Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Big Thread of Black Friday Apple Madness

The Big Thread of Black Friday Apple Madness
ghporter
Administrator
Nov 10, 2018, 06:27 PM

It’s going to happen anyway, so I figured I’d start a thread on it for a wee bit of organization.

Sharing deals on Apple products is a good thing. Arguing about whether something “is a deal” or not is a bad thing, so arguing and kvetching about what folks share will get edited, infracted, or at least severely made fun of.

I’m currently looking at replacing my ELEVEN YEAR OLD iMac, and the Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES, or “the Base/Post Exchange”) is offering 12 months 0 interest on Apple purchases over $499 on their in-house credit card. With the (small) discount AAFES is allowed to price Apple products at, plus the excellent lack of sales tax, this looks like a very good deal to me. Caveat: this isn’t really a Black Friday deal, since it only runs until November 22, and you gotta be an authorized AAFES patron (military or retired military or dependent thereof) to participate.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
Nov 18, 2018, 11:09 AM

Not so big so far...

Aren’t there any Apple-specific deals out there? Yes there are:
Best Buy has the 27” iMac on sale for $200 off list price. They also have the Home Pod for $100 off list price (same web page), and similar savings on iPad Pro and MBPs/MBAs on this page.

Who’s next?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Ham Sandwich
Nov 18, 2018, 08:04 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:08 AM. )

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 20, 2018, 11:14 AM

Samsung 1TB SSD for $127.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078DPCY3T...v_ov_lig_dp_it

What are the odd there will be a better deal out there? This is pretty tempting.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 20, 2018, 08:30 PM

Isn’t about $130-$140 the going rate?

P
Nov 22, 2018, 11:00 AM

$127 is an OK price, but storage prices are on the way down, and Samsung just announced that they will go to market with QLC flash, which will further drive down the price of large slowish SSDs (which is what that is).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 22, 2018, 11:23 PM

I haven’t seen many particularly great deals. Lots of old inventory blow-out...
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2018, 05:05 AM

Lots of blowback this year here as retailers are exposed as generally hiking prices in the run up in order to manufacture apparent big savings, old inventory is touted as bargains and offers turn out to be cheaper elsewhere off Black Friday.

Five years ago there may have been some genuine bargains on offer but a combination of hype marketing, saturation and online prices already being bone thin silvers above suppliers prices means its become a hollow shell of a consumerist frenzy.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

P
Nov 23, 2018, 07:18 AM

Yes, it feels the same here this year. There are deals on some things, but there are silly deals like this every other week now.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 23, 2018, 07:42 AM

I mean, it was $330 last January down to $130 today. It's the cheapest "name-brand" SSD by $5-15.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 23, 2018, 09:39 AM

I thought the idea was a “Black Friday deal” is worth murdering someone over.

You need to slip me a $20 for that.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2018, 11:50 AM

I grabbed the SSD and also an XFX RX 580 8GB. The plan is to use it to install Mojave on my Mac Pro then throw it in the gaming PC for a nice upgrade from my current R7 265 2GB. Oh yeah, I kind of accidentally bought 6 Mac Pros last week. One was a cheap 8-core and I was able to use the eBay 15% off coupon to make it better, one was a legit 8-core Mac Pro 5,1 but was mislabeled as a G5 and the pictures weren't working, and the other four were a package deal from Ted Cruz's campaign, complete with stickers still on them. The plan is to make the best one of the four with case/components, then flip the rest.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 29, 2018, 01:56 PM

No knock-em-over deals here either. I bought some small USB flash drives, but more because I wanted them anyway. The price seemed inline with where the normal price would be today.

Edit: make that a definite regular price. Just checked - they're the same today as when I ordered.

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2018, 02:00 PM

I bought an external hard drive, but didn't really shop around. someone else did.

lol ted cruz computers.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 29, 2018, 03:10 PM

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2018, 11:13 PM

Not a single deal on the new Mac Mini, unfortunately. I haven’t even seen it available up here in Canada except on the Apple Store.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules