Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Docking station recommendations

Docking station recommendations
shadybirdstan
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2002, 12:50 PM

Does anybody have one for their TiBook or can recommend one to me.

Thanks.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2002, 01:17 PM

Which model do you have? These people are coming out with a G4 DVI docking station, and they offer docking stations for pretty much every other recent Apple notebook.

www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz/

shadybirdstan  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2002, 01:36 PM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Which model do you have? These people are coming out with a G4 DVI docking station, and they offer docking stations for pretty much every other recent Apple notebook.

www.bookendzdocks.com/bookendz/
I have a TiPB 667 (not DVI).

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2002, 01:41 PM

You need the "BE-01G40T" that BookEndz offers...

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 01:56 PM

I have a BookEndz dock for my Ti/400. Overall, it's been a mixed experience. It does require a lot of effort to get it docked precisely, and I've had ongoing problems with Firewire drives that don't mount or hang when connected to the dock. Also, the VGA connector causes significant ghosting if you use a high-resolution external monitor.

On the other hand, their support has been great...after I returned it for inspection, and they couldn't find anything wrong, they are now replacing the dock with a new one. This is after the warranty has expired. I'll see if that helps.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2002, 01:58 PM

That problem might be related to your PowerBook as well. Build quality has gone up dramatically since the first incarnation of Titanium PowerBook. Then again, ports are ports, and the thing should stay connected no matter what...

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 05:42 PM

That problem might be related to your PowerBook as well.
Yeah, that could be part of the problem. I've heard about various Firewire problems on the first-generation TiBooks (which mine is). Fortunately, I haven't fried the motherboard yet...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2002, 06:54 PM

I don't know. It shouldn't be a problem, but build quality on these machines was definitely not what it should have been...

I haven't heard of the FireWire connection dropping on first-generation TiBooks. I've only heard of slow connections.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2002, 09:35 PM

I haven't heard of the FireWire connection dropping on first-generation TiBooks. I've only heard of slow connections.
I think there are several things going on, all related to Firewire. First, the dock is definitely a problem, as I don't have as many problems when the drives are connected directly to the TiBook (at least once a day with the dock, maybe once every couple of weeks when connected directly). Second, there could be issues with the first gen TiBooks, given that I do have occasional problems when the drives are connected directly. Finally, I'm not convinced that OS X has ever implemented Firewire with the same stability as OS 9 did.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 6, 2002, 10:35 PM

Then, it's a connection fault. Something's losing connection in there. There's basically no hardware inside those docking stations besides connections from the PowerBook's ports to a "replicated" set of ports.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 7, 2002, 03:14 PM

I for one am not a huge fan of BookEndz... I've found that in the time it takes to get the darn thing lined up right, you could just manually connect the plugs. And considering how expensive BookEndz are... yikes!

Nobody else makes PowerBook port replicators, as far as I know.

tooki

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2002, 06:51 PM

I can't vouch for the quality of these products, but I can say they're the closest things to "docking stations" that "shadybirdstan" asked for.

Macola
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2002, 09:09 PM

Well, I received my replacement BookEndz dock today and will see how it goes with the Firewire problems. The video ghosting is still there, though, and it's somewhat annoying.

Shadybirdstan, if you're interested in purchasing one (almost brand new), I may be selling mine

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2002, 01:25 PM

I have a 7-port USB hub with keyboard, mouse, Zip, floppy, laserjet and Palm reduced to a single connection to my PB. All in all, I have four connectors to get my TiBook "docked": ext. monitor, ethernet (will migrate to Airport soon), FireWire and USB hub.

Total time to connect: 3 seconds.

As far as price, you simply cannot beat this solution!

Mark
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

Forum Links
Forum Rules