Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Female Thor

Female Thor
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2014, 04:13 AM

BBC News - Marvel Comics recasts superhero Thor - as a woman

No, just NO !!!

Make a new character don't change the sex of one. FFS

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2014, 07:34 AM

I wonder what Chris Hemsworth or Tom Hiddleston think of all this? Who could they get to play a female Thor? They never came up with a good Wonder Woman actress. What will they do get a German woman weight lifter or something? The whole idea must have been thought of by a drunk PC dbagger.
( Last edited by BadKosh; Jul 16, 2014 at 10:47 AM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2014, 10:17 AM

Less dumb than Archie taking a bullet for his gay friend.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 16, 2014, 10:46 AM

File me under

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
Less dumb than Archie taking a bullet for his gay friend.
I'm going to be massively disappointed if Fox & Friends don't comment on that.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2014, 10:47 AM

But it will end the Archie comic books. How can THAT be bad?

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2014, 11:20 AM

Apparently it only ends that particular run of Archie comic books. There are currently like 4 different running variations of Archie, so eh... see that Harrison Ford GIF above.

My question is... who the hell buys Archie comic books?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2014, 11:40 AM

Great Question.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2014, 11:54 AM

Thor & Sif girl on girl action! Bring it on!
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2014, 12:31 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2014, 12:55 PM

Can someone give me the two bit rundown on how Marvel uses deities and doesn't piss people off?

Do lady Thors get hyperdimensional hammers?

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 16, 2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Can someone give me the two bit rundown on how Marvel uses deities and doesn't piss people off?
Because people that believe in Norse gods don't get pissy when their deities are portrayed as badass superheroes?

Also, it appears to be a temporary passing of the mantle from a fallen male character to an up and comer female character. It'll revert back eventually.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2014, 01:22 PM

Allow me to rephrase.

Why do monotheists, who do get pissy when you claim other gods exist, not get pissy at this?

Isn't there some BS deal like they're not actually gods but aliens?

andi*pandi
Jul 16, 2014, 02:01 PM

From what I read, it sounds like "Thor" is a job title. Male guy lost it due to a bad performance review. Female got promoted. Cool by me.

Some supertitles seem to be the name of only ONE person, and can only be that ONE... but Batman, Green Lantern, etc, pass the torch. I always thought Thor was one being, but hey...

also, Joss:
https://twitter.com/josswhedon/statu...476864/photo/1

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2014, 02:55 PM

Thor: God of Thunder (thighs)

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by shaddim View Post
thor & sif girl on girl action! Bring it on!
photos!!!

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2014, 03:41 PM

Do lady Thors get hyperdimensional hammers?
Hammers? Really? You thought of hammers?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2014, 08:01 PM

Well... I did.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2014, 02:04 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2014, 08:55 AM

Funnily enough Odin actually has some previous form when it comes to gender bending. So I learned from an episode of The Almighty Johnsons anyway.
That was a good show.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Jul 17, 2014, 12:23 PM

I don't read comics, but somehow I hear about these things that are "big news", and when I look next it's all back to the old way again. In the last few years, Bruce Wayne died and Dick Grayson took over as Batman, Peter Parker died and was possessed by some supervillain, and wasn't Green Lantern gay? Meh. It's all clickbait at this point.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2014, 12:32 PM

Those were all superheroes though.

Likewise, this is the "Archie as adult" line of Archie comics. The other lines won't stop because those all take place before he died.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2014, 02:21 PM

Watching people b!tch and moan about a female Thor is just like watching everyone b!tch and moan about a black Heimdall. It's so sad but shows how insular and insecure many people still are.

Do these complainers know anything about comics? Outrageous stunts like this are the bread-and-butter of comic book writing. They gave Spider-Man four extra arms at one point! Besides, temporary replacements and female-gendered versions of male heroes are endemic to the form. This isn't really shocking, but rather "more of the same."

Frankly, I think a story about Thor being de-powered while his sister Angela takes up the hammer is really interesting, something I might even read.

ajprice's link about The Falcon becoming Captain America is even more intriguing. I think it would be awesome if this event was mirrored in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Lots of people are expecting Marvel to have Bucky eventually becoming Captain America in the films when Chris Evans decides to move on, but I think it would be cooler if Anthony Mackie took over instead. Or at least, this now provides some uncertainty in Marvel's direction which until now was mostly predictable since they are just following the most popular story lines of the past.

Yet, it seems some people only want predictability. Look at the moaning about the Mandarin reveal in IM3.

If you don't want to read crazy, outrageous stories, why are you reading comic books?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2014, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I don't read comics, but somehow I hear about these things that are "big news", and when I look next it's all back to the old way again. In the last few years, Bruce Wayne died and Dick Grayson took over as Batman, Peter Parker died and was possessed by some supervillain, and wasn't Green Lantern gay? Meh. It's all clickbait at this point.
Comic books have always been "click bait," even before there was an internet.

As for Alan Scott/Green Lantern being gay? There's no way this guy couldn't be gay:

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2014, 02:38 PM

I find the actual Norse myths more interesting than the comic book versions.

Shit, I think I'd even like it more if it was a DC property. DC is mythology, Marvel is science fiction.

That said, DC never really understood that, nor really understands what to do with it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 17, 2014, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Outrageous stunts like this are the bread-and-butter of comic book writing.
Pretty much this. It's comics. They can undo anything they did at any time for any reason.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2014, 02:55 PM

Looks like my assumption was wrong, Angela will not be the new Thor, as they are both members of the new Avengers. Also, it appears Iron Man is getting a make-over:

EW Reveals New Avengers NOW Team | The Escapist

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2014, 03:21 PM

A black Captain America! Been done before, and it was the Falcon then, too (for @2 issues).

A female Thor!? Been there, done that.

He was a frog for a while, too (for those who champion amphibian equality).

Marvel does this stuff to show they're hip and "with it", then they go back to the original heros after a few months. It's a regularly scheduled publicity stunt.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2014, 04:09 PM

ExCELSIOR!

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2014, 05:39 PM

I like switching stuff up like this. I'm very tired of the physically strong male hero type character in all kinds of movies. It just seems like Hollywood has exhausted this character. I realize that comic books are not movies, but...

I also find how women are used in these sorts of roles to be very sexist. When women are used, they look like barbie dolls with big tits, kind of a male fantasy, rather than, say, what a female olympic athlete would look like. Why do they have to have rocking bodies, and look beautiful? There are many male hero type characters that don't.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2014, 10:57 PM

You don't think female athletes have rocking bodies?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 12:17 AM

Is rockin > smokin?

Where does "built like a brick shithouse" fit in?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
You don't think female athletes have rocking bodies?
It depends on what kind of athlete. A weightlifter, maybe not.

You get my point though?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2014, 04:23 AM

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2014, 08:34 AM

Where does "built like a brick shithouse" fit in?
That means stacked. Stacked just means a big chest.

Athletes don't tend to have big chests, after all it's mostly fat and water. So a true feminine action hero would not be stacked to the extreme. Well cut muscles without being Steroid Sally as well.

And perhaps a uniform that does something to protect, not just enhance T&A.

mattyb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2014, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
Like a Wonder Woman type costume !!!!!

I'm soooooooo funny!

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 01:46 PM

That means stacked. Stacked just means a big chest.

Athletes don't tend to have big chests, after all it's mostly fat and water. So a true feminine action hero would not be stacked to the extreme. Well cut muscles without being Steroid Sally as well.

Unfortunately, anything rigidly covering the T, if it's shaped like the T, will in reality funnel most chestal impacts right into your sternum.

The best option is to strap them completely down, and wear male armor only slightly modified for differing shoulders and hip size.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 02:14 PM

I say "unfortunately" for the pubescent male teenagers these things are targeted at. It's actually quite fortunate for the person wearing it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 02:15 PM

How many superheroes really need to be men anyway? Maybe the Incredible Hulk, and that's it? Heroes that are simply strong are boring anyway. I would like for heroes to have some real depth to them rather than just being big and strong.

andi*pandi
Jul 18, 2014, 02:17 PM

Post-jumped:

Subego, I'm ok with being that practical, if it means heroines won't be having wardrobe malfunctions if they do a flip in the air. Even Xena had shoulder straps! It's really hard to fight crime/alien invasion while dealing with a wedgie!

Besson, I think there was a she-hulk somewhere along the line. Probably a) to try to appeal to female readers... or b) to have a scantily clad giant woman appeal to teenage boys. (Oh no, her clothes got shredded off AGAIN!)

As a female reader/watcher, it's not so much a quid-pro-quo thing of oh, they've got superman, to appeal we've got to have supergirl... that's just a tiny step. Supergirl is better than no girls in the show, don't get me wrong. Better is having interesting female characters that can stand on their own merits. There doesn't have to be an Adam's Rib step.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 02:18 PM

I think an argument can be made it's something of a requirement for the superheroes with "man" or "boy" in the title.

If only so they can split the line to then have a "woman" and "girl" version.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
How many superheroes really need to be men anyway?
The ones that use cars, at least.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 02:24 PM

I'm ok with that, if it means heroines won't be having wardrobe malfunctions if they do a flip in the air. Even Xena had shoulder straps!

It's really hard to fight crime/alien invasion while dealing with a wedgie.
I'm an armor purist, so it bugs me. The whole point of armor is to deflect impact. Those things on Xena's boobs either get stuck in the opponent's weapon, or funnel blows right into her cleavage.

Gabrielle's "armor" makes more sense. At least she's not weighed down by it. I'd lose the bangles though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 18, 2014, 07:36 PM

Thor is now a Disney princess.

Do the math.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2014, 09:14 PM

I'm an armor purist, so it bugs me. The whole point of armor is to deflect impact. Those things on Xena's boobs either get stuck in the opponent's weapon, or funnel blows right into her cleavage.
Xena could catch a sword ninja-style between her palms. I bet she could do the same with her boobs.

How did Marvel explain She-Hulk's bra? If Banner's shirt got shredded to pieces every time he transformed, she'd need something pretty special. And why then didn't they both make all their clothes out of the same stretchy stuff as their shorts?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2014, 02:56 AM

Xena could catch a sword ninja-style between her palms. I bet she could do the same with her boobs.

How did Marvel explain She-Hulk's bra? If Banner's shirt got shredded to pieces every time he transformed, she'd need something pretty special. And why then didn't they both make all their clothes out of the same stretchy stuff as their shorts?
Her body suit IS like that, Reed Richards designed it for her back when she joined the Fantastic 4.
- Thomas Paine

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2014, 04:29 AM

Post-jumped:

Subego, I'm ok with being that practical, if it means heroines won't be having wardrobe malfunctions if they do a flip in the air. Even Xena had shoulder straps! It's really hard to fight crime/alien invasion while dealing with a wedgie!

Besson, I think there was a she-hulk somewhere along the line. Probably a) to try to appeal to female readers... or b) to have a scantily clad giant woman appeal to teenage boys. (Oh no, her clothes got shredded off AGAIN!)

As a female reader/watcher, it's not so much a quid-pro-quo thing of oh, they've got superman, to appeal we've got to have supergirl... that's just a tiny step. Supergirl is better than no girls in the show, don't get me wrong. Better is having interesting female characters that can stand on their own merits. There doesn't have to be an Adam's Rib step.
Andi

Try this...
OK so it's not a super hero strip , but it does feature one of the best written and fully realised female characters in comics:

Stumptown is a great read and the black and white art has a lovely 70s comic feel.

try it.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2014, 10:51 AM

Marvel has come on leaps and bounds since I was a kid but I always found their characters were rather simple and it got a bit dull for me. Anyone who likes something with more depth, originality, and variety of styles and humours should check out 2000AD. Its never been short of strong, interesting women either.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2014, 12:35 PM

For the D&D geeks...

I grew up thinking Umber Hulks were green because the Hulk was green.

You know, instead of, I don't know... umber?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 20, 2014, 03:32 PM

Who knows, maybe it'll be as big as Batwoman...

As long as female Thor is the woman he rescued in Thor 2011/2013 then it would make sense.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2014, 03:58 PM

Marvel has come on leaps and bounds since I was a kid but I always found their characters were rather simple and it got a bit dull for me. Anyone who likes something with more depth, originality, and variety of styles and humours should check out 2000AD. Its never been short of strong, interesting women either.
When I was a kid, the US equivalent was First comics.

American Flagg was very much the US Judge Dredd.

You could almost call it a ripoff, but the social commentary was aimed squarely at consumerism, so it plumbed the depths of a "shinier happier" future than Dredd does.

The badass cop of the future? He's a famous actor who lost his celebrity job to a hologram of himself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules