Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > ordered my g4 533

ordered my g4 533
in the flesh?
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2001, 03:09 PM

------------------------------------------------------------------------Power Mac G4 A $ 2,255.00 1 $ 2,255.00
Apple Pro Keyboard 065-2181
RADEON card - 32MB DDR-RAM 065-2651
Dual 533MHz PowerPC G4 065-2408
Mac OS 065-2502
Accessory kit 065-2410
128MB SDRAM - 1 DIMM 065-2429
30GB Ultra ATA drive 065-2642
56K internal modem 065-2193
CD-RW drive 065-2579
Gigabit Ethernet built in 065-2353

i hope the radeon is the better card

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 20, 2001, 03:12 PM

I would order another 128 Mb of memory and the dream has come true!

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2001, 08:27 PM

He is much better off buying the extra RAM from someone other than Apple. Apple charges 2x as much for RAM. Just go to ramjet.com or crucial.com.
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2001, 05:56 AM

I just ordered my dual 533 myself, with the nVidia. I don't have to hope it's better than the Radeon... EVERYTHING is better than the Radeon.

I still have my heart set on the ProFormance 4, though. Damn sweet card!

oP
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 09:41 AM

Of course one could better order the extra memory from somehwere else than the Apple store. As a matter of fact, I ordered a 533 G4 with 256 and a 15 " LCD from a reseller. This was about $200 cheaper than the Apple store. Had to order pro speakers through Apple, though.

NeoMac
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2001, 12:01 PM

Castor, if that 15" LCD is the Apple ACD, then you are going to LOVE it. It is the best screen I've ever used. No more CRTs for me, ever!
"Last time the French asked for more evidence, it rolled through France with a German flag." - David Letterman

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 12:37 PM

It definitely is, NeoMac! I am glas to hear it is such a good screen. I fell in love with it on an Apple/Adobe seminar, where it was availabloe to play with linked to a cube. I was already happy with the lcd in my iBook, so you can imagine what this experience was like. However, do you use Photoshop extensively with it? Everybody is moaning about the fact that this cannot be done with a LCD. I have had a few go's at Photoshopping with the iBook and even this resulted in great pictures. TIA

naepstn
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 04:24 PM

Unless you are a professional graphic artist or in the printing industry, the LCD is just fine for Photoshop and relatively simple image manipulation. It's only at the very high-end that the kind of colour reproduction that the LCD is incapable of is really a problem. It is a shame that this problem exists, but all technology has its limitations, especially in the early days. Unless you are in this biz, the benefits of the LCD far outweigh the slight colour reproduction issues. Enjoy it!!!

imacman11
Jan 21, 2001, 04:44 PM

Hows the LCD for gaming?

------------------
Thou shalt go forth and spread the iWord.
------------------
[email protected]
------------------
www.themacgod.com

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 05:01 PM

As LCD has a hardware limited optimal resolution, the res switchting of some games is a pain in the butt. Speed is OK though! I must confess that this is on my iBook, so I expect better results on my G4 533 etc.
About Photoshop once more, I design for print and web. I need to check my Webgraphics even when working on a CRT. But I generate duotones in my print designs, how about this on that 15"lcd?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2001, 07:31 PM

Don't get Laptop LCDs mixed up with the Studio and Cinema. Different LCD technology. The Studio & Cinema use a Plasma liquid crystal display. This results in MUCH better color, contrast per pixel, and much brighter and sharper image. If they were using Laptop LCDs, they would be selling for around $300 and $500 and the quality would just suck. Compare the original Apple 15" blue & white studio and the 15" clear Studion now. You'll see a huge difference.

Studio and Cinema also aren't as prone the the blurring effects of laptop LCDs. The picture quality is surprisingly clear and great for gaming.

DO expect much better performance over your iBook.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Castor
Forum Regular
Jan 21, 2001, 07:44 PM

Thanks for the input here guys! I am getting impatient for my 15" But to keep myself from shame, I am going to read some background info on the studio display. I am very glad you took the time to spell out some of the stuff you did! Later!

Forum Links
Forum Rules