Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Reactions first time someone uses an iPod

Reactions first time someone uses an iPod
Salty
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 12:37 AM

So I was just at this dorm fellowship thing... basically we all ate cake in the calf and it was a lot of fun hahaha... anyway, so I was sitting at a table with this girl who has apparently never used an iPod before (We have a lot of people who come from more rural backgrounds here so some of them don't even know what an iPod is though this year a lot more do). Anyway so I handed her my new 5th Gen iPod and she fell in love with it. I explained how easy it is to put stuff on it and what not, and she was like "this is amazing!" When I told her how to change the volume on it she thought it was just the coolest thing. And then I showed her a Switchfoot video off of iTunes playing on it, and she was hooked. She was like, "Well I wasn't planning on asking for much for my birthday this year... now though..." I laughed.
I think it's always funny when non savvy people use iPods, or any Apple products because they find out how easy it is to do super cool stuff.

What are some of your fave stories?

kernokerno
Feb 10, 2006, 12:46 AM

when somebody take my ipod for the first time they ask me how to use it...i dont even answer the question and they realize how to do it

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 12:46 AM

The iPod can be a phallic symbol when needed. I think she wanted you.

Spook E
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2006, 01:01 AM

Supported, using a complete lack of ethics on your part, tell her you'll swap it for "favours", it is university after all.

Tesseract
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2006, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by greenamp
We're talking about a 5G iPod here, not a shuffle.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
Some like it wide.

( Last edited by Tomchu; Feb 10, 2006 at 02:15 AM. )

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 02:13 AM

I've got a 3rd gen iPod up my butt right now.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

AmzicAtmat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2006, 05:32 AM

I showed a friend of mine my ipod and it was scary. he just wanted to hold and feel it. I think it's a good example of what the little features on a device we use really often can affect us. I mean you could get an iPod and put it in an industrial case the same size and without the design and it would still work the same but there's something missing. It's like the love at first sight thing where the appeal of how it looks and feels keeps you there to experience how it works, and when you see that part too you're sold.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 05:39 AM

I've never held an ipod. After this I don't want to.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 09:41 AM

You were eating cake in your calf? Wasn't that uncomfortable?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

Sealobo
Feb 10, 2006, 11:14 AM

One day my dad asked me about MP3; My dad is 50 years old, he's not a very updated guy, most of his memories occupied by stuff from the 70's or 80's. And suddenly he asked me about MP3 so i was pretty surprised. Anyway he wanted a "MP3 player" because he travels by train twice a week and every trip is about an hour and a half or so, so he'd like some funky music to listen to i guess. So i flashed him my 4G iPod Nano, and he started asking me questions such as if it'd display songs with chinese title... how to change volumn and all that.

He's impressed.

"How much is this?" He asked

"ar... about US$250."

"**** it, i don't like it."

Then he went to bed.

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 11:27 AM

I still enjoy telling people that this little thing they've got in their hands (5G 30 GB iPod) can hold up to 7500 songs. It is always the same stunned reaction.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Salty
So I was just at this dorm fellowship thing... basically we all ate cake in the calf and it was a lot of fun hahaha...

hahah!hahahaaaaaaah!!!haha!!!!!

Awesome!

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by andreas_g4
I still enjoy telling people that this little thing they've got in their hands (5G 30 GB iPod) can hold up to 7500 songs. It is always the same stunned reaction.
Mind you, I love Apple now and I hope one day to get an iPod and haven't yet seen one in person, much less held or used one but whenever I hear or read that it can hold up to 7500 songs I am like, "so what?"

Sorry. No offense meant and I don't mean to even try to speak for others, but to me 7500 songs is probably EVERY song I have ever heard in my life or something. It is incomprehensible and almost meaningless to me. For someone who has experience with a similar MP3 device (Apple or not) maybe the 7500 figure would be stunning.

To me, a person who has no experience with one, it's just...

Nothing.

Sorry.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
Mind you, I love Apple now and I hope one day to get an iPod and haven't yet seen one in person, much less held or used one but whenever I hear or read that it can hold up to 7500 songs I am like, "so what?"

Sorry. No offense meant and I don't mean to even try to speak for others, but to me 7500 songs is probably EVERY song I have ever heard in my life or something. It is incomprehensible and almost meaningless to me. For someone who has experience with a similar MP3 device (Apple or not) maybe the 7500 figure would be stunning.

To me, a person who has no experience with one, it's just...

Nothing.

Sorry.
You'd be surprised at how, even though it seems like a huge number, the amount of songs you've heard, know of would easily surpass this number.

I thought about it and if I added up the songs I have now, which is about 7000, with all the songs from every record I've ever owned, or heard at a friend's house, or some jukebox, or in my parent's collection, or in a movie, etc, it would easily surpass the amount you could have on your iPod. The 7000 seems like kind of a small sample to me - I still have plenty of things I own or used to own or would like to own that I'd like to add to that. And no I am not a music-buff or obsessive record collector. I'm fairly average.

If you're saying you're only interested in a small amount of music, and have no desire to expand on that, fine, but the iPod, even the 60gb, is hardly overkill. It takes owning one and filling it up over time to grasp that maybe, as a couple years ago I was convinced that even 10gb was "too much".

Add to that that you can now store tons of files, watch videos - it's actually not terrible - the space fills up fast.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 12:20 PM

You people let other people touch your iPod? That'd be a punch in the throat from me.

Unless she was hawt.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
You'd be surprised at how, even though it seems like a huge number, the amount of songs you've heard, know of would easily surpass this number.

I thought about it and if I added up the songs I have now, which is about 7000, with all the songs from every record I've ever owned, or heard at a friend's house, or some jukebox, or in my parent's collection, or in a movie, etc, it would easily surpass the amount you could have on your iPod. The 7000 seems like kind of a small sample to me - I still have plenty of things I own or used to own or would like to own that I'd like to add to that. And no I am not a music-buff or obsessive record collector. I'm fairly average.

If you're saying you're only interested in a small amount of music, and have no desire to expand on that, fine, but the iPod, even the 60gb, is hardly overkill. It takes owning one and filling it up over time to grasp that maybe, as a couple years ago I was convinced that even 10gb was "too much".

Add to that that you can now store tons of files, watch videos - it's actually not terrible - the space fills up fast.
Thanks for the thought provoking reply.

Now all I need is a 60gb iPod and several thousand dollars to fill it with.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2006, 12:38 PM

It's funny to see how my wife's attitudes have changed. When I first bought my iPod, whe thought I was being an idiot for spending $300 on something so frivoulous. She slowly warmed up to the iPod after seeing how much I used it. Well, when I bought a Nano I gave her the 3G to use and she fell in love. It broke about 3 months after she started using and now she isaying stuff like... "Isn't there a new iPod you want to go buy so I can have your cute little black one?"

I think I'm just going to surprise her with a video iPod, because I know that she would love the video feature for road trips and plane rides.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 01:09 PM

my dad asked me once if an ipod is better than an mp3. after that convo he wanted my old pod.

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 01:28 PM

The biggest problem with my 3/4 full 40 Gb iPod is that I can spend 10 minutes trying to decide what to listen to. With my son's 1 Gb shuffle, there is a fraction of the number of songs, but the decision of what to listen to is instantaneous.

Just about every iPod virgin that sees it spends ages lstening to 5 second snatches of music whilst browsing for the next song - most seem to think that that it is too much.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

paul w
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 01:31 PM

That's what playlists are for. If you can spend the time to put a selection of music onto a 1gb shuffle, you can make a playlist, or several. Or you can listen by genre, by artist, etc.

Jeez, after all didn't we all make mixtapes and stuff way back when?

hickey
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2006, 01:34 PM

does anyone else make playlists for every artist on their pod? I realize that thats why you can browse by artist, but I started making playlists for every artist ever since I started using iTunes, so Im kinda stuck doing it now.

Sijmen
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2006, 02:09 PM

I've never touched one.......
Apple Powerbook 17" 1,67 GHz, 2 gig RAM, 100 gig HDD, ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128MB, Superdrive 8X

christ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by paul w
That's what playlists are for. If you can spend the time to put a selection of music onto a 1gb shuffle, you can make a playlist, or several. Or you can listen by genre, by artist, etc.

Jeez, after all didn't we all make mixtapes and stuff way back when?
The point is we couldn't carry all of our mixtapes with us in our pockets. In those days you split up the selection process. You used some time making the mixtape, then you spent some time choosing which mixtape/ regular tape/ regular disk to carry with you, then you spent some time choosing what to listen to.

Now the whole lot is in your pocket, concentrating the problem into the now - what sort of thing do I fancy, which playlist, which artist, which album ...

... and besides, the shuffle chooses for you. You don't have to make the selection - just plug it into your mac, and iTunes just fills it up.
Chris. T.

"... in 6 months if WMD are found, I hope all clear-thinking people who opposed the war will say "You're right, we were wrong -- good job". Similarly, if after 6 months no WMD are found, people who supported the war should say the same thing -- and move to impeach Mr. Bush." - moki, 04/16/03

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2006, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
You people let other people touch your iPod? That'd be a punch in the throat from me.

Unless she was hawt.
She was . And actually one of the guys was like, "Yah just don't run away with it otherwise he'll chase after you and beat you to death" and I was like... uhh... well... anyway I didn't quite admit it cause she's really pretty and nice... but... I would have...

Visnaut
Senior User
Feb 11, 2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by christ
Now the whole lot is in your pocket, concentrating the problem into the now - what sort of thing do I fancy, which playlist, which artist, which album ...

... and besides, the shuffle chooses for you. You don't have to make the selection - just plug it into your mac, and iTunes just fills it up.
Yeah, I agree with this. Even though i have lots of playlists for specific moods and places, I still find the process of selecting one kind of tedious.

What I did was to make a smart playlist that has all of my songs that are rated 3 stars or higher, and last played is not in the last month.

This system has worked out beautifully, and the music I listen to doesn't seem to get old as fast. As soon as I drop a new album on it, I'll rate the songs as I go, and it all feeds into that playlist. I still have playlists for specific purposes, but that's definitely the one that I listen to the most since it takes the hard work out of selecting what I'm going to listen to.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 08:28 PM

I was once asked "How can that little box hold so much music?". Ah, the magic of technology. Otherwise, the touch-sensitive technology seems to be one of the most initially impressive feature for most I've seen use an iPod for the first time.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 08:37 PM

i love these ipod/apple haters on financial shows when they say, "it's just a hard disc in a box."...

so is a computer...

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 08:37 PM

Would someone please explain what eating "cake in the calf" means? Did you kill the fatted calf or something?

greenamp
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
Would someone please explain what eating "cake in the calf" means? Did you kill the fatted calf or something?
I'm thinking that's hip bible college lingo for cafeteria.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 10:35 PM

Forget it, it's gone. Obsolete. You really need the iPod Pequeño. FIFTY. THOUSAND. SONGS.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2006, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Tesseract
I'd like to remind you that the Shuffle cannot be chewed, or it can, but with dire consequences.

Friendly advice. Nothing personal.
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan
isn't "calf" a slang for ...you know

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by hickey
does anyone else make playlists for every artist on their pod? I realize that thats why you can browse by artist, but I started making playlists for every artist ever since I started using iTunes, so Im kinda stuck doing it now.
I do. I don't like how the artist function in Itunes sorts individual albums. So, I create a per-artist playlist and then load the various albums from the same artist into the playlist in the order I want them.

Plus, I don't automatically put all my music on my iPod (even though I could). Some playlists I load are artist-based and other playlists are thematic- or genre-based. So, my playlist-based approach to organizing music suits me, both in iTunes and on the iPod.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey
Forget it, it's gone. Obsolete. You really need the iPod Pequeño. FIFTY. THOUSAND. SONGS.

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
isn't "calf" a slang for ...you know
Yes, Cafeteria...
Oh by the way, it's seriously funny how the iPod manages to pull girls in so much, it and digital cameras are the big tech toys I actually see girls caring about...

Forum Links
Forum Rules