Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Is X ready for office use?

Is X ready for office use?
booboo
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 06:14 AM

(Amongst other things) I look after a small company's office network - I persuaded them to go the Mac route about 18 months ago and apart from a few initial teething problems, it's worked out fine. They're running (4) iMac 500's, with a G4/400 as a server. A couple of iBooks come and go...

The Mac's (OS 9.0.4) aren't as stable as the old Pentium 1's (running NT4, I think) they replace, but there have been no instances of data loss, anfd restart has always fixed any problems that have occured. (This has been the Mac equation as long as I remember...;-))

They run AppleWorks, Office and FileMaker Pro.

Question: is - and this assumes drivers are out for their Canon scanner and OKI printer - is X ready for primetime in this environment, particularly in terms of network reliability and speed?
Mac Pro 2.66, 2GB RAM | 4 x 250 GB HD's | MOTO 424e/2408-II

Danny Ricci
Apr 19, 2002, 06:46 AM

Yeah, they should be fine. Your OS 9 stability problem probably comes from your OS version. 9.2.2 is the latest, you should update all of the Machines even if they're not running OS X yet. I noticed that helped OS 9 stability a lot!

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 06:53 AM

Thx.

I hear what you're saying about 9 - but I think its stability problems are largely inherent. A freeze a day - or two on a bad day - usually in IE or Outlook Express... is this not par for the course?

Personally, I've have more problems with > 9.0.4 versions -of 9. I thought these updates were largely - or entirely - Classic fixes, anyway...?

Danny Ricci
Apr 19, 2002, 07:02 AM

the later OS 9 versions do improve things in Classic in X, but they also seem to fix a lot of problems, at least for me.

As for IE and Outlook crashing -- well, look at who makes it. I never crashed once a day, though. Maybe once every 3 or so days, but not every day.

You may want to give a 9 update a shot, at least on some of the machines, and see if that happens to help them any.

shortcipher
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2002, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by Danny Ricci:
<STRONG>the later OS 9 versions do improve things in Classic in X, but they also seem to fix a lot of problems, at least for me.

As for IE and Outlook crashing -- well, look at who makes it. I never crashed once a day, though. Maybe once every 3 or so days, but not every day.

You may want to give a 9 update a shot, at least on some of the machines, and see if that happens to help them any.</STRONG>
I run OSX and IE occassionally freezes, but you know what? I dont care, it doesnt bring the system down, and it only takes 3-4 seconds to force quit and relaunch.

Go the X route, its well worth it, particularly if your users aren't long time OS9 users, as the jump to aqua is quite jarring if you are.

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 07:27 AM

Originally posted by shortcipher:
<STRONG>

I run OSX and IE occassionally freezes, but you know what? I dont care, it doesnt bring the system down, and it only takes 3-4 seconds to force quit and relaunch.

Go the X route, its well worth it, particularly if your users aren't long time OS9 users, as the jump to aqua is quite jarring if you are.</STRONG>
I understand perfectly what you're saying about IE on X. I run X myself and IE crashed a few seconds ago. re-launch, no problem.

But my concerns are as to how robust the networking is on OS X. There have been threads about X just dropping connections and restarts being necessary.

Has anyone any experience of how well 10.1.3 is running simple TCP/IP networks, including running non-server version FileMakerPro across the network?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by booboo:
<STRONG>

But my concerns are as to how robust the networking is on OS X. There have been threads about X just dropping connections and restarts being necessary.

Has anyone any experience of how well 10.1.3 is running simple TCP/IP networks, including running non-server version FileMakerPro across the network?</STRONG>
I have had absolutely no dropping of connections to our Win2k server or Linux server. I use X quite heavily as a sys admin in a small company of 100 users. I use FileMaker Pro too, without any problems. I don't know where you heard about X dropping TCP/IP connections, but I have never seen it.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Apr 19, 2002, 07:47 AM

Re:Is X ready for office use?

&lt;Woman's orgasm&gt; YES! YES!!! OH, GAWD, YES!!!!! &lt;/Woman's orgasm&gt;

booboo  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2002, 07:50 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
<STRONG>

I have had absolutely no dropping of connections to our Win2k server or Linux server. I use X quite heavily as a sys admin in a small company of 100 users. I use FileMaker Pro too, without any problems. I don't know where you heard about X dropping TCP/IP connections, but I have never seen it.</STRONG>
Thanks - you've put my mind at rest.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2002, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
<STRONG>
I don't know where you heard about X dropping TCP/IP connections, but I have never seen it.</STRONG>
I think that's a reference to dial-up internet connections and not network connections. I think I 've heard of a few dial-up internet (TCP/IP) connection problems.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

omac
Banned
Apr 19, 2002, 12:46 PM

x is unuseable for me at the moment due to alcatel's incompetence not apple..

adsl usb modem bug still not fixed @ apr 02.. !

apple =
alcatel=

Forum Links
Forum Rules