Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > What's a good time tracking app.?

What's a good time tracking app.?
mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 11, 2007, 06:46 PM

I've been using TimeLog for a couple of years, but it has started to cause my MacBook Pro to act really weird when I'm using Flash. Are there any graphic designers out there who can recommend a software for this - one where you can put in rates for services to do my billing — and works well with all the Adobe apps?

Thanks in advance.

Photo678
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 07:44 PM

billable<---http://clickablebliss.com/billable
billings<---http://www.billings2.com/

mydog8mymac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 12, 2007, 09:23 PM

Both of those looked promising, but I need to be able to enter different rates and services: like design rate of $50/hr and a production rate of $30/hr as well as other things like animation etc... I'd like the app to keep those as choices, instead of having to enter them each time I start the timer.

Other suggestions?

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 12:11 AM

I evaluated a bunch of apps last year and didn't find one that suited my needs, mostly because I have unusual needs

For some of my work (consulting), I track and bill time. I use the time billing function in MYOB Accountedge, and it does a nice job. However, most of my work is done on a project basis. For projects, I need to track time against the fixed cost of the project but not bill it. Unfortunately, there's no way to do this in MYOB. I also needed something that would give me daily and weekly subtotals for each project, for both billable and nonbillable hours.

If you need something basic, do a search on VersionTracker. There should be quite a few apps that would suit you.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2007, 12:26 AM

I always wondered. Let's say I'm working in Quark for an hour, I get a call and I do nothing for 15 minutes, does the tracker stop or is it dependent on me to stop it?

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2007, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
I always wondered. Let's say I'm working in Quark for an hour, I get a call and I do nothing for 15 minutes, does the tracker stop or is it dependent on me to stop it?
It works by SuperMagicalHeuristicBrainInterfacitis!

( Last edited by Macola; Feb 14, 2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: none)

Stever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2007, 07:59 AM

It let's you set the billable rate for design or production or whatever and detects if you're away from your computer (and will let you assign that away time to another project.)

www.officetime.net

A lot of people seem to like it judging by the comments on Versiontracker and http://www.officetime.net/reviews.html

Macola
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2007, 12:42 PM

OfficeTime was one of the better ones I tried last year. You still have to pause the timer, though--I don't see how an autodetect function would really be useful. Even if you're not physically doing anything on the computer, it could still be billable time for the project.

Stever
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2007, 07:31 AM

Well, you don't have to pause the timer actually in OfficeTime. I walk away from my computer and when I get back it asks if I want to subtract the 10 minutes or put it as billable time for another project.

mydog8mymac  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 20, 2007, 11:36 PM

I've been using OfficeTime for a couple of weeks now and I like it. It seems to have several capabilities that TimeLog doesn't. The invoice does look a little clunky, but I can live with it — It does all the math! I'm still using the trial, but I think it's a keeper and the price is right.

betoranaldi
Feb 23, 2007, 03:49 PM

I use iRatchet... seems to do everything I need it to do. It can look a little confusing at first but really is a great program

PGS

Forum Links
Forum Rules