Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > HD indexing

HD indexing
neon_duke
Jun 25, 2003, 11:16 PM

OK, I decided to let Sherlock do its "Find By Content" indexing thing... 3 days ago.

My hard drive has been running more or less continuously since then, and it's still telling me there are 99 hours to go. The progress bar is about 30% across the window and hasn't noticeably moved in 24 hours.

I've been letting it run out of sheer bloody determination to see how long this can possibly take, but I'm beginning to think the hard drive is going to wear out and my brain is going to explode before it does anything noticeable.

What the hell is taking it so long, and have the programmers responsible for this piece of garbage been sacked? I could have written all of my documents out longhand in less time. It's only 9 gigs worth of stuff, most of which is applications, not documents.

Will it ever end, or should I just surrender now?
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 26, 2003, 05:31 PM

That doesn't sound right. I indexed a 10 GB partition and it took less than an hour. Although if you have 9 GB of text files anything is possible.

neon_duke  (op)
Jun 27, 2003, 10:42 AM

No, 9 gigs is the total amount of space used on my 18gb drive, including system, apps, everything.

At any rate, it finally seems to have finished up over night some time. Thanks for the reply.
www.gtplanet.net
www.neons.org

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2003, 09:44 PM

Originally posted by neon_duke:
No, 9 gigs is the total amount of space used on my 18gb drive, including system, apps, everything.

At any rate, it finally seems to have finished up over night some time. Thanks for the reply.
You're welcome. Good to hear it finally finished.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 4, 2003, 05:50 PM

Be sure to check the size of the index, it could be far bigger than the space you're willing to give up!

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules