Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > disable MBP laptop when ext'l keyboard attached

disable MBP laptop when ext'l keyboard attached
sedlacek
Aug 13, 2007, 09:25 PM

I need a new keyboard for my MBP (the 'e' key will spontaneously get stuck and keep on dumping 'e's forever). Fortunately Apple is going to replace the bad keyboard once the replacement comes in. :-) In the meantime i can't really do any work even if I attach a usb keyboard since the laptop keyboard is not ignored....so my question is: is there a way to disable the int'l keyboard when the ext'l keyboard is attached? My hope being that if the int'l board is ignored I won't have the issue of the running eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

TIA
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch
TiBk-667MHz/768MB/15-inch
Lomdard-333MHz/384MB/15-inch
PB-3400/20MHz/144MB/12.1-inch

bballe336
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2007, 12:59 AM

If you plug in an external keyboard and don't use the built in one I don't see what the issue is.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 14, 2007, 04:38 AM

Maybe the e has a mind of its own regardless of whether the keyboard is being used?

If this is the case, you could unplug it from the main board, but you'd have to remove the whole uppercase.

You could change the delay of the repeat rate of your keyboard under system prefs?

Have you tried removing the key itself?

sedlacek  (op)
Aug 14, 2007, 05:52 PM

Thanks for the inputs and ideas! Much appreciated.

to bballe336: the issue is not me causing the 'e' key to stick, but rather a bad electrical contact that causes the 'e' key to engage. Using JonoMarshall's words: the 'e has a mind of its own regardless of whether the keyboard is being used'.

JonoMarshall: Tried the changing of the delay...but no luck. Also tried removing the key, but still had the problem. I will unplug the keyboard tonight to see how that works...will report back afterwards. It is an easy solution and besides, with my luck, as soon as I do it I'm sure Apple will call telling me my replacement kybd is in! ;-)
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch

sedlacek  (op)
Aug 14, 2007, 09:54 PM

Fortunately you do not have to remove the upper case to get access to the keyboard ribbon....simply remove the battery and unplug the larger of the two ribbons that can be seen underneath the battery.

Now my rampant 'e' problem is no longer a problem and at can get some work done while i await my new int'l kybd.

Again...thx for the suggestions....

-a
--------------
MBP-2.33GHz/3GB/15-inch

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Aug 15, 2007, 04:24 AM

Ooops, I knew that (once fixed a MBP and didn't plug it back in), sorry!

Forum Links
Forum Rules