Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Cleaning a white iBook

Cleaning a white iBook
KianD
Jan 14, 2005, 07:04 PM

I'm pretty hard on my laptops - my HP has lost all the paint on its keycaps and the wristrests, shift key and spacebar are completely shiny

However, on the iBook, they're going yellow. Skin oils, etc. Other than wearing gloves when using the machine, how can I stop my wristrests going vaguely beige?
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Forte
Forum Regular
Jan 14, 2005, 07:10 PM

I'm not sure there really is a way to do so...

However, it is cleanable with Flash Erasers (same company as the cleaning-fluid 'Flash'), which are the UK and Ireland equivalent to the 'Mr. Clean Erasers' that US and Canadian iBook users often seem to swear by for keeping such marks off of their machines.

Others say that plain, generic white pencil erasers work just as well, too, though I guess maybe the Flash Erasers would be best for older, or more stubborn marks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2005, 07:12 PM

You should try a search before posting there's been a ton of discussion on this subject. Seems like the general consenses is that the Mr. Clean sponge thingie they sell at local grocery stores is the best way to get that yellowness out your ibook wrist area.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

KianD  (op)
Jan 14, 2005, 07:29 PM

Pencil eraser does the job. Or at least it seems to on the wristrest. Powering down so I can clean the shift key

An iBook is like a girlfriend - requires too much of your time to maintain :-)

Oh, and we don't have Mr Clean sponges this side of the Atlantic. We also pay ~30% more for Apple gear and get left with American keyboards, so theres usually a justifiable wish to keep the machine looking new so you can at least pretend its very recent. Apple not changing the casing much has helped that I gues....
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

Forte
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2005, 03:40 AM

and get left with American keyboards
Actually, US iBook keyboards are different again from the ones we get. O_o;;
A friend of mine from the US had to get his iBook's keyboard replaced during a trip to London, and ended up with a layout he was entirely unfamiliar with.

Glad to hear that the pencil eraser worked! ^^

KianD  (op)
Jan 15, 2005, 06:07 AM

Well, Apple *claim* I've got an Irish layout. But my #, ", @, �, `, ~, etc are all in the wrong place for an Irish keyboard.

Forte
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2005, 03:15 AM

Originally posted by KianD:
Well, Apple *claim* I've got an Irish layout. But my #, ", @, �, `, ~, etc are all in the wrong place for an Irish keyboard.
*nods* Same issue with the UK layout ones, too. It's the one thing I had trouble adjusting to. XD

Forum Links
Forum Rules