Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > For Anyone Still On the Fence About iPhone...

For Anyone Still On the Fence About iPhone...
DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2007, 11:24 AM

The most comprehensive review to date, courtesy Ars Technica.

It's hard to imagine that anyone could do one more inclusive than this. Concluding a 15 page write-up, they give iPhone 1.0 a fantastic 8 out of 10.

Here's the gist of their take. My comments in bold.

Pros:

• Web surfing experience is superior to other phones
• Overall SMS experience is great
• Practically non-scratchable - Check out the stress tests video on page 13... Incredible!
• Looks fantastic in every way
• Easy to use, self-discoverable
• Soft keyboard is definitely usable - Agreed! Even with my big mitts, this is a non-issue!
• iPod interface rocks

Cons:

• iPhone is currently locked to AT&T - Their network has been craptacular in my experience so far, too.
• No worthwhile Exchange support - Not important to me. That's what BlackBerries are for.
• No wireless syncing over Bluetooth or WiFi, must tether via USB, no modem use at all - Gotta plug in to charge anyway, right?
• Extremely quiet ringer/alert/speakerphone volume - Legitimate gripe, as this is brutal! Could this be a software fix?
• Windows version of iTunes cause a few hiccups - Frak 'em! Just my opinion, folks. Impractical in the real world, I know.
• Application support is weak - Apple has included the only applications I need (for now).
• E-mail implementation feels weak - Definitely a legitimate gripe, but surely to be addressed in a software update.

The entire review is here:
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardw...e-review.ars/1
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules