Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > new pb's and 30" display question

new pb's and 30" display question
reemas
Senior User
Feb 10, 2005, 12:05 PM

how is it that the new powerbooks can power the 30" cinema display? (dont they require some expensive $400 nvidia card to do so??)

also, if you do power an external display 19" - 30", will there be a perfomance decrease in applications? games?

thanks.

hanxu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 12:39 PM

I think new powerbook ships with 2 dvi ports, the reason that 30" display needed a nVidia card is because they can support 2 dvi and enough power to drive the hugh display.

Secondly, big display won't decrease game speed, but higher resolution will affect the overall performance of video graphic card.

Higher resolution = more detailed etc.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 01:17 PM

Wouldn't this mean that the 17" PB could drive 2 external 20" ACD's?
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 01:31 PM

Good grief...just go to Apple's site and read before saying "the 17" PB has TWO DVI PORTS!!!"

No, the 17" PB doesn't have 2 DVI ports. Dual-LINK DVI is WAY different than Dual DVI ports. Dual-LINK DVI is a SINGLE DVI port but the connectors are slightly different to handle a massive amount of pixels. In other words, it's a super DVI port that's backwards compatible with any DVI display.

The 128MB card in the 17" PB and upgraded 15" PBs have this special Dual-LINK DVI port that allows the 30" Cinema to be ran. It's powerful enough to run the 30" Cinema.

If gaming on a huge display, the higher than resolution you try to use, the slower the 3d game performance.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

vandelay
Feb 10, 2005, 07:46 PM

So, has anybody around here actually tried the new 17'' PB with the 30'' display? I'd be really interested to hear how it performed, since this seems to be the feature that's the biggest improvement over the previous model.

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2005, 12:28 AM

If anyone wants to send me a 30" Display I'll be glad to try it out and let you know!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 11, 2005, 02:17 AM

To reiterate: dual-link DVI is NOT two connectors!

A DVI connector has two distinct sections: the grid of pins for digital, and the four pins around the spade for analog.

On single-link DVI, only half of the grid of pins is used (though they are usually present anyway). Dual-link DVI actually uses all the pins.

As for performance -- the only thing that might suffer is Expos� performance, and in Tiger, overall Core Image performance. For everyday things, it simply won't matter either way.

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 11, 2005, 02:21 AM

P.S. Since DVI was designed with dual-link in mind, I would have named dual-link DVI "full-link DVI" and single-link "half-link DVI", since that much more accurately describes the situation.

tooki

jzdziarski
Forum Regular
Feb 11, 2005, 06:28 PM

Just another marketing term. I wouldn't feel too bad about getting it wrong. The apple sales people told me it had two DVI ports. If they're mislead by it, I suspect anyone would be.

Forum Links
Forum Rules