Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac G5 software headache, or is it only me?

New iMac G5 software headache, or is it only me?
Romeo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2005, 04:46 PM

I purchased an iMac G5 last week, and have been very happy with it, until I started experiencing software problems. A couple of days before the problems started, I installed a DPD Systems 1GB memory stick, but I don't think the following problems are related to "memory:"

When I using the iMac a couple of days ago, "Software Update" showed approximately 11 updates for this iMac, including OS X Combined. I went ahead and let the computer download and update all the software. Later that day I tried to use "Mac Help," but it crashed, and I immediately filled-in some sort of document that appeared on the screen. This document was a "Crash notice" to Apple Computers.

Everything was working fine, so I tried "Mac Help' again, and this time the Mac Help screen was completely blank, except for the "Q" box where one enters the question, and the icons on the top edge of the Help screen. Also, the fans kicked in high gear, like the computer was trying very hard to find what I had asked for on the question box. I quit Mac Help, and called Apple. One of the technicians guided me to the Library folder, and then to the Mac Help preferences. He told me to trash two Mac Help preferences, and that solved the problem with Mac Help. Notice that Mac help was working with all other applications, except when I tried to use it in the Finder.
--------
I set the computer so it starts each morning. Last night (New Year's eve), I shut down the computer. This morning the first thing I tried to do was to check my mail, so I clicked on the Mail icon in the dock, but nothing happened. It looked like the computer was trying to connect via the router and modem (i could see the lights), but "Mail" would hang and it's screen would be blank. I managed to quit Mail, and tried Safari, but again the application would hang (I could see a color wheel spinning). Well, after several tries I tried to restart the computer, but I would get a notice on the screen indicating "The Finder is not responding."

I then tried to force a keyboard restart, and again I would get the little notice. I left things alone after that, since I didn't want to pull the plug and further damage the software. Instead, I clicked on several applications that don't require connecting to the Internet (Appleworks, Word, Address book, etc), and all seemed to work. Only those applications that relied on modem connections failed to launch fully (they would hang).

After that, I decided to look at the "Internet Connect" icon, and noticed that I had left it open. I closed the folder (s), and then clicked on "Log Out" and the computer logged out normally. Once I got to the Log Out/In screen, I clicked on "Restart" and the computer has been working like nothing wrong had happened this morning.

i will do so more troubleshooting as soon as I can, but i don't know enough about Mac OS X to mess around with it (I only know enough about Mac OS 9.1 to 9.2.2). My iMac has been updated to the latest software from Apple, except for "Airport" software, and for firmware upgrades (i don't want to try any of those for the time being, unless it's required prior to further software updates).

Have any of you experienced such a problem with your new iMac after the following:

1. Memory stick installation
2. Software updates

I apologize for the lengthy post.

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2005, 08:53 PM

I haven't had any issues at all with my new iMac. However what I do know is that slightly faulty ram can cause all sorts of obscure problems. I would suggest taking out the 1gb chip and seeing if it runs normally. If not, I'd recommend you do an 'erase and install' of Mac OS.

Another tip is that before and after every system update or major installation it is a good idea to repair permissions. To do this run Disk Utility (in the //Applications/Utilities folder), select the hard disk and click on repair permissions.

I hope this helps. I've never had any problems like this with my iBook or iMac.
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

ooninay
Jan 3, 2005, 02:43 AM

This doesn't address all of the problems you're having, but there is a known problem with the latest OS X update (10.3.7), where at least some Internet applications, including Mail, Safari, and iChat, take a very long time to start up. When I first upgraded I too thought they were hanging when I tried to start them, but they just took a long time--up to a minute. So if you're lucky, the problems you're having with Mail and Safari may be unrelated to the original problem you reported.

Romeo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2005, 12:36 AM

Followup:

I haven't had any more problems with my iMac. it's working as it should now. The problems I had may have been related to "preferences" incompatibilities after the updates.

I have also been using a 1GB Patriot memory stick from PDP Systems, along a 512MB from Apple, and can't tell of any problems related to the RAM. I bought it from "newegg.com."

Forum Links
Forum Rules