Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > OS info for a B&W 350

OS info for a B&W 350
Chinasaur
Senior User
Dec 22, 2002, 08:33 PM

Greets all,

I have a B&W 350 arriving Tuesday and I'm looking for information on OS's so I can make an informed choice as to which I install. The system will have 384MB RAM initially.

I have researched B&W's and OS's here at MacNN but I am so out of date (Performa 635CD and 7.1.2p) that I can't make an informed choice. I don't know what features came out in OS8, much less OS9, to make a choice as to OS 8.5(6) or OS 9.0(1).

My other computers run BeOS and Linux so speed is very important to me. I am looking for speed and stability over bells and whistles. I don't want to feel any slowdown due to OS. The computer will be used as a DVD player, CD burner, general internet - IRC, email, surfing.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

bgmccollum
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2002, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
Greets all,

I have a B&W 350 arriving Tuesday and I'm looking for information on OS's so I can make an informed choice as to which I install. The system will have 384MB RAM initially.

I have researched B&W's and OS's here at MacNN but I am so out of date (Performa 635CD and 7.1.2p) that I can't make an informed choice. I don't know what features came out in OS8, much less OS9, to make a choice as to OS 8.5(6) or OS 9.0(1).

My other computers run BeOS and Linux so speed is very important to me. I am looking for speed and stability over bells and whistles. I don't want to feel any slowdown due to OS. The computer will be used as a DVD player, CD burner, general internet - IRC, email, surfing.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

solid, fast, reliable...unlike that other mac operating system with the letter X in it. i better shut up, lemmings might get offended...

George Orville
Forum Regular
Dec 24, 2002, 07:23 PM

Originally posted by Chinasaur:
. I am looking for speed and stability

I have been running 8.6 on 6116 and 7300.....very good....
Since then I have moved up to 9.1 on my 7300......It is very, very stable....especially when surfing the WEB

bigbiker

Cipher13
Dec 25, 2002, 08:45 AM

9.1 full install.

OR

9.0.4 download, if you can't get a 9.1 full install.

Don't use 9.2.

Don't use the 9.1 downloaded update.

Chinasaur  (op)
Senior User
Dec 25, 2002, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the input Was kind of you all to help. I'll probably go with the 9.1 install.

I found this OS timeline when looking at upgrade info for my father's 6100. Good info here on what was in some past releases -

http://www.kan.org/6100/os.html
iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 2, 2003, 03:46 AM

9.1-9.2.2 are essentially identical. The updates provide hardware support for newer models, and Classic environment support, but not much else.

Steer clear of 9.0.x, there are some dumb bugs in it (like that it never purges the temporary items). You'll also find that 9.1 is the minimum version for a lot of software.

8.6 is good, too, but not quite as net-savvy as 9. But 8.6 uses a bit less RAM.

For playing DVDs, I honestly recommend using OS X (10.1 or greater). The OS X DVD player (DVD Player 3.0, which runs in software on a B&W) is better than DVD Player 1.3, which is the last version that supports the B&W's hardware decoder. (The OS 8/9 software DVD player [DVD Player 2.x] will not launch on a B&W.)

tooki

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2003, 11:37 AM

Run 9.1 and no less. Go ahead and run 9.2.1 or 9.2.2 if you wish. There is nothing above 9.1 that will harm or slow down your B&W G3.

Take tooki's advice and avoid 9.0.4. 9.1 was a bug fix and it did just that, fixed bugs.

Expect to pay $50 or more for an OS9 CD. They are in hot demand now that OSX is the new "standard" (ironically).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
9.1 full install.

OR

9.0.4 download, if you can't get a 9.1 full install.

Don't use 9.2.

Don't use the 9.1 downloaded update.
Just curious about the difference between the download update and the Apple CD update.

KaptainKaya
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2003, 12:23 AM

Dont worry, I'll vouch for the one that said to stay away from X. I have Jag on it and it basically kills the computer. Literally. Apps all of a sudden crash and then they wont launch after. Not even logging out and then in again fixes it. Tomorrow on my day off I am wiping it and putting 9.1 on it. 9.2 is too buggy and 8.6 has a few features out that 9.1 has.

Forum Links
Forum Rules