to reimport the old data. You should be fine after that - I've had no problems since.

It appears this application causes the problem by marking your user data file as "in use".

Hope this helps - my blood pressure's gone done lately.

GatoVolador
Mar 4, 2002, 05:31 PM

i just want to be able to use third party conduits! i know this is partly palm's job and partly the third parties', but right now palm is the roadblock.

i want my AvantGo back and Wordsmith file sync'ing!

MacBiXo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2002, 04:55 AM

shyland101:

I deleted the "transport monitor" in System Prefs, and do not sync.
Thank's for your idea, but the problem with user data don't is this
iBook@800
Airport

JoshFofer
Mar 8, 2002, 02:14 AM

Originally posted by MacBiXo:
<STRONG>shyland101:

I deleted the "transport monitor" in System Prefs, and do not sync.
Thank's for your idea, but the problem with user data don't is this</STRONG>
MacBiXo:

NOT "transport monitor!" Read shyland101's post again. It's the OTHER file, NOT transport monitor!

Forum Links
Forum Rules