Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Beige G3: can't get two hard drives to show up simultaneously.

Beige G3: can't get two hard drives to show up simultaneously.
lothar56
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005, 02:04 AM

I've got a beige G3 MT that has been working fine for quite some time. recently, I switched a single IDE cable to a double and installed another hard drive, making it a slave to the CD-ROM. No matter how i configured the two drives, I could only get one or the other to show up. So I switched busses and made it a slave off of the main hard drive. Same thing. Either one drive shows up or the other. But if I unplug one drive, the other always comes up. The only thing I can think of is a faulty cable. Besides that, is there anything else I'm missing?

wowok1234
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 2005, 03:34 AM

The first revision of the Beige G3 has a limitation in its ROM/firmware that only allowed for one drive on each IDE channel. Later revisions of the Beige G3 had this issue corrected. You most likely had a first rev. Beige G3. In any case, you can upgrade the rom to a rev 2 or rev 3 rom by getting a new rom chip.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/g3.shtml

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005, 12:06 PM

Ah, that would explain why my other beige G3 configured exactly the same way doesn't have that problem

I've got connections, so I'll look into a new ROM chip. It's the RAM-looking one next to the RAM right? Thanks for the info.

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 24, 2005, 03:23 PM

Shoot! After I redid my whole hard drive configuration and put the old scsi back, I read further down on that page and found OS X works around the ROM problem and will recognize a slave drive. Sorry, I should have told you I was trying to get it fixed in OS 9 before installing X. Oh well, it all works fine in X now.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2005, 10:37 PM

If anyone has this problem, you can always get an ATA PCI card. A beige B3 MT makes for a nice small file server after adding an Ethernet card and ATA card. Ahhh.. college memories. So much duct tape.

lothar56  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2005, 03:14 AM

I think os x is a better investment than a pci card to fix the problem, but you're right about the server, you can cram 5 hd's in there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules