Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iPhoto 5.0.1...fast!

iPhoto 5.0.1...fast!
MacAttack
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 11:09 PM

Just installed the iPhoto 5.0.1 update via Software Update, and one very noticeable improvement...WAY faster access to my photos. Before, iPhoto 5.0 launched in one bounce, but the "beachball" would spin for a few seconds before my 1300+ photos would show up. With the 5.0.1 update, they all show up in about a second after launch. Nice improvement!

I'll be interested to see what else is improved as I poke around with it. Just thought I'd chime in with an initial observation.

Anybody else notice anything new/improved?

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2005, 11:18 PM

I still get a second or so "beachball" when I launch iPhoto v5.0.1, and it still takes a few seconds to close, but not bad!

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2005, 09:05 AM

Well, it fixed the two biggest bugs I had, the greyed out external editor, and the bring-to-front display glitch. I guess it does feel a tad snappier�, but that's often an illusion after an install, unfortunately. Some of my issues with the UI remain, however (<shameless plug>read about them in Part III at my site</shameless plug>)

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 10:21 AM

Well one thing...

Can iPhoto 5 write a single library which exceeds 4.4 GB to Multiple DVD's like iTunes.???

My Photo collection has gone over 5 GB and I cant backup the entire thing at once.

I know I can split and backup but it would be great if iPhoto handled this.
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

iMacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by addiecool:
Well one thing...

Can iPhoto 5 write a single library which exceeds 4.4 GB to Multiple DVD's like iTunes.???

My Photo collection has gone over 5 GB and I cant backup the entire thing at once.

I know I can split and backup but it would be great if iPhoto handled this.
Very good question.

This should be a basic feature, IMHO. Especially for someone like me who manages a heavy TIFF library instead of a lighter JPEG library.
Mac 512 - Mac Plus - Classic - Color Classic - iMac Bondi - iMac 400 Graphite - iMac G4 15/800 - iMac G4 17/1.25
-- A long all-in-one history --

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2005, 12:53 PM

iMacBliss...

You really own all those Macs ??? WOW

or is it your upgrade history ....
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

iMacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 3, 2005, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by addiecool:
You really own all those Macs ??? WOW

or is it your upgrade history ....
Upgrade history only...

But I still own this nifty Color Classic from 1993... The only Mac I've never sold : it looks too good !
Mac 512 - Mac Plus - Classic - Color Classic - iMac Bondi - iMac 400 Graphite - iMac G4 15/800 - iMac G4 17/1.25
-- A long all-in-one history --

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 4, 2005, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by iMacBliss:
Upgrade history only...

But I still own this nifty Color Classic from 1993... The only Mac I've never sold : it looks too good !
iPod Video 5G 60GB White

azdude
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2005, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by iMacBliss:
Upgrade history only...

I just recently finally got rid off my old Classic II and the SCSI (portrait) external monitor we had with it. They had been too hard to get rid of, but we had a little prayer/ceremony at the garbage can.

Then we donated our couple Performa 630CD's away to a local preschool... those are still running great, and very competent for kids games.

Anyway... back to the original topic (whatever that was)
17" 2.33GHz C2D MacBook Pro / 320GB / 2GB

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2005, 08:58 PM

A bit off topic but does anyone know if you can get the 5.01 update NOT via Software update? If I do the 'Check for updates' in iPhoto a window opens telling me about the update. But the click through to the Software update app refuses to show that any updates are available, I have tried removing the 'receipts' but with no effect.

WSKCONDOR
Feb 20, 2005, 02:36 PM

MacAttack,
The update may have worked well for you because you have so few photos. I was running fine with iPhoto 4, then updated to iLife 5. iPhoto 5.0 basically does not work. It was taking aver 2 minutes to open and longer to close.

I have 10,620 photos, so the number must be the thing. Although they imply the iPod Photo will handle 25,000 photos. I am not sure what program you are supposed to use to get that many on there properly.

After updating to 5.01 iPhoto is EVEN WORSE. With no other changes, it is crippled. It has the performance you would send a product back for.

We would call it "Unacceptable" in the test community.

So what's the answer? Maybe they will "fix it" again like they did when going to 4.0 (speed-wise). BUt they are really touting a product that doesn't work if you have a lot of photos.

Upgraders need to know that your performance is not going to happen if you have a LOT of pics, and it is better to stay with 4.x until Apple fixes this. Once you "upgrade" the library, I don't think you can go back. At least that is what the installer tells you.

Wskcondor

mamamia
Feb 20, 2005, 09:43 PM

WSKCONDOR:

I highly doubt the program is inherently incapable of handling 10000 photos, especially if iphoto 4 was able to. Perhaps something funcky occurred while you were updating, but there must be a way to reinitilize the program/library. have you called support?

Originally posted by WSKCONDOR:
MacAttack,
The update may have worked well for you because you have so few photos. I was running fine with iPhoto 4, then updated to iLife 5. iPhoto 5.0 basically does not work. It was taking aver 2 minutes to open and longer to close.

I have 10,620 photos, so the number must be the thing. Although they imply the iPod Photo will handle 25,000 photos. I am not sure what program you are supposed to use to get that many on there properly.

After updating to 5.01 iPhoto is EVEN WORSE. With no other changes, it is crippled. It has the performance you would send a product back for.

So what's the answer? Maybe they will "fix it" again like they did when going to 4.0 (speed-wise). BUt they are really touting a product that doesn't work if you have a lot of photos.

Upgraders need to know that your performance is not going to happen if you have a LOT of pics, and it is better to stay with 4.x until Apple fixes this. Once you "upgrade" the library, I don't think you can go back. At least that is what the installer tells you.

Wskcondor
funky bitch

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2005, 09:50 PM

With large libraries the solution is to decrease the size of photos displayed in the browser. And to turn off drop shadows.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

asxless
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2005, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by wunderkind:
With large libraries the solution is to decrease the size of photos displayed in the browser. And to turn off drop shadows.
... and set the view to Film Rolls with the rolls colapsed. If your total image collection is over 2GB you can cut the collection into 'chunks' and use iPhoto Librarian (or similar app) to access the 'chunks'.

FWIW I maintain multiple iPhoto libraries (each one between 2-5 GB) and use iPhoto Librarian to select which iPhoto Library to view. It's not perfect but it works

-- asxless in iLand

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 3, 2005, 10:58 PM

MacAttack,

Wskcondor
Exactly the same thing here. I'm running iPhoto 5.0.1 on a brand new 1.42ghz Mac Mini with 1 gig RAM and lots of hard disk space, no other apps running, and the thing is GLACIAL. It's infuriating. It takes several seconds of spinning beachball to react to any mouse click. It's unusable. Permissions are fixed, shadows are turned off, film rolls are collapsed, there's no reason it should take so long. I've also had it crash out on me a couple of times during imports. Size of library: 6,522 photos, 25.7 gigs. I really expected version 5 on the new machine to speed things up but if anything it's slower than before. BIG disappointment.

mintcake
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 10:58 PM

Update: following a discussion on the Apple discussion boards, and a tip, I've got iPhoto 5 back up almost to iPhoto 4 speeds: firstly, hit the '2' key to make all images the size of iPhoto's thumbnails, that way the computer doesn't have to work to resize everything on the fly; secondly, have you launched the other iApps since installing iLife 05? Launching iDVD for the first time, then deleting your iPhoto preferences in your user/library folder really seems to speed things up noticeably. Seems to work for me.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 12:21 PM

MacAttack,

Wskcondor
I have 3500 pictures in my library. I can only describe the speed as "agonizing". While the rest of my computer chugs along merrily on it's way, iPhoto 5.0.1 manages to be barely responsive. Even the menus in iPhoto 5 are slow. It's really amazing.

I have to wait 10-15 seconds to crop a picture. That's just for the selection to show up. Terrible.

2 gigs of ram, dual 1ghz g4.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by mintcake:
Update: following a discussion on the Apple discussion boards, and a tip, I've got iPhoto 5 back up almost to iPhoto 4 speeds: firstly, hit the '2' key to make all images the size of iPhoto's thumbnails, that way the computer doesn't have to work to resize everything on the fly; secondly, have you launched the other iApps since installing iLife 05? Launching iDVD for the first time, then deleting your iPhoto preferences in your user/library folder really seems to speed things up noticeably. Seems to work for me.
Good tips! The 2 key made a huge difference.

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 03:11 AM

Yeah, I have tons of problems with iPhoto. It is the worst application on my hard drive - sooo many spinning beachballs. I've just now turned off the drop shadows, and I'll trash my prefs...but I'm not too optimisitc.

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2005, 10:32 AM

Why are ANY of you still using iPhoto? How much *hit will you let Apple shovel back up your asses? It's really unnerving to see. I've goofed off with iPhoto since the first version. Sorry but it's garabage. Why? Because of the iPhoto database. XML was never designed to be used for huge files, and libraries of files.

Stop using iPHOTO. Find something else and use it. I see comments like "Launching other iApps, 'seems' to make it go faster". LOL What next? Do you want to pray around iPhoto? Maybe do a little rain dance?

:-P Save yourself lots of health issues and heart attacks.

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2005, 10:49 AM

I've noticed that while iPhoto 5 may launch at acceptable speeds, thumbnail and single picture rendering performance is still pretty abysmal compared to iPhoto 4. In particular, I'm not a big fan of clicking on a thumbnail only to see it again with the "Loading Photo" message; I think I prefer the old way of displaying the full photo and rendering it on the fly (makes it easier to flip through photos).
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

leperkuhn
Senior User
Mar 14, 2005, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by ashtoash:
Why are ANY of you still using iPhoto? How much *hit will you let Apple shovel back up your asses? It's really unnerving to see. I've goofed off with iPhoto since the first version. Sorry but it's garabage. Why? Because of the iPhoto database. XML was never designed to be used for huge files, and libraries of files.

Stop using iPHOTO. Find something else and use it. I see comments like "Launching other iApps, 'seems' to make it go faster". LOL What next? Do you want to pray around iPhoto? Maybe do a little rain dance?

:-P Save yourself lots of health issues and heart attacks.
I've actually found that sacrificing a goat every week has helped improve speeds a little.

Actually, I continue to use it because
a) I already own it.
b) i like the layout
c) revert to original
d) I've invested thousands in dead goats.

Forum Links
Forum Rules