Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > My Nokia Hates My Nano...

My Nokia Hates My Nano...
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Feb 22, 2006, 11:11 PM

I had my Nokia 6230i sitting on a table, atop my iPod nano. I was listening to the iPod, when all of a sudden, the volume went to max. About 2 seconds later, the phone rang.

Never knew the two could react that way.

Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 02:53 AM

Cell phones have funny effects on electronics. I know whenever my old Nokia phone would ring, I would hear a low buzzing through the speakers on my stereo about two seconds before the ring. I heard the same sound in a lecture when a professor's phone went off and messed with his microphone.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

DigitalEl  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 23, 2006, 09:51 AM

Yeah, I've seen that with computer speakers before. It's a "dit-dit-dit... dit-dit-dit" sound that - like you said - comes about two seconds before the ring. Never seen one effect an iPod though.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

thestumper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 23, 2006, 12:56 PM

This is fairly well documented; it might even be on this forum somewhere, or a MacNN headline. Regardless, this is pretty common. It seems to be wrose with certain phones (Nokia comes to mind) and certain types of service (GSM, I think, is the offending service; CDMA not so much). Anyway, do some more research on it if its a real issue for you. You're certainly not alone.

Note: I just figured out where I found the info: www.head-fi.org

- just do a search there for more details. Lots of guys worrying about blowing out their expensive headphones.

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2006, 02:42 PM

I get the noise through my speakers, but with iPods I believe it's the scroll wheel not being properly shielded that causes the volume to crank.
There's another thread about this somewhere in the forums...

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 23, 2006, 06:19 PM

Cell phones produce some pretty high frequency radio waves. These can get into electronics they're only near-if you put them together touching, you're going to have some "interesting" effects. It's probably not good for the Nano to have that kind of exposure too often.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules