Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime OSX is HARDLY working

Quicktime OSX is HARDLY working
mugwump
Apr 3, 2001, 01:46 AM

On my Powerbook g3 400 Lombard, quicktime movies playback like my friend's Pentium 166. That is SCARY! It plays about a frame a second.

Mind you, this is mainly with streaming Quictime OS X content, such as any movie trailer on Apple.com.

When I boot up the classic version of Quicktime 5 RT player with a classic web browser, the movies playback perfect but the windows don't fully refresh and begin to really slop up the screen.

All of this using a perfect install of OSX, writing zeros before installation, a 2gb OS X first partition with OS 9 on another partition, Speed optimization using Disk Warrior 2.1, and then much later I also installed 10.0.1 with not much improvement in the Quicktime area.

What happened? Quicktime 5 OS X is not da bomb.

BlaKaT
Apr 3, 2001, 09:35 PM

I have exactly the same issue with quicktime on a G4 400 with 500+ MB Ram running a Radeon. so somthing is not quite right yet in quicktime.

Cotton
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2001, 09:46 PM

QT works fine for me on my iMac DV 400, 192mb ram. I have OSX installed only, no OS9. Not quite as snappy, but I don't lose frames at all unless I'm doing something else... even streaming content works great.

That said, I haven't really used it all too much... but even the big 480x320 movies work fine.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2001, 11:56 PM

I have some "lip sync" issues. You do know that it's QT 5 beta right? Let's hope they get the final done this summer along with the DVD player.

JLL
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2001, 02:43 AM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
I have some "lip sync" issues. You do know that it's QT 5 beta right? Let's hope they get the final done this summer along with the DVD player.
QT5 in Mac OS X is not beta!

------------------
JLL
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2001, 11:04 AM

Hummm? I though it was. Well it should be if it's not. 'cause it doesn't work right.

bleen
Senior User
Apr 5, 2001, 06:09 AM

Quicktime in OS X has many problems... I have an iBook SE 366, and QT works like a charm in OS 9. But S L O W in OS X. OS X seems to have many many memory allocation problems. I hope 10.0.1 will fix some of these problems.

memento
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2001, 09:55 AM

QT5 in OSX is supposedly final. I'm not happy with it at all. missing codecs (AVI, mpeg1 export), major performance issues - can't play mpeg1 or sorenson clips at 320x240 and 30fps, FORGET about fullscreen! B&W G3 300, 380MB RAM, 5GB partition (reformatted), dev tools installed.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

PerfectlyNormalBeast
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2001, 05:52 AM

I've noticed a huge difference between rage pro and rage 128 chips running QT on OS X. I think part of it is a driver issue. Also, QT performs better with more than 128 mb of ram.

mikerally
Senior User
Apr 12, 2001, 03:07 PM

This is really odd!!!

Quicktime 5 on my Mac with Mac OS X works perfectly.

Admitedly I haven't tried the streaming yet, but I was showing a demo to my friend.

Basically, I opened a few AVI and MPG files of some music videos that are included on the Windows 95 CD, Quicktime 5 had no problems opening them (I didn't even have to import them!) or playing them back either, didn't drop a single frame!

To try pushing Quicktime, I decided to play two different movies off the CD to show my friend. Quicktime dropped a few frames, but managed to play both, even when minimising them to the dock. The CD was being well thrashed to death though.

All in all, abeit no fullscreen mode, Quicktime 5 seems to be able to do everything I need to do with it, as I did with 4.1.2.

The difference here, is that I bought it (upgraded to Pro) maybe?

Well my spec is an iBook Rev/A Tangerine with 288MB of RAM.

Maybe that's the difference?
I'm being absolutely honest, it plays as well on my iBook as the Classic (and my Windows) version does.

I do recognise the performance issue though. Quicktime on the Public Beta on my iBook, absolutely sucked. Maybe it's because I only had 96MB of RAM on my iBook at the time, that's the only difference I can think of?

All I know is that I'm satisfied with it on my Mac anyway.

Michael Rally

applenut1
Senior User
Apr 12, 2001, 07:01 PM

the people saying it works fine are likely using crappy videos that even 68K macs have no problem playing.

Try playing uncompressed video. it barely plays.

OS X seems to have a real problem with high datarate/bandwidth apps/files.

Forum Links
Forum Rules