Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Those damn traitors!

Those damn traitors!
Jansar
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2002, 01:33 PM

Tux Racer 1.0 has finally made it to the gaming world. The demo was fantastic, and of course, free. Although you have to pay for it now, there's still one major problem.

They've made it for every OS except for the Mac!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Danny Ricci
Feb 14, 2002, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>Tux Racer 1.0 has finally made it to the gaming world. The demo was fantastic, and of course, free. Although you have to pay for it now, there's still one major problem.

They've made it for every OS except for the Mac!

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!</STRONG>

Yup, they are huge traitors to the entire open source community. I suggest NO ONE supports them. If you like the game, support the open source group that's continuing support on it. OpenRacer I believe?

Guy Incognito
Banned
Feb 14, 2002, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Danny Ricci:
<STRONG>

Yup, they are huge traitors to the entire open source community. I suggest NO ONE supports them. If you like the game, support the open source group that's continuing support on it. OpenRacer I believe?</STRONG>
I remember an early version being available for MacOS X...in fact, I remember playing it.

Jansar  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2002, 06:04 PM

Originally posted by Guy Incognito:
<STRONG>

I remember an early version being available for MacOS X...in fact, I remember playing it.</STRONG>
I'm referring to the version that just came out less than a week ago, the version everybody has been waiting for.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Feb 14, 2002, 06:49 PM

<STRONG>Yup, they are huge traitors to the entire open source community. I suggest NO ONE supports them. If you like the game, support the open source group that's continuing support on it. OpenRacer I believe?</STRONG>
How dare they charge money for their work! Those bastards!

Brad
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2002, 05:50 PM

I just got this e-mail.

The OS X port was not done by us. We're currently evaluating an OS X version, but it will greatly depend on demand.

Cheers,
Mark

At 01:36 PM 18/02/2002, you wrote:
&gt;Hi,
&gt; Any chance of an OS X version you had a OS X beta why no final?
&gt;
&gt;Thanks Edd

------
Mark Riddell [email protected]
Sunspire Studios (519) 653-8907

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 18, 2002, 06:56 PM

Car racing?

<Sean2068884>
Feb 19, 2002, 07:18 PM

This is kind of good news. If the game is being released as Open Source then maybe some talented genious will port it to OS 10.

And then itll be FREE.

Heres to hoping.

Danny Ricci
Feb 22, 2002, 12:25 AM

Um.. Tux Racer was an open source project. The group that made it decided to make Tux Racer 1.0 CLOSED SOURCE. This closed source version contains source code contributed by the entire open source community. The Open Source community basically built and made Tux Racer what it is, and then this group closed sourced it and took away Mac support. This is something that gets frowned upon by the entire Open Source community, it's just wrong.

I will never buy it because 1) Moral Reasons against what they've done and 2) No Mac support.

I pay for games, but not for ones that have been ripped off from the open source community.

There is a project called OpenRacer that is continuing work on the pre-1.0 GPL source of Tux Racer. Support them if you like the game, not the company that decided to close source the project and get greedy.

And yes, there is an OS X port of Open Racer. I play it frequently.

[ 02-21-2002: Message edited by: Danny Ricci ]

Brad Oliver
Aspyr Staff
Feb 22, 2002, 02:10 AM

<STRONG>This closed source version contains source code contributed by the entire open source community.</STRONG>
You don't know that for a fact unless you've seen the closed source. It's well within reason that they ditched any outside code since those contributions to Tux Racer as a whole were either very minor or for target platforms they do not support with the commercial release. I would like to see any damning evidence you have to the contrary though. You might have a good lawsuit against Sunspire if so, or a libel suit against you if not.

Brad
Brad Oliver
bradman AT pobox DOT com

Forum Links
Forum Rules