Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Unreal Tournament 2003 for Mac?

Unreal Tournament 2003 for Mac?
SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2002, 01:59 PM

Since Aspyr is bringing some good games to the Mac (ALLIED ASSULT, GALACTIC BATTLEGROUND) thing we'll see the new Unreal? it looks amazing
check out pc.ign.com for incredible pictures

<Guy Incognito>
Mar 24, 2002, 02:41 PM

Originally posted by solidage:
<STRONG>Since Aspyr is bringing some good games to the Mac (ALLIED ASSULT, GALACTIC BATTLEGROUND) thing we'll see the new Unreal? it looks amazing
check out pc.ign.com for incredible pictures</STRONG>
Yup...and I saw a UT2003 movie that showed the physics and WOW!!! The movie showed bodies being shot down some stairs...the guy would shoot the body and the body would move from the impact of the bullet and roll down the stairs. The days of clipping errors (arms going through walls) and rigid bodies are over.

I hope Glenda starts porting this thing on her own free time.

<Guy Incognito>
Mar 24, 2002, 03:12 PM

Hmm...I apologize...that last comment was uncalled for.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2002, 05:48 PM

With graphics getting so nasty, it looks like I'll need a new machine ...but I like my Cube
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 24, 2002, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by Jansar:
<STRONG>With graphics getting so nasty, it looks like I'll need a new machine ...but I like my Cube</STRONG>
you can just put a dual 500 and a Radian 8500 (?, could have been 7500) in it.

At GDC I tried to sneak into the unreal booth to see a sneak peak of UT 2003 & U2, of course I wasn't allowed in

but they were publicly showing off the engine and man on man was it impressive. In the end two guys were rolling on the ground fighting each other and one ripped the others arm off and started beating him with it.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2002, 10:13 PM

Yeah...here's hoping that they port it....and Jedi Knight 2 as well.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2002, 10:31 PM

If Unreal 2003 is ported to Mac OS X, I'll probably end up withdrawing from school in favor of becoming a gaming recluse. Not that bad an option, come to think of it.

tyris
Forum Regular
Mar 26, 2002, 11:22 PM

Originally posted by Elvin:
<STRONG>Yeah...here's hoping that they port it....and Jedi Knight 2 as well.</STRONG>
i don't care who ports either, as long as they come out yesterday,

wANCO tHE sANE
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 27, 2002, 04:06 PM

Have you guys started to ask the publishers if they hav eany plans for porting it to the Mac? I tried myself, but I don't know where/who to ask.

I put a V-TECH sticker on my iMac DV 400 and i'm burnin' Geo Metro's left and right.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2002, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by wANCO tHE sANE:
<STRONG>Have you guys started to ask the publishers if they hav eany plans for porting it to the Mac? I tried myself, but I don't know where/who to ask.</STRONG>
I think we have to wait for the game to be finished and published first.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2002, 07:56 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>

I think we have to wait for the game to be finished and published first.</STRONG>
I don't think you have to wait for it to be finished on the PC. Once it is in a decent (late) beta state, it should be ready for porting.

And according to the following info from IMG, I would say contact MacSoft. Nothhing is official yet, but they did publish the previous Unreal titles:

"As far as a Mac version goes, nothing official has been announced yet, but Glenda Adams recently responded to a Usenet post asking about the possible timeline of a port relative to the release of the PC version:

UT2003 is a much bigger change from UT than the original UT was from Unreal. I don't know if a one month or less ship relative to the PC will be possible. Since my guess is work would start on UT2003 before it ships for the PC, it would be a closer ship than say 6 months. But whether that is a month, or 2-3, there isn't a way to know yet.

MacSoft certainly would want to ship as close to the PC version on any game.

IMG will be keeping tabs on the situation and will be sure to let readers know of any developments."

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: Leonard ]
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Danny Ricci
Mar 29, 2002, 03:27 PM

I wish they could design the app on both platforms at once. I hate waiting 6 months for apps and games.

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 29, 2002, 05:44 PM

Check out this Usenet post from Glenda Adams that sheds some light on your questions.

<Guy Incognito>
Mar 30, 2002, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by schwa:
<STRONG>Check out this Usenet post from Glenda Adams that sheds some light on your questions.</STRONG>
The more correct formula to find out when the a game's gonna ship is this one:

((Developer's Estimated Ship Date [in remaining days]) * 1.5) +/- 30 days

3-4 months? So we'll take the worse case scenario and take 4 months. That's 120 days times 1.5. That's 180 days + or - 30 days. Could take anywhere between 5-7 months.

There's an alternate formula for certain other developers such as Sierra. This is the formula:

((Developer's Estimated Ship Date [in remaining days]) * 0) - 1

So if Sierra says that they'll ship Halflife or Tribes 2 in 7 months, you times that by 0 and subtract 1. This gives you -1 which could be interpreted as 'it shipped yesterday' or more realistically be interpreted as 'it ain't gonna ship...ever!'

SOLIDAge  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2002, 09:19 PM

now that we have some people working for westlake, gameranger, and asypr maybe they will shed some light on this question...
i really really really hope we see it for the Mac

Forum Links
Forum Rules