Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Shared library manager nightmare, HELP!

Shared library manager nightmare, HELP!
jimlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2002, 08:02 AM

ibook - OS9.2.2 - 500mhz - 384mb -

I've established (through approx 40 restarts) 'shared library manager ppc' is related to a problem which causes most apps to quit with a type 3 error on the close of a window. (more recently type 2's) Disabling this extension obviously takes out open transport functions etc but allows the applications to operate normally.

After running diskwarrior, techtool, zapping pram upgrading OS from 9.2.1 to 9.2.2 the problem remains. I am totally baffled and am beginning to suspect hardware - but if I can make these symptoms go away by disabling an extension...?

Curiously appletalk could not be turned off from the csm strip "the appletalk state could not be changed because an error occurred" although I've just managed to inactivate it via the chooser - but the problem remains.

Once an application has quit with this error, choosing restart or shutdown results in a system freeze. I'm running out of ideas and have searched here/apple/macfixit and have found a couple of similiar references but no solutions. One reference suggested even wiping the HD didn't work.

If I were to do a clean install of system software with a 9.2.1 CD - yet the current OS is 9.2.2 (9.2.2 was a downloaded update) might this be problematic - what is the best way.

Anyway, any help appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Jim

Forum Links
Forum Rules