Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Trash Can EXTREMELY SLOW To Empty

Trash Can EXTREMELY SLOW To Empty
BigDBoy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2001, 01:20 PM

Ok, my trash can is taking forever to empty. This just started happening 2-3 weeks ago.

My specs:
G4/400
20 Gig Drive
384 Meg Ram

Also, I am not running Norton Utilities or Tech Tool Pro (some people cited these as potential problems, but I'm not running them).

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

Jeff

------------------
Mac G4/400
MacOS 9
384 Meg Ram
20 Gig Hard Drive
Mac G4/400
MacOS 9
384 Meg Ram
20 Gig Hard Drive

sosumi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2001, 10:03 AM

You say this started happening 2 or 3 weeks ago. Has it emptied yet??

hmr
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2001, 08:00 PM

The only thing I can think of is that some piece of software is backing up the contents of the Trash - but you say you're not using that kind of software.
Is it always this slow? Are you trashing a large amount each time?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
May 22, 2001, 09:51 PM

My iMac used to take a looonnnggg time to empty the trash. Like I would watch the numbers go down one by one...
But once I did a clean intall, it was all good again.
I thought maybe it was all fragmented, and it had to search and search for every part of the each file or something...

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

JakeTuba
Aug 2, 2003, 01:02 PM

Newbie here, posting for the first time. I may be new to the forum, but I'm not to the Mac. 8 )

I've been fighting with slow to empty trash for about a year now. The quick fix was to switch Extensions to the base set and reboot just to empty trash. Unfortunately, I found this problem started affecting the cache emptying of Netscape as well. When you've got 5000 items to delete, 3 seconds each takes a heck of a chunk out of your day. So, I started playing with system extensions.

I've read from previous posts that Norton filesaver causes problems, but I didn't realize that TechTool Pro has issues as well. What I found in extensions was a sleeper called "Protection Extension" from the package "Utilicus Maximus" v3.0.4 which I traced to TechTool Pro 3. After disabling this extension, deletion was back to normal... 10sec / 3000 items!

That's more like it! 8 )

So, moral of the story is... if you're out there using TechTool Pro and have slow to empty trash, check your extensions. Even if you aren't using TTPs file protection, the extension may still load every time you reboot.

Compute This! Mac out...
SMILE! God loves YOU! 8 )

Forum Links
Forum Rules